Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possibly ingenious recording solution for Dashcam/Sentry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the apps available for this kind of stuff awhile ago when someone mentioned the Sandisk device and just now when I saw this link. To use the card reader with a lightning connector you need to use an app. I'm pretty cautious about what third party software I will download. For whatever reason all the software for this seems to come from China and they are either 2-1/2 stars or if higher few people reviewing it. For that reason I'd stay away from it and just download the microSD card files to my laptop.

Unless I would be wanting to see video of some event or roadtrip or scenery, if my car isn't damaged I really don't need to view anything.

I looked at the apps available for this kind of stuff awhile ago when someone mentioned the Sandisk device and just now when I saw this link. To use the card reader with a lightning connector you need to use an app. I'm pretty cautious about what third party software I will download. For whatever reason all the software for this seems to come from China and they are either 2-1/2 stars or if higher few people reviewing it. For that reason I'd stay away from it and just download the microSD card files to my laptop.

Tesla will have a solution to this in a few months or so. I wouldn't really worry about such a simple thing....

Wait.....who really cares about dashcam video...unless you need it.

For goodness sake - its already on a thumb drive.

• Disagree
Reactions: Triplett

Unless I would be wanting to see video of some event or roadtrip or scenery, if my car isn't damaged I really don't need to view anything.
Which App does this require? I didn't see anything listed in the AppStore for this. I'm currently using xDisk and as you mentioned, from China so I really don't use it any longer. I've resorted to pulling the microSD and looking on my computer.

Tesla will have a solution to this in a few months or so. I wouldn't really worry about such a simple thing....

Wait.....who really cares about dashcam video...unless you need it.

For goodness sake - its already on a thumb drive.
Actually this is an interesting option. With a thumb drive I have to take it to my laptop to view/save. With this I could just plug it into my phone and view or save videos as necessary. Very cool.

Which App does this require? I didn't see anything listed in the AppStore for this. I'm currently using xDisk and as you mentioned, from China so I really don't use it any longer. I've resorted to pulling the microSD and looking on my computer.

If you are talking about the one listed in #2 from Amazon, read the info under the Amazon listing for the reader. Think it was iUSB Pro and if you search on the App Store for it there will be a few other similar apps that come up when you search for that app name.

Last edited:
Read the info under the Amazon site for the reader. Think it was iUSB Pro and if you search on the App Store for it there will be a few other similar apps that come up when you search for that app name.
Got it thanks.

Edit: Similar problems I have had with xDisk. I have been unable to delete the files using this so have scrapped it and went back to pulling and using my computer.

I'll take "famous last words" for $1000 Alex!

Others who said the same-

Folks still waiting on setting charge stop time, folks still waiting on the AP1 promised features that will never arrive, folks still waiting on the ChaDemo Model 3 adapter since mid 2017...hell folks still waiting on the nav system handling Waypoints like a Garmin from 2004 can....

Tesla does some amazing stuff.... they also have have a lot of pretty glaring missing features a competent programmer ought be able to knock out in anywhere from an hour to maybe a week.

I mean, even the fart programmer could've done a "stop charging" time setting, and folks have been asking for that for years before the Model 3 even existed. And even when they do fix one of them it usually takes insanely longer than it should have (see for example the fact it took them years to add a working shuffle play button to USB)

So assuming any of em will be "fixed" soon is...optimistic...

I'll take "famous last words" for $1000 Alex!

Others who said the same-

Folks still waiting on setting charge stop time, folks still waiting on the AP1 promised features that will never arrive, folks still waiting on the ChaDemo Model 3 adapter since mid 2017...hell folks still waiting on the nav system handling Waypoints like a Garmin from 2004 can....

Tesla does some amazing stuff.... they also have have a lot of pretty glaring missing features a competent programmer ought be able to knock out in anywhere from an hour to maybe a week.

I mean, even the fart programmer could've done a "stop charging" time setting, and folks have been asking for that for years before the Model 3 even existed. And even when they do fix one of them it usually takes insanely longer than it should have (see for example the fact it took them years to add a working shuffle play button to USB)

So assuming any of em will be "fixed" soon is...optimistic...

We can put this dashcam option on the "fans" list of desires.

The only thing I remember Tesla promising ( and not delivering on ) is "Enhanced Autopilot" to FSD owners and my gift for waiting in line in 2016.

We can put this dashcam option on the "fans" list of desires.

The only thing I remember Tesla promising ( and not delivering on ) is "Enhanced Autopilot" to FSD owners and my gift for waiting in line in 2016.

Go talk to some AP1 folks- they have a lot of promises never delivered on- examples:

constantly monitoring stop signs, traffic signals and pedestrians (in theory it does 1 of those 3 some of the time- pedestrians)

When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall. Model S will even park itself in your garage at home (which obviously it doesn't do unless they mean "pull straight forward or back with the proto-summon actually delivered"

With calendar syncing enabled, Model S checks current traffic conditions to determine how much time is needed to make your first meeting of the day. At the right time, it turns on the climate control and opens the garage door. On private property, Model S will even pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb. (which it does basically 0 of again unless you count "go straight forward/back with proto summon)

Eventually, your Tesla will be able to drive anywhere across the country to meet you, charging itself along the way. It will sync with your calendar to know exactly when to arrive (this is from the AP blog from Oct 2015- still AP1- and never happening for those cars)