Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possibly ordering today. Seeking advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
background: long time forum lurker. Model 3 res holder..

I am one of the people that is attracted to the MS60.

I was at the La Jolla, CA Tesla yesterday and I think I'm going to purchase this car...possibly today.

How do trade ins work with Tesla? Do I trade in the car when I accept delivery? How fair are their quotes and do they haggle any with trade in values? I need to get a good price from my wife's 2012 Hyundai Sonata limited.

It appears the CA tax rebate is currently exhausted, and the $7,500 tax credit isn't applied towards the purchase of the vehicle correct?

Are their any hidden fees that the Tesla website doesn't show? I've factored in car insurance and installing a anemia 14-50 outlet..

Forgive me if these questions are asked too commonly but I am heading to the showroom in a couple hours hoping I can get into a last minute test drive and get a quote for the trade in. If all goes well I'll make the order today.

Here's what I'll want:

Midnight silver or blue
Model S 60
Grey leather
Auto pilot package
"Possibly" pano roof.

Sounds like a beautiful car! Love both those colors! Trade ins are a flat rate. Some people think it is fair, others not. Everyone agrees you can get more for selling yourself; but then you don't get the tax break related to the trade in. I feel the pano roof makes the car feel open and airy! Love the grey leather!

For trade in, look into Black Book. This is what most of the dealers use. It tends to be substantially lower than Blue Book or NADA. It supposedly reflects auction prices within a week. I did find a few dealers that were willing to take Edmunds TMV trade in. This was a better deal than Black Book, but not as good as NADA or Blue Book. I found a bank on the east coast that had Black Book lookup on line. Use these numbers to determine if what Tesla is offering you is reasonable.

Tesla offered me $15000 for my Yukon. I told them I was not satisfied and the Tesla rep. said they work with over 200 companies and he will send quote back asking for a better trade-in value. We will "fight for you" regarding the trade-in. So, you do not have to accept the first offer and may get a better one. As Modelx said, remember the tax break in your equation. With the taxes added to trade-in value it may be worth it to you

"Are their any hidden fees that the Tesla website doesn't show? I've factored in car insurance and installing a anemia 14-50 outlet.."
Only fee not shown initially is the $1200 delivery. It is an extremely simple car buying experience.

background: long time forum lurker. Model 3 res holder..
I am one of the people that is attracted to the MS60.
It appears the CA tax rebate is currently exhausted, and the $7,500 tax credit isn't applied towards the purchase of the vehicle correct?
Are their any hidden fees that the Tesla website doesn't show? I've factored in car insurance and installing a anemia 14-50 outlet..

1. CA rebate is currently exhausted but CVRP is maintaining a waiting list, implying to many that the fund will be replenished.
2. Fed tax credit is available if you purchase to own the car (vs lease) which it sounds like you are doing. It is a tax credit and not a rebate, and would be applied against your [2016] taxes paid/due.
3. I found no hidden fees whatsoever, however, many have been tripped up by the implied cost (w/gas savings) versus the true cost on the website. Lastly, If you haven't factored in a service plan as they recommend, then you should.

Congratulations, you car will be amazing and your choices are beautiful.

1. CA rebate is currently exhausted but CVRP is maintaining a waiting list, implying to many that the fund will be replenished.
2. Fed tax credit is available if you purchase to own the car (vs lease) which it sounds like you are doing. It is a tax credit and not a rebate, and would be applied against your [2016] taxes paid/due.
3. I found no hidden fees whatsoever, however, many have been tripped up by the implied cost (w/gas savings) versus the true cost on the website. Lastly, If you haven't factored in a service plan as they recommend, then you should.

Congratulations, you car will be amazing and your choices are beautiful.
Thank you, I appreciate your input. The cost of the car is a stretch for my family but it seems like this car would affect our lifestyle in a positive way since we commute so much.

Reactions: e-FTW and NikeWings
Tesla offered me $15000 for my Yukon. I told them I was not satisfied and the Tesla rep. said they work with over 200 companies and he will send quote back asking for a better trade-in value. We will "fight for you" regarding the trade-in. So, you do not have to accept the first offer and may get a better one. As Modelx said, remember the tax break in your equation. With the taxes added to trade-in value it may be worth it to you
Did they take the trade in when you took delivery of your tesla? Did they apply that trade in towards the cost of the car "payment due at signing".

"Are their any hidden fees that the Tesla website doesn't show? I've factored in car insurance and installing a anemia 14-50 outlet.."
Only fee not shown initially is the $1200 delivery. It is an extremely simple car buying experience.
What is an "anemia" 14-50 outlet? A 14-50 outlet if installed correctly can provide 40 amps at 245 v, or 9,800 watts, which is anything but anemic...

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW
How do trade ins work with Tesla? Do I trade in the car when I accept delivery? How fair are their quotes and do they haggle any with trade in values? I need to get a good price from my wife's 2012 Hyundai Sonata limited..
Experiences vary here but trade should work similarly to other dealerships. Some have commented that the trade value was 'particularly low' because Tesla doesn't resell ICE cars and have to wholesale them off. Others claim they did ok. If you feel it’s too low, you can shop it around to dealerships like CarMax to see if you can get a better price. You can also try to sell it yourself privately.

It appears the CA tax rebate is currently exhausted, and the $7,500 tax credit isn't applied towards the purchase of the vehicle correct?.
The $7,500 federal tax credit is applied to your federal income tax obligation for 2016. You pay full price for the car plus sales tax and registration fees, less trade.

Depending on the amount you drive the NEMA 14-50 may not be needed. If less than 20 miles a day, you might be able to charge from a regular wall socket.
I like the pano roof.
The Federal tax rebate just gets figured in as part of your 2016 taxes when you file next year.
Get the 19" tires.
You don't need to make all the decisions at the dealership, you can order on line anytime you want. So no pressure to figure it out right now.

And the Edit button is in lower left corner of the post... at least for me it is.

• Informative
Reactions: GQbed
test drive scheduled for 3:00 pm PST today. I guess they have availability if you're a serious buyer

If you haven't done a test drive before then you'll certainly be hooked after that experience. The Model S is a larger vehicle which is perfect for a family and family driving. Adding in how safe the car is, if I had a family I was driving around regularly and I could afford it, then the Model S would be the choice for me.

I did a trade-in on my Audi when I bought my 70D. I brought my car in prior to delivery date and they used a broker/reseller to look at the car and make an offer. there was no haggling. It might have been a month before delivery, and they let me keep my car until delivery and honour the quote as long as I kept under a certain mileage.

The whole sales & trade-in process was extremely smooth and pleasant, unlike previous car-buying experiences. No hidden fees, except for a $100 federal air conditioner fee we have here in Canada. There was also a $1300 "destination and regulatory document fee" but that was clearly shown up front on the main Tesla design studio page - that might also be some local thing.

as expected the trade-in offer was lower than I'm sure I could have sold it privately but their quote was much higher than a previous quote I got from a 3rd party used-car buyer. of course by trading in, the trade-in cost came off the total before tax so there's some value in that plus convenience factor.

I think the pano roof is great, even though I'm not particularly tall. It really opens up the interior IMO. It really looks fantastic with the black alcantara headliner and grey next gen seats (photos here). I also prefer the look of the glass roof from the outside of the car, vs body colour roof. I don't live in an extremely hot climate so YMMV but anyhow for me there's absolutely no issue with heat - unlike every other car I've had before with a smaller moonroof which I always found annoyingly hot and had to keep the shade closed.