Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post-accident experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we start seeing more and more Tesla on the road, unfortunately and inevitably more and more will get involved in accidents.

I am trying to create a one-stop-thread where the unlucky but experienced owners can at least share their story in the format I am suggesting below. It’ll help the future unlucky ones. Please feel free to critique/delete the format or the thread altogether. Nothing hurts me more after seeing my own car hit so I won’t mind any treatment from the admins here LOL.

Model: Tesla Model 3, SR+, Pearl White.

Accident Month/Date: May 7, 2019.

Accident location: Nevada.

At fault (self/other party/both): Other Party.

Insurance settled in Month/Date: May 21, 2019.

Injury to self/other party/both/none: None.

Car totaled (if yes, ignore next fields): No.

Car Drive-ability: Drove and charged fine but parking chimes, distance display, summon, lane change disabled as the harness was damaged inside the bumper.

Car repair status (estimated to complete on/completed on): Estimated to complete on August 3, 2019.

Level of satisfaction after everything is done (Satisfied/ Satisfied after more than one try/ TBD): TBD

Total cost of repairs: $10,000

Photo URL: Model 3 hit

What happened: Other party hit my car while she was trying to park in her Dodge Challenger. Sentry failed to record but at least notified me.

Lessons learned: 1) periodically test Sentry and dashcam drive, make sure it’s recording and has enough space as it fills up fast, 2) parts can take a long time, order ASAP and use rental wisely. 3) If your state allows, don’t forget to file a diminished value claim, 4) Avoid parking in tight spots.

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
Tesla back after 7 weeks in the shop and except for a misplaced roof sunshade while working on the glass, they’ve done a phenomenal job. I can’t tell if the car was ever in an accident. The pearl white paint on the quarter panel and bumper was inspected by me under shade, sunlight and light bulbs from different angles and it is a perfect match as far as eyes can tell.

Onto the diminished value claim and ready to put this 3 month ordeal behind me.

Photo: Model 3 hit

Photo: Fixed

Last edited:
Reactions: EVGo99
Picking up the car this week. Total cost of repairs $17k
In Jan. 2016, I was backed into by an SUV in a parking lot. Was hit on the rear, drivers side wheel well. Majority of damage sustained above well area. (Searched for photos, couldn’t find:() More damage than what appears in your photo. Repair was $7K. Lexus vs Tesla repairs...I’m reading related posts on costs of repairs and get the impression that, for whatever reasons,Tesla repairs are substantially higher than an ICE, for similar damage claims. Sorry for your misfortune!

In Jan. 2016, I was backed into by an SUV in a parking lot. Was hit on the rear, drivers side wheel well. Majority of damage sustained above well area. (Searched for photos, couldn’t find:() More damage than what appears in your photo. Repair was $7K. Lexus vs Tesla repairs...I’m reading related posts on costs of repairs and get the impression that, for whatever reasons,Tesla repairs are substantially higher than an ICE, for similar damage claims. Sorry for your misfortune!

Thank you. Thankfully the other party’s insurance paid 100%. I am posting simply to help potential buyers think twice before investing this kind of money to buy a car that might be a much bigger headache than a comparable ICE car to repair - and especially if you’re at fault. And for the current owners to get an idea of what to expect.

Reactions: groovidad
Wife got into an accident, last car in a 5 car pile up. California. Front bumper, side panels and hood damaged. Internally in the front is probably also slightly damaged being a crumple zone, cos the hood doesn't lock. I guess we'll see how bad this gets. I don't know who's going to be called at fault. The Jetta she hit has a minor bumper dislocation and that's it. The Tesla didn't fare well at all. Maybe I'll report back later.
Was still able to drive the car back home, didn't affect the front tires and wheel wells.
Odd thing is I have no recording. Recent clips erased everything that happened before the car was parked off to the side of the freeway by the cops. This wasn't the behaviour the last time I looked at the recordings, my drive was nearly full with recordings for a while. 500GB drive. Is there a way to find/recover these files?