Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident on 1st Day :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first ever brand new car. I purchased it on December 31 in the afternoon. 20 minutes after midnight what seemed like a drugged driver rammed into my stationery vehicle while waiting to get out of a parking lot after taking the family to watch fireworks. The car had 45 miles on it!

The other person’s insurance are handling it. I have an appointment at a Tesla Collision Center on Friday.

The car makes a loud groaning noise and I don’t feel safe driving it on highways. The wheel took a direct hit. Also I can barely open my door.

The experience is traumatizing for my family. We waited years to buy a new car.

I am extremely turned off driving a brand new car that undergoes heavy repair. I don’t think it will ever feel new. I bought it with 3 miles on it 2 days ago.

I’m guessing it will end up costing $20-$30k to repair. Maybe I’ll get $5k of DV as well.

The loan from Tesla isn’t even in effect nor do I have registration. Any logic in going back to Tesla and negotiating anything? I won’t even know if this car has any issues because I won’t be driving it for a while during warranty!!

Thanks

IMG_3019.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpeg
    IMG_3018.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3020.jpeg
    IMG_3020.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3016.jpeg
    IMG_3016.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 36
Any logic in going back to Tesla and negotiating anything?

I feel for you, because this type of thing sucks, but there is nothing that Tesla is going to (or should be) doing for you related to a car accident, so there isnt anything you should be negotiating with them or even trying to.

I dont really get into the "How much is this going to cost to repair" discussions, but that certainly doesnt look anywhere near 20k of damage to me, even on a Tesla.

Hopefully the repair doesnt take super long. Sucks, for sure.

This is my first ever brand new car. I purchased it on December 31 in the afternoon. 20 minutes after midnight what seemed like a drugged driver rammed into my stationery vehicle while waiting to get out of a parking lot after taking the family to watch fireworks. The car had 45 miles on it!

The other person’s insurance are handling it. I have an appointment at a Tesla Collision Center on Friday.

The car makes a loud groaning noise and I don’t feel safe driving it on highways. The wheel took a direct hit. Also I can barely open my door.

I am extremely turned off driving a brand new car that undergoes heavy repair. I don’t think it will ever feel new. I bought it with 3 miles on it 2 days ago.

I’m guessing it will end up costing $20-$30k to repair. Maybe I’ll get $5k of DV as well.

The loan from Tesla isn’t even in effect nor do I have registration. Any logic in going back to Tesla and negotiating anything? I won’t even know if this car has any issues because I won’t be driving it for a while during warranty!!

Thanks

View attachment 1005290
Really sorry this happened to you.

Insurance is going to try to have it repaired at a cheaper shop. Hold fast for the shop you want.

Also make sure you get an equal rental car.

Ok thanks.

So you think CarFax would not mention this?

With my sensors out of whack now and my wheels making this big noise I’m assuming some suspension work needs to take place.

When I had mostly a bumper and side panel replaced on an older X5 BMW 12 years ago replaced after an accident the insurance paid $18k then gave me $5k diminished value. Hence I was assuming that a brand new Tesla would cost more.

Reactions: OrbiterTI4
Not saying you’ll get an EV, but they will try to put you in the cheapest compact on the lot. You’ll need to hold out for a full sized rental car and you’ll need that car until yours is fixed.
But I don’t want to pay for gas for a couple of months. That’s why I invested in an EV in the first place!

My car was stationery. The lady was fed up with the wait and lost it for a second and rammed into my car. Would she or her insurance not be on the hook to cover for my losses, including my expenses?

Thanks

View attachment 1005290
Fender, side camera, some suspension components(maybe 1 arm), maaaybe a wheel and tire.
If your bill is over 4k, I’d be surprised.

It’ll drive the same as it drove before. They’re not cutting the car apart and replacing half the chassis, which… even then wouldn’t be an issue if done correctly.

Fender, side camera, some suspension components(maybe 1 arm), maaaybe a wheel and tire.
If your bill is over 4k, I’d be surprised.

It’ll drive the same as it drove before. They’re not cutting the car apart and replacing half the chassis, which… even then wouldn’t be an issue if done correctly.

This sounds promising then. I really hope so and not discover issues in the future.

In that case then would that keep the CarFax clean then?

OK I will. They are the Tesla Collision Center. I hope they don’t.
Why?

Think of it another way, how pissy would you be if you bought a car with a hidden collision repair?

It’s a car, it will depreciate like a rock dropped from an airplane. Drive it and enjoy it, sell it when you’re done, chalk the difference up to experiences you made while driving it.

But I don’t want to pay for gas for a couple of months. That’s why I invested in an EV in the first place!

My car was stationery. The lady was fed up with the wait and lost it for a second and rammed into my car. Would she or her insurance not be on the hook to cover for my losses, including my expenses?
I don’t know Texas laws, but in California yes, the other parties insurance is responsible for everything. However, they will try to tell you otherwise and you’ll need to stick to your guns. They will send to a cheaper rental car company. They will try and send you to a discount body shop; “That body shop isn’t on our approved list”, funny how good body shops are not on their list. Stand in front of the mirror and practice saying ”NO”. If you want a Tesla tell them your going to one of the big two to get a Tesla.

Two cars ago I had a Chevy Tahoe. It was a magnet for distracted drivers, the body shop owner told me I was one of his best customers.

I learned quickly how some insurance will lie to you about your rights after an accident. Mercury told me the other party didn’t have rental car on their policy. Yea, that has nothing to do with me. Later she told me I had to return the car after 7 days. I simply kept the rental until my car was repaired.