Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post-delivery inspection of my P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my car today and found a number of minor problems (attached images). Will be taking the car into service center asap.

For #1 with the indentation on the dashboard, is replacing the only way to fix? Other than that, all the other issues should be relatively easy to fix.

1-driver-dashboard-indentation.jpg
2-interior-material-raised.jpg
3-paint-chip.jpg
4a-missing-black-screw.jpg
4b-missing-black-screw.jpg
5-driver-bumper-clips.jpg
6-passenger-upper-trunk-panel-crooked.jpg
7-passenger-brake-lights-crooked.jpg
8-passenger-bumper-corner-jutting-out.jpg
9-passenger-bumper-clips.jpg

"Inconsistent" is definitely the right word for Tesla quality. Some of this just looks like rushed assembly, but the paint issues are the real annoyance a year after they started hitting big volume numbers.
Yes true.

I can say as a fact that Tesla fremont paint & robots sucks... Big time.
My car is brand new. Delivered on 29.3.2019. vin ending 224547.

Now i call it primer 3 :/

Tesla has a lot to fix in Finland. :(

Yes true.

I can say as a fact that Tesla fremont paint & robots sucks... Big time.
My car is brand new. Delivered on 29.3.2019. vin ending 224547.

Now i call it primer 3 :/

Tesla has a lot to fix in Finland. :(
Man, that is pretty sad looking. One or two of those I might have thought were OK, but so many of them look worse than some local cheap respray place would have done. I have to agree this seems like the robots have not been set up correctly to get adequate coverage. I have to believe it is less about "programming" the robots at this point and perhaps a more serious issue (i.e. robot simply can't reach certain areas, and it is a "big deal" to change it...esp to change it and not impact the production line). Of course, if we don't see this on every car then, sheesh, maybe just inconsistency in the robots or some of the human stages. Either way, not really acceptable in modern automobile manufacturing.

Just received my car today and found a number of minor problems (attached images). Will be taking the car into service center asap.

For #1 with the indentation on the dashboard, is replacing the only way to fix? Other than that, all the other issues should be relatively easy to fix.

View attachment 436048 View attachment 436049 View attachment 436050 View attachment 436051 View attachment 436052 View attachment 436053 View attachment 436054 View attachment 436055 View attachment 436056 View attachment 436057

Wow, so sorry to see those pictures. I’m not sure I would have accepted that car with some of those defects. Makes me wonder if it were crashed and repaired somewhere along the way. You have seven days to return it if not happy. I took delivery of mine in June and it was flawless.

Man, that is pretty sad looking. One or two of those I might have thought were OK, but so many of them look worse than some local cheap respray place would have done. I have to agree this seems like the robots have not been set up correctly to get adequate coverage. I have to believe it is less about "programming" the robots at this point and perhaps a more serious issue (i.e. robot simply can't reach certain areas, and it is a "big deal" to change it...esp to change it and not impact the production line). Of course, if we don't see this on every car then, sheesh, maybe just inconsistency in the robots or some of the human stages. Either way, not really acceptable in modern automobile manufacturing.

Yes funny thing it is that this problem varies with cars some is painted & some are not. A lot of model 3 owners in Finland are pissed because of these shitty robots & paint quality is worse. :S

We know that that they started to leave paint out of those place has started around 2018 - may - july timeframe because there was a fire on Tesla Fremont and it affected to the robots.. We have had users on our facebook group "Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues" saying that early 2018 cars had those areas painted. Tesla Model 3 owners worldwide with paint issues

Source for above sentence: Tesla workers say the factory paint shop is a mess and fires are worse than Tesla let on

"Engineers scrambled to repurpose equipment in the paint shop that week so that robots could be used to put primer on both the interior and exterior surfaces of Model 3 vehicles. Before the fire, separate robots handled interior and exterior primer application. "

Here is my primer picture thread @ Twitter: J Savolainen on Twitter

Elon & Tesla call this normal when we complained them. I think we need to sue them... We have already done 3th. party inspection for 2x Tesla Model ( brand news ) and they were shitty painted. Now we are waiting the report.

What a Goods Inspector Does - Kauppakamari

Now that M3 should be classified as a reject for sure. I mean used cars with 40k miles are in better condition than that. I would be embarrassed to sell that as a new car.

The whole dash needs to be replaced, bumper looks like it is falling off, panels not aligned, door panels all out of whack.. It is obvious that the rear bumper was removed from that car for some reason and not put back properly, scratched and missing fender liner fasteners.

If you accepted the car please just return it in the 7 day window and get an unmolested example of the car. Please do not pay $50k for new car in this condition.

Are you missing these clips also? Or are they in place?

I am missing 3x per side i think i should have them on back rear wheel well ?

Yes, Tesla stopped installing those rear fender liner push rivets. Something about not being needed so they can save cost, which is ridiculous. As you already mentioned the rockers/scuff plates also get push rivets as you see them installed on the other side. Yours are just flat out missing on one side. Poor/sloppy build quality is what this is referred to.

I bought this kit and finished assembling the car myself. :mad:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BMVZ8R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Helpful
Reactions: Johnii__82
Are you missing these clips also? Or are they in place?

I am missing 3x per side i think i should have them on back rear wheel well ?

I have those clips but am missing the black locking screws.

I wanted to do pickup so I could spend more time on inspection, but the customer rep told me that pickup in Fremont was no longer allowed. Turns out this was not true since some other folks in another thread reported pickup slots were available all week. When the delivery guy showed up I felt pressured to do a quicker inspection out of courtesy for his time and only found 3 issues at the time.

Later that evening I performed a more thorough inspection and found 6 other issues. Now I'm trying to reach someone at Tesla to add these 6 other items to my Due Bill so the service center won't have an excuse to charge me for repairs. The delivery guy and customer rep I worked with pre-delivery are not responding and have ghosted me for the past day so I am having a hell of a time trying to find someone who can help. I sent a message on the website from my account, but if they don't respond soon I will physically drop by the Fremont delivery center today. I heard we only have 72 hours to report issues so the clock is ticking.

Last edited:
Unfortunately another example of why I never recommend letting Tesla deliver the car to you. It’s important to spend 45-60 minutes doing a thorough pre-purchase inspection of the car before you sign any paperwork. It’s much easier to do that at a delivery center before you have signed any papers.

Lately Tesla has been telling people they don’t do pickups at the delivery center anymore. I really believe it’s because they know people will spend less time inspecting the car once it is in front of their house so they will be less likely to reject it for quality control issues.

Regardless of what the rep says, Tesla will allow you to pick up your vehicle at a delivery center. You just have to inform them that is the only way they are going to get your money.

Later that evening I performed a more thorough inspection and found 6 other issues. Now I'm trying to reach someone at Tesla to add these 6 other items to my Due Bill so the service center won't have an excuse to charge me for repairs. The delivery guy and customer rep I worked with pre-delivery are not responding and have ghosted me for the past day so I am having a hell of a time trying to find someone who can help. I sent a message on the website from my account, but if they don't respond soon I will physically drop by the Fremont delivery center today. I heard we only have 72 hours to report issues so the clock is ticking.

I see you are in the Bay Area - Have you tried this email address for Northern CA: [email protected]

They make take a couple of days, but they do respond back. They added items to my "Due Bill" that my Delivery Advisor refused to do.
I added about 10 items to my "Due Bill" over a 2.5 month period as I waited for my Tesla Approved body shop appointment. Just email them pics to document your concerns. Save all your emails (dates,etc) for documentation.

I understand your frustration. I complained to NorCal-Concerns it was impossible to properly inspect a car when the delivery is outside in the rain. Tesla had to pay the body shop over $3600 for paint and panel alignment repairs and had to pay Enterprise Rent-A-Car for a 2 week rental of a Tesla Model S 100D.

I know a lot of other people had trouble free deliveries, but mine was so bad that I won't buy another Tesla...Good Luck !

• Informative

View attachment 436048 View attachment 436049 View attachment 436050 View attachment 436051 View attachment 436052 View attachment 436053 View attachment 436054 View attachment 436055 View attachment 436056 View attachment 436057

This car looks like it was part of the robo-taxi test fleet. :eek: