Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what to do with my X. Really want to love this car, but its always in the shop. Finally got it back after 3 long weeks only to return it to SC 2 days later after scary driving issue.
  1. Regen, Traction control, ABS cut out twice on my while driving yesterday. reset the car, but again cut out with little or no warning. the first time i nearly got in an accident because I wasnt expecting it
  2. front passenger window scratching from something inside the door. this should be fixed rather easily i would think
  3. paint chips. body shop spent 3 weeks fixing. returned to me with paint drips and smudges. SC manager spotted it upon return and notified me. The SC guys are great, but I still need to take back the car to fix the paint...again.
  4. front door sometimes latches, and sometimes doesnt. i reset calibration a few times.
  5. misalignments everwhere... i can deal with this one. sorta
  6. wind noise from driver door is super annoying
  7. windshield double vision headlights gives me a headache. I try to ignore it but my brain is constantly strained trying to compensate
  8. I could go on with the 3rd seat recall, hitch parts waiting to be installed, no sunshade , etc.
  9. Often times pressing the keyfob to open the trunk wont work. I have to use the button on the car
I know some of you are experiencing similar issues, so I'm curious, are these issues par for the X course. The only thing that seems to work well are the falcon wing doors, ironically. Thoughts?
signed,
trying to stay positive

• Love
Reactions: BillWest6
Not sure what to do with my X. Really want to love this car, but its always in the shop. Finally got it back after 3 long weeks only to return it to SC 2 days later after scary driving issue.
  1. Regen, Traction control, ABS cut out twice on my while driving yesterday. reset the car, but again cut out with little or no warning. the first time i nearly got in an accident because I wasnt expecting it
  2. front passenger window scratching from something inside the door. this should be fixed rather easily i would think
  3. paint chips. body shop spent 3 weeks fixing. returned to me with paint drips and smudges. SC manager spotted it upon return and notified me. The SC guys are great, but I still need to take back the car to fix the paint...again.
  4. front door sometimes latches, and sometimes doesnt. i reset calibration a few times.
  7. windshield double vision headlights gives me a headache. I try to ignore it but my brain is constantly strained trying to compensate
  8. I could go on with the 3rd seat recall, hitch parts waiting to be installed, no sunshade , etc.
  9. Often times pressing the keyfob to open the trunk wont work. I have to use the button on the car
I know some of you are experiencing similar issues, so I'm curious, are these issues par for the X course. The only thing that seems to work well are the falcon wing doors, ironically. Thoughts?
signed,
trying to stay positive
I can't see how Tesla can keep up with all the issues. Part of it is the feeling of getting stuck with a $90,000.00-$160,000.00 car that loses major value. One that becomes very expensive to maintain after the warranty expires. How many mechanics can fix computerized doors? I imagine there is going to be some relief to all the worry. Perhaps free extended warranty to 100,000mi or buyback programs. I know they have the buyback for lease but not for full purchase owners. I know I would feel much better.

Why do they only open that much?
Is it a sensor issue or something else? Is that only in garage or outside too?

That is in a garage at a relative's. Prior to replacing the sensors, my doors would have struck those pipes and I would have to physically stop them. Now that the sensors are working, the doors stop before hitting anything, but they don't open very much. You can physically open them more, just like the front doors.
They open fully when there is no obstruction.

...Thoughts?...
Each Model X will have it's own possible quirks. My front doors have never opened consistently 100% of the time. When sensors are used to affect the operation of a process, there are bound to be differences that occur as sensor inputs automate the mechanical devices.

One answer is for more sensors, redundant actuators and dual or triple redundancy of the logic (computing) process.

Ok Let me start by saying something is wrong with my X front doors, seems last indefinitely:

05/02 Monday of this week, my passenger door failed to latch. Fixed with recalibration at the SC.
05/03 Tuesday morning of this week, my driver door failed to latch. Fixed with recalibration at the SC.
05/03 Tuesday night on the same day, my driver door failed to latch again. I was stuck at South Coast Plaza buying an iPad pro for my Drone.

All three times i was driving with my door open, holding on to the door and drove home. I know I should not have done that but if I keep on calling Tow trucks, it's going to take hours and too many times for them to come.

Tomorrow 05/04, I will be taken my X back to SC for fix the doors again. But I will definitely let them tear the door apart and fix it completely. Something got be wrong inside, not only the latch. Something has to be wrong, I am getting so good now driving with one hand on the wheel and the other hand holding the door. Driver side is easy to hold, Passenger door has to be hold by my wife. This is getting so absurd. I need complete 100% solution tomorrow. I am completely speechless.

You have explained it perfectly. Just one question. Has the SC replaced both latches or trying to get by with the old ones? Check your invoice to find the parts they replaced.

Here is a replacement recently installed in my passenger door: MX FR DR RH LATCH NDX180 (1084917-00- 1 A)

OT: A "Like" for "Door Captain of TMC"

Thanks @Mark Z. I will talk to SC tomorrow regarding the latch replacements. They told me driver door latch has been replaced with new one, passenger latch is still old because parts are scarce. I did not even look at the invoice because the replacement X is coming, there is no reason for me to check all the detailed as long as the car can last me until the replacement X is here. Oh boy am i wrong. If latch fails on a daily basis, I will go crazy. I will find all out tomorrow. There is no way I continue to drive my X with these problems, my job now is to fix doors, how sad is this?!

Thanks @Mark Z. I will talk to SC tomorrow regarding the latch replacements. They told me driver door latch has been replaced with new one, passenger latch is still old because parts are scarce. I did not even look at the invoice because the replacement X is coming, there is no reason for me to check all the detailed as long as the car can last me until the replacement X is here. Oh boy am i wrong. If latch fails on a daily basis, I will go crazy. I will find all out tomorrow. There is no way I continue to drive my X with these problems, my job now is to fix doors, how sad is this?!

Please ask about the sunshade. Will they give you a loaner X? Also, please report the VIN's you see tomorrow

Reactions: Drivin
So, you're going to report your scary issue to NHTSA via Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), after they resolve it and list what they did to fix it, right? Sounds like a clear safety defect to me. An excerpt from page 194 of the owner's manual (found at https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...Manual_Touchscreen_DAS_NA_R20160317_en_US.pdf):

"Reporting Safety Defects - US
If you believe that Model X has a defect which could cause a crash or could cause injury or death, you should immediately inform the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in addition to notifying Tesla Motors...."

Arguably, all the doors failing to latch problems (where doors need to be held closed) seem to meet the bar for reporting to NHTSA, as well, given that there have been recalls for doors failing to latch (Google for recall doors failing to latch).

Reactions: Drivin
signed,
trying to stay positive

Have you hit 30 days in the shop yet? If you have or you are close ask the Tesla to Lemon the car.

Maybe Elon will give advice on the conference call this evening. I'm sure investors want to know how massive X defects will get resolved. I'm hoping for some new insight. There would be no problem racking up 30days at the SC but who wants to do that?

• Funny
Reactions: K-MTG
Maybe Elon will give advice on the conference call this evening. I'm sure investors want to know how massive X defects will get resolved. I'm hoping for some new insight. There would be no problem racking up 30days at the SC but who wants to do that?

Unfortunately, I would expect them to have the same "insight" that most companies give when faced with these types of questions. Something like:
"Quality is of the utmost concern to us since we want to give our customers the best possible product and experience. We have been closely monitoring the situation and have put a top team on assessing and improving the quality. A. Top. Team. and we are already seeing great results. But we are not taking any chances, we have also sacrificed a goat, two rabbits and a pygmy horse on the altar of Zuul."

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
All three times i was driving with my door open, holding on to the door and drove home. I know I should not have done that but if I keep on calling Tow trucks, it's going to take hours and too many times for them to come.

There were two other reports in the news of people driving around holding their doors closed - unless someone is driving to the emergency room (although they should call an ambulance in that case), or going to Home Depot to buy a bungy cord to keep the doors closed, I have no idea why people do that - it is a huge safety problem not just for the driver but anyone else on the road.

Reminds me of college students who try to drive with a mattress on the roof holding it down with their hands thinking that they can defy physics. LOL

Yes, calling a tow truck takes time, but if you may have to call them anyway if you get into an accident, or an ambulance if you hurt someone and if this is a recurring problem, call Uber and Tesla.

I dunno. If they're responsible for the current quality coming off the line I'd say, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" ;)

I doubt they are responsible for the hubris of over-engineering the product: "we would not have had so many features and functionality.”

Maybe they weren't able to make that over-engineered product, nor have the ability to change the direction of the product ("hey, guys, no one can build what you designed. How the heck are we going to make the FWD work and make the horn work reliably at the same time?"

• Funny
Reactions: Coolcarx