Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post purchase upgrades - Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to Tesla a couple of days ago regarding how bad my degradation is and they mentioned there was an option to upgrade my battery for $21k. I have a 60kwh Model S if that matters. Here's a screenshot of our conversation.

E83C50F9-CC35-450A-AFFB-A47B3DF8AAE9_1_105_c.jpeg

I spoke to Tesla a couple of days ago regarding how bad my degradation is and they mentioned there was an option to upgrade my battery for $21k. I have a 60kwh Model S if that matters. Here's a screenshot of our conversation.

Yes, that much is true. Tesla is making a ~90kwh 350 volt replacement pack that they will sell and fit to cars that were originally fitted with 60/70/75/80/90kwh packs. Most have received quotes in line with yours, about $21k including keeping your old pack.

I KNOW that Tesla will do it. I am wondering were are general aftermarket options are available.
In regards to aftermarket, I have spoken to Autobahn Dismantling which takes batteries out of salvage Teslas and can sell or swap a battery or motor. I spoke with them last year and I believe they said they charge $17k for an 85kwh pack and could give me back ~$9k for my 60kwh + $1k to program everything. Most people do this out of necessity though and doesn't seem worth the trouble simply for an upgrade. I would think there are also very few people who do this with 2015+ cars since those are most likely still under warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasDuke
That pricing is somewhat in line with what the Tesla service tech quoted me. I wonder if it’s possible to upgrade via aftermarket while keeping to Ability to Unlimited Supercharge Free for the extended life of the vehicle. (I have a 17 MS.) When I asked for a 100k battery, I was quoted $25k. But that was back in ‘18.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
That pricing is somewhat in line with what the Tesla service tech quoted me. I wonder if it’s possible to upgrade via aftermarket while keeping to Ability to Unlimited Supercharge Free for the extended life of the vehicle. (I have a 17 MS.) When I asked for a 100k battery, I was quoted $25k. But that was back in ‘18.
As long as you own it, the supercharging stays. It’s not tied to the battery

Tesla won’t put 100kwh batteries in a car that didn’t originally have one.

Autobahn Dismantling mentioned the supercharging status of cars will not change after a battery swap. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla ask to certify the car if they found out but who knows.

Electrified Garage.

These only apply to a 1 for 1 swap unless you have MCU1 then they can do an actual upgrade. But with MCU2 there is no backdoor or anything to hack in and change stuff so there is no ability to convert from say a 75 to a 90.
However, if you have an 85 for example they could throw in a 100 but the car would still see it as a 85 pack. then it gets into the weird stuff as to things like charging speed. the car thinks its an 85 but it is a 100 so even going to 100% would only be about 78-80% full pack, in theory at least.

These only apply to a 1 for 1 swap unless you have MCU1 then they can do an actual upgrade. But with MCU2 there is no backdoor or anything to hack in and change stuff so there is no ability to convert from say a 75 to a 90.
However, if you have an 85 for example they could throw in a 100 but the car would still see it as a 85 pack. then it gets into the weird stuff as to things like charging speed. the car thinks its an 85 but it is a 100 so even going to 100% would only be about 78-80% full pack, in theory at least.
In theory that might be a good thing as far as longevity.