Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your boat towing WHP/m?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Debating on buying a model X, however, we have a roughly 3500 pound Alumacraft 16' fishing boat with trailer. It would need to be able to tow it between 50-60 mph and get us about 120 miles on a full charge. Is that impossible to do with the 75D? I have seen reports all over the place of anywhere between 500whpm and 1000whpm but that seems to be mostly people pulling campers that I'd imagine are much less aerodynamic than the fishing boat would be? From what I understand the killer is speed and drag, not weight. So I'm hoping those who have a boat similar to mine might be able to chime in with their towing results at those speeds?

I really think you would have trouble doing that with a 75D. Now with a 100D you might stand a better chance.

Have you read the thread about ohmman towing his airstream trailer with a model X ?

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures
I hadn’t read it yet since an airstream is very different from a boat I think. The whpm should be better. I’ll go check it out now though, maybe I can gauge based on that. Thanks!

A 75 D for towing??? No sir... a 100 would Cover that distance but you wouldn’t have much left.

Really if you need to do any serious towing the X just flat doesn’t have the range yet unless your willing to make serious sacrifices. If I tow a jet ski my wh/mile can go close to or over 500.

I love my x more than any other car I’ve owned but it needs a serious range bump for towing or ski trips.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
A 75 D for towing??? No sir... a 100 would Cover that distance but you wouldn’t have much left.

Really if you need to do any serious towing the X just flat doesn’t have the range yet unless your willing to make serious sacrifices. If I tow a jet ski my wh/mile can go close to or over 500.

I love my x more than any other car I’ve owned but it needs a serious range bump for towing or ski trips.
Everyone’s situation is different. Except once a year, I wouldn’t have to tow the boat more than 65 miles before being at a charger or destination where I can charge. A 75D will work fine for that.

The once a year situation is where I was trying to figure out, is about 115 miles, speeds averaging 55mph. Not sure it’s worth buying a 100D for that one trip a year. Would just forego taking the boat.

Reactions: onlinespending
Debating on buying a model X, however, we have a roughly 3500 pound Alumacraft 16' fishing boat with trailer. It would need to be able to tow it between 50-60 mph and get us about 120 miles on a full charge. Is that impossible to do with the 75D? I have seen reports all over the place of anywhere between 500whpm and 1000whpm but that seems to be mostly people pulling campers that I'd imagine are much less aerodynamic than the fishing boat would be? From what I understand the killer is speed and drag, not weight. So I'm hoping those who have a boat similar to mine might be able to chime in with their towing results at those speeds?

Not sure your timeline, but I do have an RV travel trailer a little heavier than your own load. I am planning an actual trip this weekend (weather permitting) but did do an in town tow. Its guess-o-meter first knocked off about 12 miles but it changed again as I kept going. So do not want to say, because it is not actual.

What I can say it towed the weight without any problem even uphill, my prior tow vehicle Ford F150 did not manage as well.

I did buy an X because it can tow (among other reasons of course), so will be happy to report my findings ASAP. Just an FYI I ordered the 7 seater but a 100D.

Reactions: f3honda4me