Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is done!
8kW Tesla Solar + 2PW added to an existing 4kW SunPower system.

1 x PW+.
1 x PW2.
1 x Gateway.
24 x 340W Q.PEAK DUO-G6+.

Full house backup with 2 x AC. I originally wanted the PW mounted in the garage but there wasn’t enough room to walk mount side by side. They would have had to stack them on the floor. My least preferred option as the garage was already tight enough for two cars. So we moved them outside. Should be fine, they won’t get a ton of sun due to proximity of neighbors home/fence, and actually look pretty cool on the outside. May also help with any noise.

Asked for the existing 14-50 to be added into the backup, and for the new wall connector to be connected only to the main panel (to allow the car to charge via grid during super off-peak and not pull from the PW). They still need to wrap up the panel / PW wiring, and will return tomorrow to complete the job and test operation.

Attachments

• E6B17617-C3D8-45EB-8764-733351CA4816.png
    E6B17617-C3D8-45EB-8764-733351CA4816.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 151A2FC4-FC18-4F35-BE1A-555B6B5DDD3C.jpeg
    151A2FC4-FC18-4F35-BE1A-555B6B5DDD3C.jpeg
    517.7 KB · Views: 102
  • EEB94464-AA52-4D43-A5CA-7E9580D7E548.jpeg
    EEB94464-AA52-4D43-A5CA-7E9580D7E548.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 90963CCA-E62A-46EA-BD76-096D53BC02BA.jpeg
    90963CCA-E62A-46EA-BD76-096D53BC02BA.jpeg
    732.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 236FFBF3-0BFB-4A94-B388-1278A2E7BFBB.jpeg
    236FFBF3-0BFB-4A94-B388-1278A2E7BFBB.jpeg
    730.2 KB · Views: 110
  • C52CF57B-EC33-4C9A-897B-D51824CB0A6E.jpeg
    C52CF57B-EC33-4C9A-897B-D51824CB0A6E.jpeg
    652.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 65F0FDB6-A9D3-4C9F-B382-750EB8E57BE8.jpeg
    65F0FDB6-A9D3-4C9F-B382-750EB8E57BE8.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 7CB3234D-B0B4-4460-A314-78E838C33DC0.jpeg
    7CB3234D-B0B4-4460-A314-78E838C33DC0.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 99610E21-3EA2-4285-B54F-4A525D9163C8.jpeg
    99610E21-3EA2-4285-B54F-4A525D9163C8.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 977153A5-FF39-4D86-B99F-AEC614B31551.jpeg
    977153A5-FF39-4D86-B99F-AEC614B31551.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
It is done!
8kW Tesla Solar + 2PW added to an existing 4kW SunPower system.

1 x PW+.
1 x PW2.
1 x Gateway.
24 x 340W Q.PEAK DUO-G6+.

Full house backup with 2 x AC. I originally wanted the PW mounted in the garage but there wasn’t enough room to walk mount side by side. They would have had to stack them on the floor. My least preferred option as the garage was already tight enough for two cars. So we moved them outside. Should be fine, they won’t get a ton of sun due to proximity of neighbors home/fence, and actually look pretty cool on the outside. May also help with any noise.

Asked for the existing 14-50 to be added into the backup, and for the new wall connector to be connected only to the main panel (to allow the car to charge via grid during super off-peak and not pull from the PW). They still need to wrap up the panel / PW wiring, and will return tomorrow to complete the job and test operation.
Wow.... everyone in your neighborhood have solar?

Did you ask them to install a "new" 14-50 or car connector as part of the solar install? if so was it on your 01 or other pre-install drawing/document? I asked for it during the physical site assessment but didn't see anything in my 01

Wow.... everyone in your neighborhood have solar?

Did you ask them to install a "new" 14-50 or car connector as part of the solar install? if so was it on your 01 or other pre-install drawing/document? I asked for it during the physical site assessment but didn't see anything in my 01
It’s a newer neighborhood (2019 build), in CA. So solar was mandated. Everyone started with a ~4kW sunpower (microinverter) system. $18k add on!

I asked to install a new (still in box) wall connector. The 14-50 was existing. The electrician was able to call into the hotline to approve adding another 60A breaker for the wall connector into the setup. He started adding it into the backed-up panel but then I asked for it instead to sit outside (so that it could avoid draining the PWs at night while charge the cars).

Still not 100% if this is the best way to go, need to do some additional reading.

It’s a newer neighborhood (2019 build), in CA. So solar was mandated. Everyone started with a ~4kW sunpower (microinverter) system. $18k add on!

I asked to install a new (still in box) wall connector. The 14-50 was existing. The electrician was able to call into the hotline to approve adding another 60A breaker for the wall connector into the setup. He started adding it into the backed-up panel but then I asked for it instead to sit outside (so that it could avoid draining the PWs at night while charge the cars).

Still not 100% if this is the best way to go, need to do some additional reading.
We were concerned about this possibility in 2019 and tweeted Elon about it. He replied instantly and said a feature would be added to prevent the Powerwalls from being drained.

In 2020, the Powerwall and vehicle software were updated and the Powerwalls will now coordinate with charging Teslas to prevent the Powerwalls from draining in the event of an outage. This works for both wall connectors and mobile connectors.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd

Good to know! I don't have the actual wall connector yet as I have a Cybertruck reservation. Going to ask them for a 14-50 outlet instead, won't get max output from the wall connector, but I gain some flexibility in case I end up getting another J1772 instead of wall connector(and can use the mobile wall connector and I already have a JuiceBox pro 40 for a PHEV)

Last edited:
We were concerned about this possibility in 2019 and tweeted Elon about it. He replied instantly and said a feature would be added to prevent the Powerwalls from being drained.

In 2020, the Powerwall and vehicle software were updated and the Powerwalls will now coordinate with charging Teslas to prevent the Powerwalls from draining in the event of an outage. This works for both wall connectors and mobile connectors.

What about while the grid is active? Will the power-walls be drained each night to charge the car? Or at least down to the reserve %?

We have super off peak from 12-6am. So would prefer to remaining/usable PW capacity in the mornings, 6-10am.

What about while the grid is active? Will the power-walls be drained each night to charge the car? Or at least down to the reserve %?

We have super off peak from 12-6am. So would prefer to remaining/usable PW capacity in the mornings, 6-10am.
It depends on how you have your Powerwalls configured as to whether or not they will be used at night. We want to be as self-powered as possible so we program ours so that we really only use grid power for a couple hours per day.

If your Powerwalls hit their reserve percentage, then they will no longer be used and power will be taken from the grid.

So .. Tesla just pushed a new design to my account (with everything the same as far as I can tell), and is awaiting for me to accept.
Even though just yesterday they went ahead and installed all panels and powerwalls. No electrician today, so PW are still not connected... I also have not yet paid the down-payment on the loan and still have a clickable-cancel-order-button ... Hmmm
o_O
Tesla Account - Tesla 7-8-2021 4-00-07 PM.png

So .. Tesla just pushed a new design to my account (with everything the same as far as I can tell), and is awaiting for me to accept.
Even though just yesterday they went ahead and installed all panels and powerwalls. No electrician today, so PW are still not connected... I also have not yet paid the down-payment on the loan and still have a clickable-cancel-order-button ... Hmmm
o_O
View attachment 682747
We had the same issue. Installed, paid but no PTO. I was told that the panel configuration changed during install which triggered a new design.

We had the same issue. Installed, paid but no PTO. I was told that the panel configuration changed during install which triggered a new design.
Interesting. Will see what they say tomorrow. I've accepted the new docs, and they then scheduled a 'maintenance visit' for tomorrow to complete the install.

I also have this new lovely warning on top of my order page. Will need to call in tomorrow. No clue what that could be. Perhaps because I upsized by 4kW after the initial loan approval? I assumed they would simply re-qualify me? Income is more than enough to float a 30k loan.

Tesla Account - Tesla 7-8-2021 6-13-58 PM.png

Any update on this?
I called in, and the PA seemed to think it was not an issue. They pushed the warning back over to the credit department to 'fix things on their end'. He thought it might have something to do with my initial order being for 4kW + 2PW, which then triggered the permit/credit check. After those steps completed, I then requested adding another 4kW. It seems they did not go back out and authorize a loan on the now larger amount. So nothing firm, he just suggested the warning/issue would go away on its own...

The install inspection is now scheduled for tomorrow. Solar is producing, almost 9.5kW at peak! (12.24kW system). Batteries are still not yet operational, so I have been pushing all excess into the grid (I have existing solar, so assuming this is low risk pre-PTO).

It seems they also need to do a bit of work with the CTs. Instead of showing something like 9.5kW solar & 1kW home usage, the app shows as 8.5kW solar & 0 kW usage. So somehow the existing sunpower system is first offsetting all usage prior to being measured by the CTs and tesla app.

I called in, and the PA seemed to think it was not an issue. They pushed the warning back over to the credit department to 'fix things on their end'. He thought it might have something to do with my initial order being for 4kW + 2PW, which then triggered the permit/credit check. After those steps completed, I then requested adding another 4kW. It seems they did not go back out and authorize a loan on the now larger amount. So nothing firm, he just suggested the warning/issue would go away on its own............
Good!!.. Hope the lender doesn't give you problems with loan terms. 🤞

Good!!.. Hope the lender doesn't give you problems with loan terms. 🤞
Looks like they fixed it!
I also had to text re. the inspection tomorrow. The electrician let me know that they were still missing a few parts to complete the install. Emergency shut off button was missing something, so it is not yet installed. Then a internal plastic cover and plastic screws on the v2 gateway.

Apparently they’ve been low on parts for some time now, and installers have been taking what they need from the sealed part boxes 😳

Attachments

• A76E5DA6-2A22-48F3-B9CA-3655395FAEEA.png
    A76E5DA6-2A22-48F3-B9CA-3655395FAEEA.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 110
I just got my system layout today and the detailed drawings after much delay. It is for a 50 panel - 17 kW - (4) powerwall system. It appears that it will use (2) Powerwall + with builtin inverters and (2) additional powerwalls, no separate Backup Gateway 2. Let me know if you need to see any other pages of the document. Any comments regarding the system would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Site Plan.pdf
    140.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Three Line Diagram.pdf
    144.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Three Line Diagram Cont.pdf
    239.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Electrical Calculations.pdf
    531.3 KB · Views: 144
I just got my system layout today and the detailed drawings after much delay. It is for a 50 panel - 17 kW - (4) powerwall system. It appears that it will use (2) Powerwall + with builtin inverters and (2) additional powerwalls, no separate Backup Gateway 2. Let me know if you need to see any other pages of the document. Any comments regarding the system would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is very similar to mine, I have 1 pw+ and 1 pw2 + a 3.8 inverter

1) 3 line first page shows a backup gateway, the inverter and powerwall are feeding into the gateway optional breaker circuit.
2) not a electrician, from what I read while 2/0 is allowed for service drop feed... first page #11 vs (E) wiring [the existing service drop feed], my drops are actually 3/0 so there's a mismatch to 2/0, I would check what's your existing drop and if 3/0 would they match.
3) 3 line 2nd page #9 #10, how far are pw+ from gateway? while 8awg wire can technically handle the 40amp (max cont. off-grid output) , the voltage drop may become an issue for very long run, if the distance is long consider asking for 6awg if you are early in your process.

Thanks for the info. You are correct about the Gateway. I thought you didn't need a Gateway with Powerwall + . As far as the wire sizing it might be an issue because at this time I'm not sure how far away the gateway is going to be from the powerwalls. I'll also need to check my existing drop to see the size. Here is a image from Tesla's ordering page that shows a 4 powerwall + configuration. What's interesting is that the picture changes as you edit the number of powerwalls. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-13 190052.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-07-13 190052.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 102
Looks like they fixed it!
I also had to text re. the inspection tomorrow. The electrician let me know that they were still missing a few parts to complete the install. Emergency shut off button was missing something, so it is not yet installed. Then a internal plastic cover and plastic screws on the v2 gateway.

Apparently they’ve been low on parts for some time now, and installers have been taking what they need from the sealed part boxes 😳

Crew came today and fixed just about everything. Powerwalls are now active. They added 2 more CTs. 1 for each solar string, and an extra one for the existing system. House seems to show slightly higher usage than I would expect, but may just need to give it more time.

Edit - tried the go-off-grid feature. Worked as expected, however when I attempted to turn on the a/c all I heard was a loud click, no start.. May need to contact Tesla and inquire about 2 x soft-starts. The unifi wifi equipment also appears to drop out (potentially related to the 65hz?)

Tesla also pushed the notification for me to pay the downpayment. It was set as $42.80 ... 🤩 It was suppose to be ~$3500 ish, but after the loan snafu I would not have been surprised if they kept my loan amount at the original lower amount, and then simply asked for a larger downpayment to fill the gap (which may be closer to 4,280?). I guess we will see what happens ...

Last edited: