Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Potential Collision Detected..."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
OK, so this one was new for me...

Driving along, no automation engaged; I'm driving old school.

Suddenly get multiple audible alarms, a red icon appears on screen, and says something like: "Potential Collision Detected. Corrective steering applied."

I'm driving on a four lane street (two lanes each way plus a fifth left turn lane), I'm in the left lane, the road is straight, there are no other cars around me, and the lanes are very well painted on a fresh (nice and black) road surface.

I didn't detect any "corrective steering" in the steering wheel. The alert lasted for about five seconds. My wife was in the process of trying to get her phone out in time to take a picture of the alert and it disappeared.

I didn't realize that the car even had the ability to apply corrective steering during manual driving. I knew that it would do emergency braking, but the steering was a new one on me.

The audible alarm was pretty intense.

Firmware 32.0 has been pretty buggy for me. I've had multiple MCU restarts, multiple bugs while driving, and slacker hasn't been working well, either.

Anyway.... has anyone else had this weird "Potential Collision Detected" with corrective steering warning pop up randomly? We couldn't determine what it was that triggered it... no overpass, very nicely done road with great lane painting, no other cars, sun wasn't at a weird angle, road was straight. Really odd.

Reactions: fredjan
I experienced this last week for the 1st time in my MS. In my case, a car in the lane to my left was drifting too close to the rear left of my car.
I heard an odd BEEP BEEP BEEP sound through the speakers, and the screen was flashing red. My car DID automatically and abruptly veer to the right (to avoid the collision with the car to my left). Autopilot was NOT engaged at the time. My hands were on the wheel, and not knowing what was going on, I resisted the wheel's sudden steering change, and it disengaged. I didn't leave my lane, but quickly and abruptly shifted to the far right of the lane.

Don't know what would have happened if I hadn't resisted the steering wheel's movement. Maybe the car was going to fully shift into the right lane. Not sure. But glad Tess was watching out for me, and avoided that car that was getting just a bit too close!

Reactions: Phlier
OK, so this one was new for me...

Driving along, no automation engaged; I'm driving old school.

Suddenly get multiple audible alarms, a red icon appears on screen, and says something like: "Potential Collision Detected. Corrective steering applied."

I'm driving on a four lane street (two lanes each way plus a fifth left turn lane), I'm in the left lane, the road is straight, there are no other cars around me, and the lanes are very well painted on a fresh (nice and black) road surface.

I didn't detect any "corrective steering" in the steering wheel. The alert lasted for about five seconds. My wife was in the process of trying to get her phone out in time to take a picture of the alert and it disappeared.

I didn't realize that the car even had the ability to apply corrective steering during manual driving. I knew that it would do emergency braking, but the steering was a new one on me.

The audible alarm was pretty intense.

Firmware 32.0 has been pretty buggy for me. I've had multiple MCU restarts, multiple bugs while driving, and slacker hasn't been working well, either.

Anyway.... has anyone else had this weird "Potential Collision Detected" with corrective steering warning pop up randomly? We couldn't determine what it was that triggered it... no overpass, very nicely done road with great lane painting, no other cars, sun wasn't at a weird angle, road was straight. Really odd.

Did you hit the record on your TeslaCam afterwards? I have never had anything weird like this happen, but when Autopilot rebels over a lane change I sometimes hit it, just so I can review for things I might not have noticed, later.

I had that happen last week when I was still on 28.3. Curvy road with no obvious obstacles. I thought maybe it panicked due to getting close to the shoulder line, but like you, I detected no corrective steering. It’s possible I steered the same way the car did, at the same time, I suppose.

I experienced this last week for the 1st time in my MS. In my case, a car in the lane to my left was drifting too close to the rear left of my car.
I heard an odd BEEP BEEP BEEP sound through the speakers, and the screen was flashing red. My car DID automatically and abruptly veer to the right (to avoid the collision with the car to my left). Autopilot was NOT engaged at the time. My hands were on the wheel, and not knowing what was going on, I resisted the wheel's sudden steering change, and it disengaged. I didn't leave my lane, but quickly and abruptly shifted to the far right of the lane.

Don't know what would have happened if I hadn't resisted the steering wheel's movement. Maybe the car was going to fully shift into the right lane. Not sure. But glad Tess was watching out for me, and avoided that car that was getting just a bit too close!

Glad to hear it works correctly when you need it. What did you think about that audible warning? I think the darn thing took two years off my life.

Did you hit the record on your TeslaCam afterwards? I have never had anything weird like this happen, but when Autopilot rebels over a lane change I sometimes hit it, just so I can review for things I might not have noticed, later.

Darn it, I need to get in the "press the camera button, dummy!" mindset; still not used to that being a feature. I even nerded out on it to the point of setting up a Raspberry Pi to auto-dump the footage on my home computer. Even more, I bought an otherwise un-needed WiFi extender just to give me better WiFi speed for the car as it sits in the garage! I'm going to go scrub through the "recent" folder just to see if it's still there, but I doubt it is. We did quite a bit of driving today.

I was so busy asking the wife to take a picture of the screen with her phone so we could get the exact wording of the warning that I completely spaced out on the car's camera. :(

Haven't seen that yet. It sounds like ELDA might have triggered? I'm not positive what messages pop up for ELDA, but that set seem appropriate to what it is/does.

I think ELDA turns the lane red and had different wording... something about Lane Departure Avoidance Activated, Corrective Steering Applied. The lane didn't turn red in our case, and the wording was a lot different, too.

I had that happen last week when I was still on 28.3. Curvy road with no obvious obstacles. I thought maybe it panicked due to getting close to the shoulder line, but like you, I detected no corrective steering. It’s possible I steered the same way the car did, at the same time, I suppose.

Glad to hear that someone else had a false positive on this, too. I was thinking that if I didn't hear from anyone else having this happen, that I'd run it by the service guys and see what they think.

I don't mind the false positive, TBH. I'm glad the system is there and working. I can see it saving a lot of injuries and possibly lives. Not to mention property damage expenses.

OMG, I love my car! More and more every day. OK, enough typing. I gotta go give Bluebird a bird bath.

Thanks for the responses, gents. Much appreciated.

We just picked up our Model 3 SR on Wednesday. Driving it home through windy, narrow, country roads with tall berms on either side, we were getting red sonar lines on the display for long periods of time, and several times had the potential collision avoided, emergency steering message appeared. Confusing and startling for a new owner, for sure. Only once did I actually feel some steering though.

We experimented with it more over the next few days and it must be happening because of the tall berms that start right at the edge of the black top. That coupled with the car being just slightly wider than our old vehicle, it's going to take some driver training to avoid the beeps. On those roads though, there's nothing to be done about it - you have to be right up on the edge.

The emergency lane departure avoidance warning comes on when the car believes that you will either hit an object or run off the roadway if you continue on the current course. It does provide steering assist, but it is pretty subtle unless you're aggressively veering off the road and easy to miss. When the feature was initially released in 2019.16.x, it produced many false positives, but Tesla has since increased the threshold for activation quite a bit and made the maneuver itself much smoother. You can turn this feature off in the settings, but, unlike the regular lane departure avoidance, it will come back on at the start of each drive.

Here's one of the larger post-release threads on false positives.

I just had this happen to me last night. I was trying to switch lanes, iirc even had my blinker on, and the car freaked out. Fortunately, this didn't register as FCW for Tesla Insurance. (That also surprised me!)

For those curious, it sounds exactly like two FCWs in a row.

I've had this happen a couple times. Sometimes, it is as you described and I don't sense the car do anything. Once or twice, I thought I could feel it make a correction. I believe there are settings under safety to let you tune this if you don't want it, but I suspect it is a good thing, even if startling.

I've trained myself (I hope) to _ignore_ alarms in the sense of not looking at the display. I think this is a flaw in Tesla's UI. If there is an emergency, you don't want to draw the driver's attention away from the road. I try to respond to any alarm by looking around rather than trying to see what the screen is saying, but, honestly, I don't know how trainable that is. I love my car but Tesla has some serious UI issues, in my opinion.

Reactions: fredjan