Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

potential phone key fix (or at least partial solution) for android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm going to call this a success, at least for now on the OP5. sorry that it hasn't helped others...but it at least has given me a little insight as to what's going on.

in addition to the beacon scanner running in the background, i've also set up tasker (like i mentioned) to run the tesla app and set the oom value as low as possible every 10 minutes to try to keep it active in memory. i keep messing with the interval, but i think right now i have it set to every 10 minutes. i don't know if this part has helped or not, but i'm going to leave it alone since i have it working (other than possibly tweaking the interval some more).

my success rate has gone from it almost never working to nearly 100%. i can seriously count on one hand the number of times it has failed since i started this around two weeks ago. especially notable is opening the trunk, which i don't think has failed even once since implementing this. prior to doing this, the trunk almost never worked...i would always have to either press the button on the app or open a door first. now i can just walk up to the trunk and open it.

i'm going to call this a success, at least for now on the OP5. sorry that it hasn't helped others...but it at least has given me a little insight as to what's going on.

in addition to the beacon scanner running in the background, i've also set up tasker (like i mentioned) to run the tesla app and set the oom value as low as possible every 10 minutes to try to keep it active in memory. i keep messing with the interval, but i think right now i have it set to every 10 minutes. i don't know if this part has helped or not, but i'm going to leave it alone since i have it working (other than possibly tweaking the interval some more).

my success rate has gone from it almost never working to nearly 100%. i can seriously count on one hand the number of times it has failed since i started this around two weeks ago. especially notable is opening the trunk, which i don't think has failed even once since implementing this. prior to doing this, the trunk almost never worked...i would always have to either press the button on the app or open a door first. now i can just walk up to the trunk and open it.
Does having Tasker perform an action every 10 minutes interfere with your phones ability to sleep?

Does having Tasker perform an action every 10 minutes interfere with your phones ability to sleep?

probably...like i said in the OP, my battery usage at idle went from around 3% per hour to 4% per hour just with the beacon scanner running. with the tasker component involved, it has gone up to about 4.5%. i'm ok with the trade off as long as the phone key actually works...

after nearly two weeks of almost 100% success rate, I've had three separate instances today where walk away lock didn't work. this is just so frustrating...
there's no reason for walk away to not work, unless you unlocked with RFID (either keycard or keyfob) ? Are you sure you were far enough away for it to lock, or maybe you just didn't hear it ? (I don't think I've ever had it not lock unless I opened it with RFID, though often I don't hear it beep due to sound level or occlusion in large parking lots, but checking the app it is locked ... )

there's no reason for walk away to not work, unless you unlocked with RFID (either keycard or keyfob) ? Are you sure you were far enough away for it to lock, or maybe you just didn't hear it ? (I don't think I've ever had it not lock unless I opened it with RFID, though often I don't hear it beep due to sound level or occlusion in large parking lots, but checking the app it is locked ... )

positive. it just did it again, I got out of the car and went into the Dr office and checked on the app...unlocked. I'm parked plenty far away enough from the building that it should have known I left the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: BioSehnsucht

it just did it again. this car and phone key crap is madness at this point.

the only thing that has changed in the past few days is me installing my satellite radio...makes me wonder if the car is falsely detecting some sort of draw there (even though it shuts off when I shut the door) and preventing the car from locking. the frustrating thing is that there's no rhyme or reason between when it works and when it doesnt.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
...and now today passive unlock didn't work. for the first time in 2+ weeks. and of course on the one day a year it rains in southern california, and while it was pouring.

i f***ing hate this stupid f***ing phone key.
Knock on wood veneer dash, but so far the phone key still works for me after updating Android to Oreo. If it starts acting up again for me, I'll just drop $150 and get a key fob to avoid the nonsense.

My old Nexus 6 worked less than 25% of the time. The unreliable phone key used to be the thing I disliked the most about my Model 3. After switching to the OnePlus 6t a month ago, it's been working 99% of the time. The one time it didn't work was before I disabled battery optimization for the Tesla app, so time will tell whether that was the issue. If you're trying to decide whether to buy the key fob, you may want to consider spending that $150 toward a newer phone instead.

This fix seems to work pretty well for me.

Been 6 of 7 on walk up unlock. The drivers door and trunk. The one time it didn't work I heard the door unlock as soon as I pulled my phone out of my pocket.

Walk away lock worked every time.

That's way, way better than my first ~5 weeks of ownership. I had mainly just used my wallet/key card because the phone wasn't reliable.

I'm very pleased so far.

Reactions: crackers8199
Samsung...works 100%. I like this method of locking and unlocking. I did turn off the folding mirrors. In all my years if driving I have never had the need to fold in my side mirrors. Why would one park in such a small parking spot where this would be needed? To each their own.

Now about the interior sound levels, and the dismal trunk/boot lights...but I digress.

My old Nexus 6 worked less than 25% of the time. The unreliable phone key used to be the thing I disliked the most about my Model 3. After switching to the OnePlus 6t a month ago, it's been working 99% of the time. The one time it didn't work was before I disabled battery optimization for the Tesla app, so time will tell whether that was the issue. If you're trying to decide whether to buy the key fob, you may want to consider spending that $150 toward a newer phone instead.

thank you for that, actually. the 6T is the phone i would be upgrading to if i were to go that route (currently on a OP5)...so it's good to hear that it works most of the time. could you please keep me posted from time to time if you have any issues, or even if it just keeps on working?

Reactions: David L
Sigh. Unlock has now failed the last two days when I was heading to work. It only worked 1 of 2 times leaving work.

Walk away lock seems to be working as soon as I'm about ten feet from my driver's door now. Initially it seemed to not lock until 20-25 feet. I know that's not much difference than before. But maybe that shorter range indicates decreased signal/sensitivity which is why walk up unlock isn't working well anymore?

Crazy how just a few days can swing things both ways.

Sigh. Unlock has now failed the last two days when I was heading to work. It only worked 1 of 2 times leaving work.

Walk away lock seems to be working as soon as I'm about ten feet from my driver's door now. Initially it seemed to not lock until 20-25 feet. I know that's not much difference than before. But maybe that shorter range indicates decreased signal/sensitivity which is why walk up unlock isn't working well anymore?

Crazy how just a few days can swing things both ways.

no kidding. after literally 10-14 days of it working almost perfectly, it has gone back to being completely unreliable.

this is by far the most frustrating thing about this car.