Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Salvage Model S Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2015 P85D covered under the factory CPO warranty. So far that has been a very useful asset due to several minor issues (door handles, tie-rod, trunk latch, MCU, etc). However, a friend has a 2012 P85 that was just totaled by insurance due to a minor rear-end collision. No airbags, no structural or battery damage. There are no warnings at all on the MCU. The vehicle just received a new battery under warranty and the P-motor was also replaced only a year ago. He's offering to sell it to me for the insurance buy-back price.

I think that I can replace the rear hatch for under $5k, including paint. My question is, what other issues might I have with car in the future. I have read the threads and I'm mostly concerned with parts availability and supercharging. It appears that once the title is flagged as salvage that supercharging will go away. Is that true? This car will be out of all warranty in a few months, so I'm not too concerned with software updates. Assuming it's on the current software, is it possible to root the MCU and roll it back to keep supercharging? If so, what features will go away? I'm assuming the map and nav system, but I have no idea.

Please provide your input. I'm thinking this would be a good deal, but my wife thinks it's a can of worms that I shouldn't mess with.

how much is the value?
Also, what kind of battery was installed (get a pic of the label).. there are refurb 85's using 85 cells and reman 85's using 100 cells.. you want the latter
Otherwise, MCU1 issues, door handles, DCDC converter are the major issues. May have already been replaced though

how much is the value?
Also, what kind of battery was installed (get a pic of the label).. there are refurb 85's using 85 cells and reman 85's using 100 cells.. you want the latter
Otherwise, MCU1 issues, door handles, DCDC converter are the major issues. May have already been replaced though

The value is $11k. It still drives just fine. I figure under $16k total to be fully repaired.

I'll need to request a picture of the battery label. Is that visible without pulling covers? MCU has already been replaced with a refurb unit. A couple door handles are the new gen that require registration. Is that going to be a problem with a rooted car? DCDC should be fine.

Here's a picture of the new battery. Can you tell me which version this is?

Attachments

• IMG_20200911_215827.jpg
    IMG_20200911_215827.jpg
    924.9 KB · Views: 116
I'm pretty sure that's the old battery 400V 85KW battery using 85 cell - note it says Refurb on the label Also, my understanding is that no more supercharging with salvage cars -and that included any DC fast charging, if I recall- I think there is a whole thread on this or at least a video from RichRebuilds about it I'd probably pass

That battery is still subject to batterygate and charge gate, and it will probably (not sure how Tesla would get notification of salvage status) lose supercharging ability altogether. But, for 15k, it’s a pretty awesome car and deal imho