Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential UK Model Y Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks GRiLLA, good point, it's certainly a risk I need to weigh up.

The issue appears to be that Tesla remove the facilities before they have replacements for them. I'm aware of things like Autopark and Summon for example, as well as the parking issue using Tesla Vision.

Whilst I realise that Tesla have moved to Tesla vision for FSD, it appears they neglected the need to still provide decent parking details.

As has been mentioned, FSD and to a great extent EAP are useless on UK roads, particularly in it's current state. It's such a shame that something as simple and necessary as decent parking sensors have been neglected.
So I've had 2 model 3's now over 4 years, both with USS, and had FSD on the first one, EAP on the second.

AutoPark and summon are gimmicks, it's occasionally entertaining to use them but they really aren't useful as everyday type things. I would suggest that most people on here feel the same. Unessential gimmicks.

AutoPilot however is something that I use routinely on motorways. Using it anywhere else is far too terrifying for me. I wouldn't be without the lane change feature either, the complete experience transforms long journeys like the trip I recently had Oxford - Kintyre, used AP the entire motorway route with no issue. If you read the threads on here it's a topic of great debate, some people find it unusable, other like me find it amazingly valuable. I try to avoid getting into debates around it as nothing good ever comes of them as people get very animated around their safe or not opinions.

I don't park in a garage, but reverse around another car to get onto our drive, I don't find the USS especially useful as like others have sent they just say Stop far too soon. If you only have a few inches around the car in your garage you are likely to find the same. I don't think this is really a Tesla things as my previous cars were no better, just starting panic beeping. The cameras are excellent for reversing, less so for going forward, these days I reverse into any spot. I see the only value of USS to be highlighting something I might not have noticed.

I've not tried the USS-less cars yet so have no valid experience, but I like the way they seem to highlight kerbs which is harder to judge in my car.

I don't park in a garage, but reverse around another car to get onto our drive, I don't find the USS especially useful as like others have sent they just say Stop far too soon. If you only have a few inches around the car in your garage you are likely to find the same. I don't think this is really a Tesla things as my previous cars were no better, just starting panic beeping. The cameras are excellent for reversing, less so for going forward, these days I reverse into any spot. I see the only value of USS to be highlighting something I might not have noticed.
With so many people upset by not having USS it always felt wrong to complain about the USS but this is exactly what I think.
Useful only for "unexpected item in maneuvering area" no good for tight maneuvering.
Reverse and use cameras is the way forward.
Still rather have them than not just in case though..........

AutoPark and summon are gimmicks, it's occasionally entertaining to use them but they really aren't useful as everyday type things.

I've used Summon to move the car out of a puddle (when I returned to the car park), and similar when the person at the next bay had parked so close I couldn't get in

Never used it other than that .... I think it is so slow as to be too disappointing as a "demo to mates"

So I've had 2 model 3's now over 4 years, both with USS, and had FSD on the first one, EAP on the second.

AutoPark and summon are gimmicks, it's occasionally entertaining to use them but they really aren't useful as everyday type things. I would suggest that most people on here feel the same. Unessential gimmicks.

AutoPilot however is something that I use routinely on motorways. Using it anywhere else is far too terrifying for me. I wouldn't be without the lane change feature either, the complete experience transforms long journeys like the trip I recently had Oxford - Kintyre, used AP the entire motorway route with no issue. If you read the threads on here it's a topic of great debate, some people find it unusable, other like me find it amazingly valuable. I try to avoid getting into debates around it as nothing good ever comes of them as people get very animated around their safe or not opinions.

I've not tried the USS-less cars yet so have no valid experience, but I like the way they seem to highlight kerbs which is harder to judge in my car.

Thanks GRiLLA, I see your points totally, certainly for UK driving (unless you drive high miles), the standard AutoPilot seems to be the best option.

I can see, the attraction of Summon, thinking it could be useful getting the car out of the garage. I watched some YouTube video's of both last night (I Know I shouldn't have, I'll be Googling next!) and thought both systems looked clunky and slow, like they were betas (oh, hold on...), certainly not worth the price until they work smoothly.

It's still the USS issue that bothers me, and I completely understand the 'don't buy it then' comments, but I really like the car and am trying to see if there are ways around the issue. After all how difficult can it be? here's a picture of my MINI Electric which, as I say is almost half the price of a Y.

IMG_8590.JPG

Thanks GRiLLA, I see your points totally, certainly for UK driving (unless you drive high miles), the standard AutoPilot seems to be the best option.

I can see, the attraction of Summon, thinking it could be useful getting the car out of the garage. I watched some YouTube video's of both last night (I Know I shouldn't have, I'll be Googling next!) and thought both systems looked clunky and slow, like they were betas (oh, hold on...), certainly not worth the price until they work smoothly.

It's still the USS issue that bothers me, and I completely understand the 'don't buy it then' comments, but I really like the car and am trying to see if there are ways around the issue. After all how difficult can it be? here's a picture of my MINI Electric which, as I say is almost half the price of a Y.

View attachment 963734
Tennis ball on string positioned to touch the windscreen when you are far enough in :)

I would reverse in, I can see from the camera how far I am from the back of a space/wall. Side cameras and mirrors to check I'm not going to hit the sides.

Reactions: laservet and NUModY
here's a picture of my MINI Electric which, as I say is almost half the price of a Y

Sorry, but that's not relevant.

Tesla decides to do X. Numerous times it has decided to remove something, or to stop doing X and replace it with Y.

Typically they do that before the replacement is ready, and put up with a backlash of new owners being disappointed.

And then, sometimes, they take a sometime-never period to sort it out. For example: Auto-Wipers, Auto-Headlights, and Matrix Headlights (i.e. to aactually make use of the matrix ability)

Historically they fell out with MobileEye (who, at the time, were providing the AP capability). Tesla said "We'll build our own", and cars (bought with AP, which was an option and not "included" back then) came without anything. No cruise, no AP. From memory it took a year before the replacement appeared, and it was probably another year before it came anywhere close to the original MobileEye product.

Lots to like. The updates will almost certain bring you something you find useful ... but maybe not the one thing that you would actually like.

Example of case-in-point:

High end cars (Tesla, Range Rover, Merc) were being nicked by an exploit that allow a thief to put an" aerial" close to where the key was (in the house, e.g. near the door) and "relay" the signal to a mate with another aerial near the car. Car unlocked, and thief drove it away.

Within very short order Tesla came up with "Pin to Drive" (4 digit pin number you put in before every drive). Back then the others didn't have a large screen and OTA updates, so weren't able to "just add an option" to the existing screen menus. Adding a new physical button to the dash is nothing like as easy as a virtual button :)

The other brands, a year or so later, offered a replacement key fob which stopped transmitting if it didn't move for X minutes. Several £hundred for the new key fob. Tesla solution : "Free" and available relatively soon after the exploit started happening.

Sentry Mode is the sort of thing that was probably "discovered" by an intern in their lunch hour, and became a feature. It uses a horrific amount of juice, compared to a 3rd party DashCam, 'coz the car has to be "constantly on" for Sentry Mode to work. But ... neat trick as a retro update (but don't go wanting it to use less juice etc., because it isn't an originally designed feature, its a serendipity discovery. A bit like Fart Mode ... and Boombox use of the external speaker, for pedestrian awareness when the car is travelling at low speed, and now available to broadcast to the whole street ...

Its basically Marmite. Either you are in ... or you aint :)

All cars are compromises. All cars have their plus points (range for example, in the case of Tesla vs Mini) and their negative points - no USS in the newer models. Only you can decide what is important to you.

Like others, I use cameras more than USS. I can't recall the last time USS warned me of something I wasn't already aware of.

Just for jollies I checked the USS this morning. I backed into a parking space at work until the USS said I had 24" left before hitting a cement curb that would do some damage. I measured the actual distance, 12", so off by 100% in the wrong direction. I tried it yesterday on an X5, at least off by 100%. With a horizontal object sticking out into the path, neither car's USS saw it.

As far as disabling the USS when they get vision only to work better than USS, they most surely will turn them off. Leaving them on is a small drain on the battery, if no longer in use it would be foolish not to turn them off.
This morning I pulled into the parking space front first, the USS didn't see the curb at all, no warning about an obstruction that would trash the front bumper. USS is old, inaccurate technology, vision only should pull ahead of it in terms of usefulness as they move everything into the end to end foundation model.

Patience!

• Funny
Reactions: Zilla91
This morning I pulled into the parking space front first, the USS didn't see the curb at all, no warning about an obstruction that would trash the front bumper. USS is old, inaccurate technology, vision only should pull ahead of it in terms of usefulness as they move everything into the end to end foundation model.

Patience!
....& all this before your alarm clock sounded.

Last edited:
Thanks our all your responses guys, You've given me a lot to think about.

Looking on Autotrader and there are a few 22 reg's with USS at mid £40k, grey with 20 inch wheels, Although from what has been said, I'm not sure I should insist on them, I'm hoping to try one out soon.

The Tesla site has new MYLR's with 20's at £52,330 saving £3,860, which sounds good.

Mrklaw mentioned that prices tend to be reduced at the end of each quarter, how much lower to they tend to go?

Thanks our all your responses guys, You've given me a lot to think about.

Looking on Autotrader and there are a few 22 reg's with USS at mid £40k, grey with 20 inch wheels, Although from what has been said, I'm not sure I should insist on them, I'm hoping to try one out soon.

The Tesla site has new MYLR's with 20's at £52,330 saving £3,860, which sounds good.

Mrklaw mentioned that prices tend to be reduced at the end of each quarter, how much lower to they tend to go?

Mine was a RWD mid June pickup, think it was 38900 or something. About £4300 off. More recently they’ve done no discount but 0% finance on PCP which actually works out a little better over the lifetime.

• Informative
Reactions: NUModY