Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential UK Model Y Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for jollies I checked the USS this morning. I backed into a parking space at work until the USS said I had 24" left before hitting a cement curb that would do some damage. I measured the actual distance, 12", so off by 100% in the wrong direction. I tried it yesterday on an X5, at least off by 100%. With a horizontal object sticking out into the path, neither car's USS saw it.

As far as disabling the USS when they get vision only to work better than USS, they most surely will turn them off. Leaving them on is a small drain on the battery, if no longer in use it would be foolish not to turn them off.

also consider likely end of quarter incentives from tesla which may make new appealing.

people managed in the olden days without parking sensors. Yes its annoying and potentially a dealbreaker, but perhaps it could work. For walls the side cameras give a pretty good view to judge side to side positioning. Rear positioning if you're reversing in the camera is pretty good if you compensate for the wide angle lens as you get closer. or put a tennis ball on a bit of string if you're parking forwards :)

• Helpful
Reactions: NUModY
I'm not a moderator so I can't help you there - may @jjrandorin can advise? Otherwise, you can certainly cut and paste your original post, I'd imagine....

(moderator note)

I could certainly move it if the OP ( @NUModY ) wants me to. The content is also relevant here which is why I didnt move it in the first place but if the OP wants it moved, they can report their first post and ask a mod to move it, and I will do so.

My car is a 72 built around July 22 and delivered in September and it DOES have the sensors. The ones delivered by the end of the year did not. So I think you are safe with any 22 plate but 72 will be a mixture and 23 no chance.

I do find even the USS a bit paranoid though they tell me to "stop" when there is still plenty of room in my opinion.
I generally tend to reverse park so I mainly use the 3 cameras for parking. Did you try reversing into your garage? it only shows one by default when reversing I think but if you drag up you get left and right as well as rear.

1691595939784.png

• Helpful
I tried to check the MY would fit in the garage - WTF! where are the parking sensors? What the hell is this worm running around the car? I get SHMBO to direct the car and see the worm is half way up the bonnet. Damn, we both love the car, but we can’t go through this rigmarole every time we drive the car costing £50k +.
Strictly speaking the visualisation with USS is still a 'worm', I'm not really sure what else you think it might be. It might be more accurate, but the image is the same.

• Informative
As far as disabling the USS when they get vision only to work better than USS, they most surely will turn them off.

If vision-only works better than USS, then by all means they *should* turn off the USS. Highly skeptical that vision will ever work better than USS though. There's not even a camera down there, so they have to rely on object permanence.

• Helpful
If that’s your daily usage I’d buy a second hand car with USS.

Elastoplast solution only, but when I used to park in a garage (that was reasonably tight) I had a bump-stop just drove until I hit that. Much easier than USS. No use if parking in an unfamiliar location that needs USS, and one "back into parking space" where there is a short post that isn't easily visible is an expensive repair. BTDTGTTS back in days when cars didn't have USS and I couldn't see the blooming short-post :(

If you don't like uncertainty don't buy a car that is mostly software. Software always changes and sometimes not for the good.

Definitely sometimes not for the good - styling changes that are change-for-change-sake, and nothing you can do about it. There has never been a "Classic mode" type retro presentation provided.

however, if O/P wants to see what sort of improvements might come over a year ... or several ... then have a look at Tesla Info and decide whether you'd be likely to get that from any other Marque :)

also consider likely end of quarter incentives from tesla which may make new appealing.

people managed in the olden days without parking sensors. Yes its annoying and potentially a dealbreaker, but perhaps it could work. For walls the side cameras give a pretty good view to judge side to side positioning. Rear positioning if you're reversing in the camera is pretty good if you compensate for the wide angle lens as you get closer. or put a tennis ball on a bit of string if you're parking forwards :)
Thanks Mrklaw, I get what you're saying and some good ideas. I drive forward into the garage and have seen things that would stop the car and/or indicate where the front is. When I tried the MY, it just fitted with about an 8-10 inch space at the front.

Is the Tesla quarter as per the calendar, i.e. then next end would be the end of September?

Thanks Mrklaw, I get what you're saying and some good ideas. I drive forward into the garage and have seen things that would stop the car and/or indicate where the front is. When I tried the MY, it just fitted with about an 8-10 inch space at the front.

Is the Tesla quarter as per the calendar, i.e. then next end would be the end of September?
Yes

My car is a 72 built around July 22 and delivered in September and it DOES have the sensors. The ones delivered by the end of the year did not. So I think you are safe with any 22 plate but 72 will be a mixture and 23 no chance.

I do find even the USS a bit paranoid though they tell me to "stop" when there is still plenty of room in my opinion.
I generally tend to reverse park so I mainly use the 3 cameras for parking. Did you try reversing into your garage? it only shows one by default when reversing I think but if you drag up you get left and right as well as rear.

View attachment 963503
Thanks Jason71, what sort of distance do the USS indicate accurately?

I've seen a few 22 plates around £45K, and if I understand correctly, USS would be the only physical difference from a 23 model?

Elastoplast solution only, but when I used to park in a garage (that was reasonably tight) I had a bump-stop just drove until I hit that. Much easier than USS. No use if parking in an unfamiliar location that needs USS, and one "back into parking space" where there is a short post that isn't easily visible is an expensive repair. BTDTGTTS back in days when cars didn't have USS and I couldn't see the blooming short-post :(

Definitely sometimes not for the good - styling changes that are change-for-change-sake, and nothing you can do about it. There has never been a "Classic mode" type retro presentation provided.

however, if O/P wants to see what sort of improvements might come over a year ... or several ... then have a look at Tesla Info and decide whether you'd be likely to get that from any other Marque :)

Thanks WannabeOwner, some good points there, certainly given me things to think about.

Strictly speaking the visualisation with USS is still a 'worm', I'm not really sure what else you think it might be. It might be more accurate, but the image is the same.
Thanks, I did think it was a 'worm', but expect it to be more accurate, not showing half way up the bonnet when its 8-10 inches from a wall.

Thanks Jason71, what sort of distance do the USS indicate accurately?

I've seen a few 22 plates around £45K, and if I understand correctly, USS would be the only physical difference from a 23 model?
Just because its you I went out and tested it
It gives you the distance to the nearest obstacle ( in inches sigh) but as soon as it goes below 12" inches it just says "STOP" and after that does not give you a distance. It seems pretty accurate to be fair but a foot is not really enough granularity as far as I am concerned.

There may be suspension differences. the early ones were said to have harder suspension but it is not clear if that is actually true or when it changed. and you probably won't get a parcel shelf on a 22. I don't know of any other differences
20230809_215445.jpg
20230809_215413.jpg

• Helpful
Just because its you I went out and tested it
It gives you the distance to the nearest obstacle ( in inches sigh) but as soon as it goes below 12" inches it just says "STOP" and after that does not give you a distance. It seems pretty accurate to be fair but a foot is not really enough granularity as far as I am concerned.

There may be suspension differences. the early ones were said to have harder suspension but it is not clear if that is actually true or when it changed. and you probably won't get a parcel shelf on a 22. I don't know of any other differences
.View attachment 963582View attachment 963583
Thank you so much for checking that Jason, I really appreciate your help.

Ive seen a 22 for sale at a dealer 12 miles away, I’ll try and give them a call tomorrow and go and have a look. It’s not the colour I’m after, but I’d like to try a car with USS and check out what is different.

To add, as I don't see it mentioned, historically Tesla have brought the sensorless features back to cars that still have the sensors through software updates

For example in late 21 they stopped fitting the forward radar to rely on their vision service instead. Initially cars with vision had limited features, but gradually they added back in these features so it was fully equivalent to the radar version by about July 22. A couple of months later they released an update that disabled radar on all the other cars that still had the sensor.

Personally I feel it drives under autopilot just as well as it did with radar, but there are niggles like enforcing autowipers that aren't great. Some people on here feel that it's more harsh at accelerating and braking.

The point being that the same may happen to USS, all Tesla have said was along the lines of 'at this time, no current plans' to disable them. So if you buy a second hard car specifically for a replaced feature I imagine you'd be rather annoyed if it disappears 6 months later.

• Informative
To add, as I don't see it mentioned, historically Tesla have brought the sensorless features back to cars that still have the sensors through software updates

For example in late 21 they stopped fitting the forward radar to rely on their vision service instead. Initially cars with vision had limited features, but gradually they added back in these features so it was fully equivalent to the radar version by about July 22. A couple of months later they released an update that disabled radar on all the other cars that still had the sensor.

Personally I feel it drives under autopilot just as well as it did with radar, but there are niggles like enforcing autowipers that aren't great. Some people on here feel that it's more harsh at accelerating and braking.

The point being that the same may happen to USS, all Tesla have said was along the lines of 'at this time, no current plans' to disable them. So if you buy a second hard car specifically for a replaced feature I imagine you'd be rather annoyed if it disappears 6 months later.
Thanks GRiLLA, good point, it's certainly a risk I need to weigh up.

The issue appears to be that Tesla remove the facilities before they have replacements for them. I'm aware of things like Autopark and Summon for example, as well as the parking issue using Tesla Vision.

Whilst I realise that Tesla have moved to Tesla vision for FSD, it appears they neglected the need to still provide decent parking details.

As has been mentioned, FSD and to a great extent EAP are useless on UK roads, particularly in it's current state. It's such a shame that something as simple and necessary as decent parking sensors have been neglected.

Reactions: Lord Farquad