TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power lift gate on Non-power lift gate MS

Discussion in 'Model S' started by L-P-G, Mar 31, 2016.

1. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

Has anyone tried this? changing the shocks is one thing but being the controls are software I'm not sure if it's even possible.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would think you would need the SW code, which is based in the MCU

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

In another thread one of the gurus (I think is was Ingineer?) said that the power liftgate is completely different, with some additional wiring harnesses not present in the unpowered car and even a different stamping. It won't be a simple project...
    Walter

edit: Here it is, post #25:
    An Open Letter to Elon Musk

4. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Yes, there is a lot to change. I even had all the parts sitting here from a wrecked car and considered it. Once I realized what was involved, I forgot about it and never looked back. It's not as heinous as retrofitting AutoPilot (almost impossible), but it's up there.

5. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

I knew it would be a challenge on the software side but I wasn't expecting even the aluminum to be stamped different, it does however make sense because a powered lift would need the same angle an air shock would.

6. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

The mount points are exactly the same. It's the holes for attaching the finger pinch sensors (tape switch) that are absent on the non-powered hatch. In theory you could drill them.