Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power steering issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Hi, had a very odd thing on my M3P, I was in reverse on full right lock waiting to turn around. While waiting the steering was tugging away from lock a degree or so at a time, initially I thought it was because I was on full lock, after a few seconds I tried turning the wheel and realised it had no assistance at all. I put it in park and the assistance came back. Has anyone else experienced this? I'll get it booked in but am hoping I can wait for Nottingham to open, any updates on when it will open? Thanks

How old is your 3? there's a recall on the loom for pretty much all 2019 cars (from what I can tell). It's not a pro-active recall though, so it only gets replaced when it's in for service. Mine fully failed early on and it was with the SC for 2 weeks while they were working out what the fix was, but my brother had his done recently while it was having the rear glass replaced.

How old is your 3? there's a recall on the loom for pretty much all 2019 cars (from what I can tell). It's not a pro-active recall though, so it only gets replaced when it's in for service. Mine fully failed early on and it was with the SC for 2 weeks while they were working out what the fix was, but my brother had his done recently while it was having the rear glass replaced.
September last year so it could well be that that's the issue

September last year so it could well be that that's the issue

Yes, mine is a September 19 car and had the issue. The software updates at least prevent the full "all systems" fault but you can still lose power steering. The car can be driven if absolutely necessary with extreme care .. and be prepared for the fault to come and go as you drive. I took mine straight to the Service Centre as soon as it happened (without an appointment!) ... though there's no guarantee it can be dealt with immediately, though mine was.

Reactions: m3gt2 and Roy W.
I never had the failure, but my car was in the affected range (Aug 2019).

I had a Ranger visit for something else a couple of weeks ago, and while he was here he rectified the wiring loom problem, it took him no more than 20 minutes, including the time taken to remove and replace the frunk bucket. Hopefully the fix is just as quick when you’ve already experienced the failure.

Reactions: m3gt2
I had a Ranger visit for something else a couple of weeks ago, and while he was here he rectified the wiring loom problem, it took him no more than 20 minutes, including the time taken to remove and replace the frunk bucket. Hopefully the fix is just as quick when you’ve already experienced the failure.

Yes, I think they have to dry out the affected connections on the loom if the problem has actually shown itself so I wouldn't be surprised if takes a bit longer in those instances.

Reactions: Roy W. and m3gt2
Hi This happened to me yesterday afternoon whilst trying to reverse in to heavy traffic. Suddenly the power steering failed and I was wrestling the steering wheel just to move it slightly. Tesla service have just told me steering assist is reduced on the model 3 if you have it on full lock for 15 seconds so as to prevent the ECU from overheating. Anyone else heard this ? Never known another car I have had not be able to be on full lock before

If you hold it on full lock for several seconds it will eventually unwind some of the lock itself (with some force) presumably to prevent damage to some part of the steering system. I can't get it to lose power steering altogether though and that's testing it in D, R, P and with foot on and off the brake.
I'd test it again @m3gt2 and count how many secoinds you have to hold it on full lock to lose PS completely, if it does do it again.

Reactions: m3gt2
Hi This happened to me yesterday afternoon whilst trying to reverse in to heavy traffic. Suddenly the power steering failed and I was wrestling the steering wheel just to move it slightly. Tesla service have just told me steering assist is reduced on the model 3 if you have it on full lock for 15 seconds so as to prevent the ECU from overheating. Anyone else heard this ? Never known another car I have had not be able to be on full lock before

Which model car and date when new? I will presume you have read the earlier posts about the electrical connector non-recall recall.

The loom issue was water ingres causing multiple errors including lack of power steering, but this sounds completely different and I think it may just be this full lock safeguard causing some confusion as there are no errors generated. An on screen warning might be useful,

The loom issue was water ingres causing multiple errors including lack of power steering, but this sounds completely different and I think it may just be this full lock safeguard causing some confusion as there are no errors generated. An on screen warning might be useful,
Yes, an on screen warning would be expected ... certainly for the recall version but also for any other circumstance when the power steering packed in!

Yes, an on screen warning would be expected ... certainly for the recall version but also for any other circumstance when the power steering packed in!
Yes, just like a 'camera obscured' type of warning. Enough to explain to the driver why it's happened.

Actually, without wanting to complicate things too much, a simplified log of events stored on the USB drive would be really handy for things like this. Not as much data as Tesla can see but more than we get in the list of alerts. Nerds like me would find it really useful.

Reactions: Adopado
If you hold it on full lock for several seconds it will eventually unwind some of the lock itself (with some force) presumably to prevent damage to some part of the steering system. I can't get it to lose power steering altogether though and that's testing it in D, R, P and with foot on and off the brake.
I'd test it again @m3gt2 and count how many secoinds you have to hold it on full lock to lose PS completely, if it does do it again.
Thanks, I haven't had it happen again luckily but I'll see if I can replicate it

Reactions: Dangerous Fish