Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POWER TRAIN PROBLEMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not able to charge the car with my UMC. I'm not sure if that is the problem in the first place as I was charging the Roadster when the Model S charger kicked in and the power source can't power both cars at the same time? Here are the 3 screens with the error codes. Of course I just had the car serviced and the PEM cleaned and Fan replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    525.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    661.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    518.8 KB · Views: 122
Will it drive? Maybe the low voltage tripped something. I'd start it up and drive it out of the garage and back in an then try again. Lights on the UMC look ok? Does the charge ring turn blue when you slide the switch in? Do you hear the contactors click like it's trying to start charging?

I'm not able to charge the car with my UMC
Sorry to hear about your problem. By "UMC" do you mean the 240V charging cable?

Will the car charge with the 110V cable?

Try opening and closing the charge port door at least 5 times before attempting to charge again. And I echo @strider's questions. Need more information than you provided in your post.

OK. I'm in NJ until tomorrow night. I'll get back home and try the door trick. I also didn't try to start it again. Initially as soon as I got it back from the service center the powertrain problem would flash on and off so quickly and intermittently that I couldn't even take a pic of it. The UMC is plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet as an FYI. The light is on as normal. Initially I had to push the test button to get it to work again after the power went out. I haven't tried charging it with the 110 charger.

So the car will startup but says "Limited power" on the dash as well as the expected "fault." I tried charging the car and it said "charge when safe" and would not allow the car to charge , remaining with a blue light at the charging port. I tried plugging in the 110v charger and it kept saying "Preparing to charge. Connect cable" despite it being connected but the charge port light remained white. The local SC can't take the car in until the 19th and I hope the battery will stay charged until then...

Since you have a couple weeks to kill if you are handy with a multimeter you might check the input fuses in the PEM. I'm not familiar with error 1141 and it is not listed in my (pretty extensive) list of Roadster error codes. The fuses are under the cover on the top right side of the PEM. Follow the procedures listed in the PEM cleaning thread to get at them. If one of the two fuses is blown it might cause the symptoms you are seeing.

@PRJIM - just took delivery of my Roadster #1438 yesterday, and after some rain this morning and the car being parked outside, I plugged my UMC in, and experienced this error as well. I.D. 286. and 288.

I previously had the same issue with my 2.5 #1213 when it got snowed on. From my knowledge, it appears to be a safety mechanism that disconnects electrical current through the vehicle when it feels threatened by moisture. What I still DON'T understand, however, is WHEN it decides it's okay to restart.

It does worry me that this car already shows this issue when it rains. I washed the car yesterday when I got it with zero issues, too.
Very strange.

UPDATE: according to the Wiki, ID 288 is the following.

288: BSM: V_ess too low during precharge, t2.

Anyone have experience with this, and can elaborate?

80 miles. I should make it until they pickup the car next Tuesday
I have had great success preserving the battery by simply disconnecting it. This is accomplished by:
  1. Inhibiting the APS
  2. Disconnecting the battery service plug
In fact, I saved a battery on the brink of bricking using the aforementioned process. The mileage was dangerously low at 20 miles and disconnecting the battery gave me a week to identify and solve the charging problem I was having.

So when the flatbed showed up last night to pickup the car It wouldn't go anywhere. The dash lit up with the "fault" and "power limited" and on the CDS screen the previously showed screens. Fortunately it's a relatively light car so between the 3 of us we pushed it out of the garage and I'll see what they have to say..

Thank you. I read the thread. It seems (the thread) related to moisture and the car has been in the garage all summer after it was serviced!! I tried opening and closing the port multiple times and not able to charge. it says on the VDAS "Start when safe" among other things which I posted earlier, which I have no idea what that means.