Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 Powered Trunk Retrofit is now available! I just ordered mine and set up an appointment. The option probably won't last long so get it while you can. Btw, I couldn't find the retrofit going directly to the Accessory page in the app. I had to scan the QR code on the website and that took me to the Powered Trunk Retrofit page in the app. Remember, the retrofit is for 2019 and 2020 Model 3s.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-powered-trunk-retrofit

Last edited:
Reactions: laiod
My appointment for the install is this Saturday (18 Nov). I messaged the service centre asking about a loaner and was informed that the install will only take 4 hours and no loaner will be supplied. Bummer.

But still excited to get my retrofit done.
Turns out mine was the first retrofit at the SC I use. It took them longer than 4 hrs. It was almost 2 days.

• Helpful
Reactions: spsheridan
Turns out mine was the first retrofit at the SC I use. It took them longer than 4 hrs. It was almost 2 days.
I just took my Model 3 in this morning for the retrofit at our nearest SC. It is also the first retrofit they are doing. When I asked how long it would take, he said 2-3 hours. I almost laughed but just replied, good luck. Hopefully, they don't make any major mistakes using my car as their retrofit training vehicle. I'll provide an update when I get it back but I don't expect it any sooner than tomorrow.

I just took my Model 3 in this morning for the retrofit at our nearest SC. It is also the first retrofit they are doing. When I asked how long it would take, he said 2-3 hours. I almost laughed but just replied, good luck. Hopefully, they don't make any major mistakes using my car as their retrofit training vehicle. I'll provide an update when I get it back but I don't expect it any sooner than tomorrow.
I got my Model 3 back with the powered trunk retrofit installed. I dropped the car off at 11:00 am and they said it would be 2-3 hours which I didn't believe. I got the car back as soon as it was ready at 6:30 pm, so 7-1/2 hours total - not as long as I thought it might take given my car was the first this SC performed a trunk retrofit on.

Everything appears to be working properly including opening the trunk by hand and letting it automatically open fully, pushing the new button on the trunk to close it, and using both open/close commands on the in-car screen and in the app. There was only one issue that I found and that was the two trunk interior lights were not working. They took the car back in for 15 minutes and fixed the lights.

It is correct that the trunk does not open as much as it did before. It's not a problem for us since my wife drives this car and she is shorter. I have a before photo and will take an after photo from the same perspective tomorrow then post them both.

I got my Model 3 back with the powered trunk retrofit installed. I dropped the car off at 11:00 am and they said it would be 2-3 hours which I didn't believe. I got the car back as soon as it was ready at 6:30 pm, so 7-1/2 hours total - not as long as I thought it might take given my car was the first this SC performed a trunk retrofit on.

Everything appears to be working properly including opening the trunk by hand and letting it automatically open fully, pushing the new button on the trunk to close it, and using both open/close commands on the in-car screen and in the app. There was only one issue that I found and that was the two trunk interior lights were not working. They took the car back in for 15 minutes and fixed the lights.

It is correct that the trunk does not open as much as it did before. It's not a problem for us since my wife drives this car and she is shorter. I have a before photo and will take an after photo from the same perspective tomorrow then post them both.

It definitely is a full day job. The SC‘s do not realize it, probably because the shop book has it wrong (I assume). I’m sure the next retrofit at these SC will receive a more accurate estimate.

Even though the lower height places the trunk lid in my face, I would still do the retrofit if I was my DD.

Manually opening/closing trunk lids to me, are a sign of a cheap car.

Reactions: laiod

I took photos before and after the powered trunk retrofit to see how much the maximum trunk opening was reduced due to the retrofit. I also measured the height of the interior of the trunk with it fully open at about 64.5” and to the trunk latch at about 63.5”. The height to the exterior of the trunk (tip of the spoiler) measures about 75”.

Attachments

• 1 Before Retrofit.jpeg
    1 Before Retrofit.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 2 After Retrofit.jpeg
    2 After Retrofit.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 3 Height to Trunk Interior.jpeg
    3 Height to Trunk Interior.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 61
  • 4 Height to Trunk Exterior.jpeg
    4 Height to Trunk Exterior.jpeg
    582.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I had my appt to install the power trunk retrofit yesterday. I dropped the car in the morning as per the appt and the app said to pick it up late afternoon as it's all finished. So I went to pick it up - and nothing was done. They told me because of missing part. About 2 hours of my time yesterday wasted to drop the car off and then pick it up.
Now I have a new appt pending approval and with no date. Am wondering if it will be two months without anybody doing anything on it.
All of that didn't prevent Tesla from collecting my $800 about 3 weeks ago when I ordered.

I had my appt to install the power trunk retrofit yesterday. I dropped the car in the morning as per the appt and the app said to pick it up late afternoon as it's all finished. So I went to pick it up - and nothing was done. They told me because of missing part. About 2 hours of my time yesterday wasted to drop the car off and then pick it up.
Now I have a new appt pending approval and with no date. Am wondering if it will be two months without anybody doing anything on it.
All of that didn't prevent Tesla from collecting my $800 about 3 weeks ago when I ordered.
Sorry to hear about your negative experience. It is disappointing that Tesla doesn’t verify the part is actually in stock before they schedule and execute the retrofit appointment. That doesn’t seem like a difficult thing to do assuming they have good inventory control.

Although my retrofit went well, I was concerned when I first dropped off the car for the appointment and the service technician said, “Let me just verify that we have the parts in stock.” I was wondering why they couldn’t have done that before the appointment. Apparently, I was just lucky they had the parts in stock.

My retrofit appointment last Saturday went reasonably smoothly but definitely took much longer than the 4 hours that the service centre quoted me when they denied my request for a loaner. Ended up taking 8 hours but since I'd had benefit of the feedback from those of you who posted here, I wasn't taken by surprise and made my own arrangements to get home again so that I didn't have to wait around at the service centre.

Overall, very happy with the retrofit.

Any mention of availability for pre-2019? Some blogs said it was all cars that didn’t come with it, but Tesla shop shows 2019-20. Mine is Aug 2018.

Can’t figure how to thread search on mobile.
Tesla Model 3s built from their initial release until 2020 did not come with a powered trunk. Starting in 2021, Tesla included a powered trunk as stock in Model 3s. However, Tesla made a wire harness change from 2018 to 2019 and the powered trunk retrofit requires the newer (2019 and 2020) wire harness. I haven't heard Tesla making any comments about providing powered trunk retrofit for 2017 and 2018 Model 3s.

Tesla Model 3s built from their initial release until 2020 did not come with a powered trunk. Starting in 2021, Tesla included a powered trunk as stock in Model 3s. However, Tesla made a wire harness change from 2018 to 2019 and the powered trunk retrofit requires the newer (2019 and 2020) wire harness. I haven't heard Tesla making any comments about providing powered trunk retrofit for 2017 and 2018 Model 3s.
Yeah that's a real bummer for 2018s
I believe mine was made in October of 2018 model 3 performance so that's some BS would really love this retrofit

Thanks, appreciate the explanation. I thought Elon tweeted (X’ed?) it with no mention as to which years, but those are not guarantees.

I figured it was possible because aftermarket ones are available, but that makes sense. Maybe if they’re seeking margin while interest rates are still high they’ll include previous years.

Reactions: spsheridan
2018s and some 2019s have a different harness. At least of right now, its not available for 2018s. Several of us with 2018s ordered this as soon as it became available, which is what actually lead to tesla putting the year disclaimer out on their website after they told us "nope sorry no soup for you".