Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powered doors are a PITA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before my X, I couldn't imagine the convenience of auto-present. Now, I catch myself several times a week approaching the car with both hands full. Shazam, the door opens for me and shuts with a tap on the break with both hands still full. No, juggling, placing item on roof (and forgetting about it), or placing item in my mouth or under chin. Makes me smile every time. I can't tell you how appreciative I am of the technology.

There have been instances where the door opens too far and dinged my other car mirror. I have disabled since and not missing it.

But you still have powered doors, just not self-presenting ones. Two different things really. I really like the powered doors, but not the self-presenting function which I eventually disabled after nearly hitting people as I approached my car from the rear while parked next to another car while someone was getting in or out of their car at the same time. This happened twice and both times I managed to just grab at the door in time and that was more than enough. Also had the driver's door pop wide open into the road while I was stood opening the FWD for my kids to get in. I simply got fed up having to think about it every time I approached the car and now feel more relaxed knowing that the driver's door isn't going to pop open when I'm not ready for it!

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Auto doors is the reason i traded in a 16 month old model S and ate $15k in deprecation to buy a new model X.

Like others have said, the sensors have detected an obstacle. They do not want your door to slam into something or have the wind blow it into something. Its meant to protect your car. Humans can't be trusted

Reactions: spectrum
I love them. I've never used the handles to open the doors in my 7 months of ownership. Fob control of everything has spoiled me for other cars. Elon said a car like the Model X shouldn't be made again. Well, at least keep the motorized doors!