Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powering up the Princes Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we all know, the Princes Highway through East Gippsland is a wasteland for fast charging. Tesla has promised a Supercharger at Bairnsdale for years and the latest update pushes it forwards yet another quarter to Q1 2023.

So, we rely on other charging networks instead. I attended the AEVA Conference in Canberra last Friday and decided to take the scenic route back to Melbourne via Cooma and Cann River so that I could take a look at the sites recently added for a series of Evie CTR chargers at Cann River, Orbost and Bairnsdale. The progress was interesting. Before we get to that, it is worth noting that through efficient driving, I was able to drive my Tesla Model 3 Performance from Cooma (@ 100%) to the Port of Sale Evie charger arriving with 7% left, a distance of some 406km and the longest single run I have done, even with my Outback travels. The Port of Sale charger gave me a very solid 70kW, maybe peaking at 72kW for a while, making a very quick charge to get me to Moe.

All photos were taken on Saturday 6th August, 2022.

So, starting with Cann River. As has been discussed, the site is on Ward St, near the Skate Park. No progress is observed. I expect that the eventual location will be very close to this pole-mounted transformer, but who knows. That is my Model 3 in the background, note the aftermarket ROH wheels which I am sure impact my range slightly.
PXL_20220806_013553038.jpg

Moving on to Orbost, we have a much more promising scene in the Wolseley St Car Park, with trenching, foundations and protective bollards complete! Note the proximity to public toilets which Evie do so well. Tesla, take note! Also interesting is that this is at least a two stall, and that it looks like you could, when the carpark is not too full, pull a trailer through the near charger and charge without unhitching.
PXL_20220806_023435538.jpg

Finally, on to Bairnsdale, where the charger is supposed to be going into Nicholson St Carpark behind the McDonalds. Once again, no works were observed. There are a number of possible locations and the site is very well located to shops and services.

UPDATE: As per @RichardV comment below, you can see white bollards and protective fencing in front of a white van in the background that is likely the site of the charger. This will be nice and visible from the street!
PXL_20220806_034814528.jpg

So, there you go, an update on progress. It looks like Orbost will go in first, which will allow for a very manageable 239km to the NRMA 50kW charger at Bega, or even an also reasonable 313km to Narooma.

Last edited:
Plugshare for Bairnsdale has a photo of what looks like the site of the charger foundation and bollards. From your photo this appears to be in front of the white van. Did that not look likely on closer view?

I am not sure whether these are EVIE chargers. From the council minutes they appear to be Gippsland council sponsored chargers. Though Cann River also has an EVIE charger in its rollout plan. So there may or may not be some form a joint agreement here? Or there might be three different sets of chargers in the pipeline for Cann River; Council, EVIE and Tesla.

I am assuming you added your first two photos to plugshare. Thanks!, and thanks for the recon.

I did indeed add the progress photos to PlugShare.

I know that these are being built with the cooperation of the East Gippsland Council, but I am certain that they are Evie Networks since the council is not about to create a charging network. All of these towns are on the Evie rollout map after all. Is there any way to see on Plugshare who created a listing? I had been assuming that Evie did it, but it might have been someone from the Council or just an enthusiast like me.

I missed the works in front of the white van. You could well be right. I drove around the whole area but the van was in the way! Will update the original post.

I did indeed add the progress photos to PlugShare.

I know that these are being built with the cooperation of the East Gippsland Council, but I am certain that they are Evie Networks since the council is not about to create a charging network. All of these towns are on the Evie rollout map after all. Is there any way to see on Plugshare who created a listing? I had been assuming that Evie did it, but it might have been someone from the Council or just an enthusiast like me.

I missed the works in front of the white van. You could well be right. I drove around the whole area but the van was in the way! Will update the original post.
I added the PlugShare entries based on the Council information here,

There has been some discussion here previously on this forum. With different speculation as to whether these are the same as the EVIE sites,

Though from the wording about Council securing funding I think these will be Gippsland Council chargers. Billing, if at all, will be another question that is unsure. Always possible they will contract Chargefox to handle billing, have EVIE been contracted to handle any third party chargers? (question at large). So we may yet end up with EVIE, Tesla and Chargefox all on the same site at Cann River. And looking back at that thread again the same applies the Bairnsdale, with Council, EVIE and Tesla all in the mix.

Reactions: WoodWombat
Yes.

All the ActewAGL chargers are now billed through Evie.

There's also the "Charging The Regions" chargers which appear to be council-owned.
1659925355678.png

I guess I have been reading the site text and not looking at the pictures. I guess these are EVIE managed as part of charging the regions and probably the same as the EVIE sites announced? Thought the Omeo charger is not announced by as EVIE as one of their funded sites.

Thought the Omeo charger is not announced by as EVIE as one of their funded sites
I am just glad that East Gippsland Council has joined the party. I can't imagine that anyone other than Evie would do the billing and servicing for the Omeo charger, but I am definitely looking forward to driving up through there as soon as the charger is in place. Means that we can treat these as spirited drives rather than slow and steady. I have always liked that road, particularly north of Omeo to Tallangatta.

I hope it's not on Ward ST Cann River for people who need a charge in the school holidays. All that parking beside the playground is ICE packed throughout school holidays, especially Easter- witnessed over the past 25 years! better would be just around the corner on Monaro Hwy which has quieter parking spots especially in peak times.

I hope it's not on Ward ST Cann River for people who need a charge in the school holidays.
That is a worry. As far as I have seen from the planning, all of the chargers are coming to Ward St. Technically the charging spots will be dedicated, so hopefully this will prevent ICEing. Tesla chargers will likely be in a dedicated lot, as usual, so less likely to be affected as well.

That route is pretty busy during holidays, so I think that we can expect to queue. Still, at least the route will be open.

I hope it's not on Ward ST Cann River for people who need a charge in the school holidays. All that parking beside the playground is ICE packed throughout school holidays, especially Easter- witnessed over the past 25 years! better would be just around the corner on Monaro Hwy which has quieter parking spots especially in peak times.
If you look at the plug share photo and the latest satellite image and compare to streetview from a few years ago they appear to doubled the number of spots in Ward St from about 12 to 24. Plus a couple of extra spots against the park on the Princes Hwy. But being school holidays... will probably fill to available space.

Just an update to the great work on here.
For those looking to do the east Gippsland run on the Princes Hwy, between Bairnsdale and Eden/Bega…. Some good news. I spoke with East Gippsland Shire today, and although there has been a hold up recently, the Tesla superchargers in Cann River are about to become reality. They’ll be started in a couple of weeks, and should be completed in October. They’ve got to boost up the infrastructure there to allow for the V2 SC’s.

Just an update to the great work on here.
For those looking to do the east Gippsland run on the Princes Hwy, between Bairnsdale and Eden/Bega…. Some good news. I spoke with East Gippsland Shire today, and although there has been a hold up recently, the Tesla superchargers in Cann River are about to become reality. They’ll be started in a couple of weeks, and should be completed in October. They’ve got to boost up the infrastructure there to allow for the V2 SC’s.
Assuming that they are not going to magically complete Bairnsdale before then, this makes it look like they have decided to start including existing infrastructure in their plans to achieve maximum utility. Moe to Cann River is 310km, which is easy enough in an LR or P model Tesla, but stretching the friendship on an SR. An SR, however, can make it when hopping via Sale.

Personally I like the strategy. Anything that opens up routes faster. EV touring is great for advocacy.

Tesla owner: "Oh yeah, popped over to Mallacoota for the weekend"
ICE Colleague: "In the Tesla? OMG WTF?"
Tesla owner: "Sure, it was easy, chargers everywhere you need them."
ICE Colleague: "Wow <pulls out phone> just put a deposit down on a new Model S Plaid. Woot!"
.... and SCENE

Ha, just had this same conversation on the Cann River SC thread yesterday!

The speculated/rumoured Bairnsdale site doesn't appear to be council land (it's been described as "McDonalds car park" but it's not clear if it's private land or not - at least not to a non-local) - if it is private then it could be at a similar stage, since a public notice by the council then wouldn't be necessary.

Ha, just had this same conversation on the Cann River SC thread yesterday!

The speculated/rumoured Bairnsdale site doesn't appear to be council land (it's been described as "McDonalds car park" but it's not clear if it's private land or not - at least not to a non-local) - if it is private then it could be at a similar stage, since a public notice by the council then wouldn't be necessary.
The "McDonalds car park" is shared with the visitor information centre and Subway. I think it would be a fair bet this is all council car park. The council charger that appears to have begun construction, courtesy of plugshare photos, is in the 'same' carpark but further toward Nicholson Street entrance rather than the Main Street entrance of McDonalds.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
The "McDonalds car park" is shared with the visitor information centre and Subway. I think it would be a fair bet this is all council car park. The council charger that appears to have begun construction, courtesy of plugshare photos, is in the 'same' carpark but further toward Nicholson Street entrance rather than the Main Street entrance of McDonalds.
I am all for these clusters of EV chargers in small towns to be honest. It helps with overflow for Tesla people or redundancy in case of damage, and will eventually do the same for others once the network opens up. It also shows the superiority of the Supercharger system with multiple stalls right in front of non-Tesla EV owners, leading to more Tesla sales.