Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powering up the Princes Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone on plugshare claims the council has advised them (in response to a query) that Orbost and Cann River chargers are due to be finished mid-September. Any locals seen evidence of progress to that extent?
I will be driving past there late September again if we don't get any further update before then. I can't see how Cann River can be ready to go so soon since there were no groundworks when I went past last. Orbost I would believe though.

Reactions: MagicalseT
From
> External electric vehicle charging providers, including Tesla, will also be augmenting the network in the coming months.

This would seem to indicate that on top of the 7 council chargers and Tesla that there is at least one other provider of chargers to East Gippsland area. So it sounds like the Evie chargers are likely in addition to the 7 council chargers.

Also,
"will see a 50kw fast charger installed in the following towns in the coming weeks:
  • BAIRNSDALE: 101-121 Nicholson St carpark
  • OMEO: Tongio Rd
  • ORBOST: 5 Wolseley St carpark
  • CANN RIVER: Ward St"
So "in the coming weeks"

Reactions: Stratman
Also some location maps.
(Which also show what I assume are 3 spots for Tesla Cann River - marked as Private)

And a similar reference to dates
Stage 1 of EV charging: Omeo, Orbost, Cann River & Bairnsdale - October 2022
Stage 2 of EV charging: Mallacoota, Buchan and Lakes Entrance - June 2023

7a0465a255525c87feb083ce59fe8692_orbost_carparks.jpg

a92a643881a2d4cf2d365aaaf68b5518_Tongio_Road_Omeo_EV_charger_picture.jpg

8d8ea1351ab3e1bb8d5f167348313594_Cann_River_Ward_St_options.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and cafz
There is quite a bit of overlap with these announcements... I attempted to make sense of it in this post:

From
> External electric vehicle charging providers, including Tesla, will also be augmenting the network in the coming months.

This would seem to indicate that on top of the 7 council chargers and Tesla that there is at least one other provider of chargers to East Gippsland area. So it sounds like the Evie chargers are likely in addition to the 7 council chargers.

Also,
"will see a 50kw fast charger installed in the following towns in the coming weeks:
So "in the coming weeks". As far as I recall, it was that phrase when “Chuq” mentioned it in May.
Same news, “coming soon”.
From

Also,
So "in the coming weeks"

Also some location maps.
(Which also show what I assume are 3 spots for Tesla Cann River - marked as Private)

And a similar reference to dates
Stage 1 of EV charging: Omeo, Orbost, Cann River & Bairnsdale - October 2022
Stage 2 of EV charging: Mallacoota, Buchan and Lakes Entrance - June 2023
I was in Buchan on Friday having driven from Jindabyne on my way to Sale. Was managing power carefully in my M3P, although possibly did not have to. Being able to chuck a bit of juice in while I was eating at the hotel there would have been a great comfort and would also open the route to SR vehicles.

If Omeo truly opens up as well, stage 1 will open up a loop from Melbourne via the Ovens Supercharger over Hotham to Omeo, and then up to Tallangatta via Mitta Mitta (a very fun road), or up to NSW via Corryong, or back to Melbourne via Bairnsdale. I can see some excellent day and weekend trips for small groups of Teslas coming up.

CannRiver.jpg

More interesting an current photo at Cann River.

And more information from an updated East Gippsland Council page:
"The first electric vehicle charging station for East Gippsland Shire Council was installed on 28 September 2022 in the Wolseley Street carpark in Orbost. (NOTE: it is not yet commissioned and the AusNet electrical site upgrade is still to occur)."

And a few more photos at: