TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Powertrain Error 287

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by kg6fnk, Mar 10, 2013.

1. kg6fnk

kg6fnk New Member

I just got a Powertrain Problem ID: 287 and called roadside assistance. Tesla is going to set something up to look at it.

In the mean time, they said that I could drive the car but that it might stop suddenly. The tech was sure about the level of risk of this and I expect that I'm going to get more information in the coming days. Has anyone had a Powertrain error 287 before? What did it turn out to be?

They said that it has something to do with the IOS APS REM but I get lost in the acronyms and I haven't found them online in the forum. I think that:
    APS = Auxiliary Power System i.e. the 12v system

I am Guessing:
    IOS I??? O??? System
    REM R??? E???(energy maybe?) Module

Anyone know what IOS or REM really stand for in Tesla parlance. After working for the government for years I'm so done with TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms). I think that I have RAS Syndrome (Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome).

-ben

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

voltage (outlet) = ??

3. kg6fnk

kg6fnk New Member

I figured out the problem. Evidently the 1.5 like I have uses the motor housing as an inductor or something and to make sure that it doesn't electrocute you it makes sure that there isn't a conductive path between that and the shield for the motor.

Well anyway, I had just gotten back from driving somewhere on one of our warmest days and all the huge piles of snow around here were melting and turning the entry to the parking lot into a lake. After having driven through this and having picked up a bunch of mud splatters on my car I hosed it off. So probably I squirted in the back wheels and created a nice conductive path between the shield and the motor mount. I just needed to drive down the road a bit and dry things out. Then things returned back to normal.

So lesson learned, error 287 means that there is a conductive path between the motor and the motor shield and in extreme conditions this can be caused by deep puddles and a garden hose.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Good work and thanks for posting.

5. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

Not to doubt your reasoning deductions, but, what did service center say?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Just got my Roadster back from having the rear bushings replaced. Went to charge it for the first time since the repair and got the "Powertrain Problem Service required" message with ID: 287. Just to be sure I tried a second charger with the same faulting result.

Well at least the squeaking seems to have gone away.

7. Sparrow

It appears that the issue was condensation in the heater box. When it was dried out the charging worked fine. Of course now my car has decided that the tire pressure monitoring system is not working and throwing a fault for that. When I check the tire pressure readings all tires are reporting in with values that appear correct.

8. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Sparrow, sorry to hear of your troubles. I can't remember if you have a 1.5 but if you do when the humidity is high you might need a short drive to heat up the motor which is used as an inductor when charging. As for the rear bushing I had to replace mine a few years back. I hated the squeaks on an otherwise quiet car.

9. Sparrow

dhrivnak, I do have a 1.5. I think the moisture problem occurred when the service center washed the car after replacing the bushings. I did drive the car 10 miles home after the wash, but my car was set to charge the following morning in my garage and that is when the charging failed. As this was the first time I experienced this issue in 6 years of ownership, it was quite a surprise. Lesson learned.

The bushings not only got rid of the squeaks, it seems to drive better too. Might be my imagination, but it just feels stiffer, less sloppy.