Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Karma,

Any concern about installing the PW2 outdoor? With our Florida humidity, strong summer sun, and annoying gecko that poop everywhere, will the PW2 wear out faster, cosmetically etc? What about when the hurricane come, would the PW2 be able to handle large amount of water splash from hurricane rain?

Steve 1081, looks like you're getting the same answer as I do: 3-5 more months to way. My solar installer (Urban Solar Group) said Tesla is dragging to get things going, my solar installer has already certified to install the PW2, right now just waiting for availability of PW2 and when Tesla will go through their wait list to notify people to pay the balance of the PW2. Hopefully we will get ours before this hurricane season.

Karma,

Thanks for the info. I have less SF than you but only 1 AC unit; so, less flexibility to conserve in the event of power loss. Somehow I use an average of 97kwh per day... I have no idea why it is so high because the house has a metal roof, good insulation, impact windows and was built in 2008. I do have a pool pump and 10 year old builder grade AC that I am planning to place with a 20+ SEER unit soon which should help quite a bit. I also commute 80 miles a day in the model S so that is good for maybe 17-20kw per day (averaging out weekends) of my power usage.

I'm planning to go as large as my southern exposure (back yard) roof will allow with the solar I'm undecided on the powerwall. The way net metering works with FPL the only reason to get a powerwall at all is for backup. I could probably get by with 1-2 without accounting for charging the car. I do have a supercharger about 10 minutes from my house so I could always use that in the event of an outage (assuming it has power).

My ideal setup would be 1 powerwall with a small generator running on natural gas to supplement the powerwall / solar in the event of an outage. I think that would be the cheapest solution that has redundancy. But currently powerwall does not support charging from a generator.

But, If it is all 30% tax deductible I might as well go all out on the powerwalls! Decisions....

Karma,

Any concern about installing the PW2 outdoor? With our Florida humidity, strong summer sun, and annoying gecko that poop everywhere, will the PW2 wear out faster, cosmetically etc? What about when the hurricane come, would the PW2 be able to handle large amount of water splash from hurricane rain?
PW2's can be submerged in up to 2 feet of water. They are in a sealed cased. Mine are mounted off the ground, and we have a pretty good roof overhang. I'm not concerned with them being outside. It was generally thought of as the best place by the 3 electricians who did that part of the installation. Plus, left more room in the garage.

Reactions: kc_moses
Steve - the driving factor for me in getting the power wall was being able to continue to generate through the PV panels during an outage. You'll want to confirm with FPL that you can do this without a PW2 or battery equivalent. What you've mentioned is contrary to my understanding. What's the point of being autonomous, if you have to shut it down at the one time you really need it (storm event)??

Regarding the pool: get a variable speed/variable flow pump. It'll pay for itself in about a year in reduced electric costs. Check out www.energystar.gov

Steve - the driving factor for me in getting the power wall was being able to continue to generate through the PV panels during an outage. You'll want to confirm with FPL that you can do this without a PW2 or battery equivalent. What you've mentioned is contrary to my understanding. What's the point of being autonomous, if you have to shut it down at the one time you really need it (storm event)??

You are correct. What I was saying is that assuming the grid is up the powerwall serves no purpose with the way FPL does net metering (since I do not believe you can combine net metering with time of use). It would be cheaper to than a powerwall to just get a backup generator for outages. But I agree with you that it seems silly to have solar and not be able to use it if the grid goes down. Plus a generator is loud, dirty and more maintenance.

KC moses,

I may check out Urban Solar. Do you already have your solar installed?

They are the first solar company I have found that lists the owners and managers on the website by name. I hate when companies don't do that. It makes it seem like they are hiding...

Steve1081, yes I already have my solar PV and hot water install since June 2017. The solar hot water is over kill for my usage, which to the sales person's credit, he tried to talk me out of not getting the solar hot water. I do have to say, when hurricane Irma hit and when my power went out for 5 days, I have hot water to shower. I'm still trying to learn which months the PV perform best since I'm new to the Florida weather season.

You are correct. What I was saying is that assuming the grid is up the powerwall serves no purpose with the way FPL does net metering (since I do not believe you can combine net metering with time of use). It would be cheaper to than a powerwall to just get a backup generator for outages. But I agree with you that it seems silly to have solar and not be able to use it if the grid goes down. Plus a generator is loud, dirty and more maintenance.

Steve, when you talk to Urban Solar Group, you can confirm as they have a lot of FPL customer. I have Lake Worth utility, as far as I know, when the grid goes down, my PW2 will still work, any excess energy will not go back to the grid. I think a gas generator would be more hassle to deal with. I don't have natural gas in my area, only have propane. The only non PW2 option is those portable gas generator, which in the even of hurricane, getting gas from the gas station is a pain. Storing and maintaining gas generator is not something I would want to deal with. I do keep a portable a/c unit. In the even of lost electricity, I don't plan on running the central a/c. The portable a/c would just be use to cool the bed room or get rid of humidity, so 1 PW2 should be sufficient to do that and keep the fridge running. I'm wondering if you need 2 PW at all.

We had our installation on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week in Pinellas County, Florida. 16.9 kWh with 2 PW2. It was scheduled for both days, however Tesla sent an amazing crew: 7 guys to install the pv panels on the roof, main electrician and 2 additional electricians to help with installing the conduit and brackets for the PW2's. Initially the batteries were to go inside the garage, but there was better space on an exterior wall. They worked hard and finished the installation of the panels in 1 day, with the main electrician the only person returning on Wednesday to finish the system test.

I seriously can't say enough good things about these guys. They were not the typical "roofer" or electrician. All had relocated with SC/Tesla from the northeast. High level of attention to detail and safety.

Now the wait for Duke to instal the net-meter.View attachment 283730View attachment 283731

Hi Karma,
I too am in pinellas and would like to do exactly as you have done. Who did you contact for the install? Was it all done through the Tesla website? Many thanks, looks awesome!
Aitch

Well, my design phase has been interesting. FPL keeps claiming the system will overproduce, so I'm down to 7 kw on the roof. That's fine for now, but not so great when I get my MX. As expected, SolarCity just called and has changed their story from "Powerwalls are available" to "6 month wait on the Powerwall".

-D...

Well, my design phase has been interesting. FPL keeps claiming the system will overproduce, so I'm down to 7 kw on the roof. That's fine for now, but not so great when I get my MX. As expected, SolarCity just called and has changed their story from "Powerwalls are available" to "6 month wait on the Powerwall".

-D...
Does FPL allow you to consider new electric cars or to go a certain percentage over your historical usage? We've purchased two EVs in the past year which aren't reflected in our historical usage yet. We can add up to 250 kWh/month for the first car and are waiting to hear if we can go to the 120% limit. Right now, we're looking at about a 15 kW system and know it won't be enough to cover all of our usage.

BTW, we also heard recently that Powerwalls are being delayed. That's a bummer because we started the whole solar/Powerwall process back in January when they told us they'd be building our Powerwalls in March. :(

Does FPL allow you to consider new electric cars or to go a certain percentage over your historical usage?

I don't think they do. I'm not in direct contact with them, but SolarCity is and _should_ be aware of my future needs as I've been pretty emphatic with my sales rep about not feeling that the allowed production won't meet our future needs.

Now that you bring it up, it's probably worth a phone call to verify, thanks!

-D...

I think everyone need to be realistic about the wait time for the PowerWall 2. It's unrealistic to expect that the Powerwall 2 will be available to you if you just put in your order 6 months ago. Like I mentioned, I put in my PW2 reservation Feb of 2017, and the Tesla employee in Vegas told me it should take another 3-5 months for South Florida market when he left me a voice mail early last month.

I almost buy a 2000w Gas generator last weekend as I saw it on sales for less than $300. I'm not sure if I want to go through another hurricane season without power! Meanwhile, I'm going to file my Tax, I'm going to submit the $500 PW2 reservation to claim for Tax, let's see what the CPA say.

I think everyone need to be realistic about the wait time for the PowerWall 2. It's unrealistic to expect that the Powerwall 2 will be available to you if you just put in your order 6 months ago. Like I mentioned, I put in my PW2 reservation Feb of 2017, and the Tesla employee in Vegas told me it should take another 3-5 months for South Florida market when he left me a voice mail early last month.

Agreed. I wish mostly that the SolarCity reps would be realistic. What she initially told me was "yup, we had an availability problem, but that's all sorted now." and then, now that I'm committed is all "hey, it's gonna be about 6 months, so can we split the orders?"

-D...

Well, my design phase has been interesting. FPL keeps claiming the system will overproduce, so I'm down to 7 kw on the roof. That's fine for now, but not so great when I get my MX. As expected,

Sorry for the dual post, but FPL just got back to me and approved a larger system than SolarCity originally had spec'd out! 11.65 KW vs 9.45 KW.

Really happy with the response from FPL. I wrote their NetMetering shared email box and they got back to me within one business day. After some of the horror stories I read about utility companies wrt solar, I was surprised it was that easy.