Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 installation location questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m nearing the end of a loooonnngggg battery install (to an existing 10kw solar system). I have 2 PW2s. My installer has already mounted the batteries on an outside stucco wall of my house. The latest crew leader told me that he didn’t think I would pass inspection because the batteries are too close to each other (10 inches) and too close to a window (about a foot). The window is a picture window (does not open) if that makes any difference. I don’t have enough space to get 3’ of clearance from each other and the window. Is this a hard and fast rule? If so, I may be forced to remove and fill in the window.

My understanding is the non-operable window shouldn't be an issue. I also understand that if the batteries are certified under UL 9540 then they can be closer than 3 feet. I was reading the Enphase guide on this to advice a friend on possible locations for their Enphase batteries. The current versions of the Enphase batteries are allowed within 6" of each other. So if the Powerwalls meet the same standard you would be fine on the space. If I'm right on the windows then you're good.

Remember, I'm just a random dude on internet.

Last edited:
I’m nearing the end of a loooonnngggg battery install (to an existing 10kw solar system). I have 2 PW2s. My installer has already mounted the batteries on an outside stucco wall of my house. The latest crew leader told me that he didn’t think I would pass inspection because the batteries are too close to each other (10 inches) and too close to a window (about a foot). The window is a picture window (does not open) if that makes any difference. I don’t have enough space to get 3’ of clearance from each other and the window. Is this a hard and fast rule? If so, I may be forced to remove and fill in the window.
For what it is worth my 2 powerwalls are approx 9 1/4 inches apart. This is Sonoma county in CA.

There are definitely people here who know this stuff way better than I do. With that being said, I "think" we have moved to the 2020 version of the electrical code, and that version may have slighly different rules that many of us got installed under. I dont have the answer to the OPs question though. perhaps @Vines or @wwhitney may know?

I’m in Ventura county if it makes a difference (SCE).
What matters is which agency approves your permits. There are localities that have their own view of the world, and rules to match. There are several threads on the subject, e.g.
And

All the best,

BG

The rule that restricts powerwall locations to 3' from doors and windows leading into the dwelling unit (not garage) came into effect Jan 1 2023. Somem jurisdictions adopted it early, though not sure about simi valley. It depends who your fire jurisdiction is. If it's LA county Fire I hear you might have issues.

Whether a window opens or not has no bearing on this question.

Maybe this helps (from the county’s website):

“The current edition of the Ventura County Building Code is the 2019 edition, which will remain in effect through December 31, 2022. For permit applications submitted after December 31, 2022, the applicable Code is the 2022 VCBC.”

I am pretty certain that my permit was submitted well before 2023. However I don’t know if the above applies in this particular case.

My Powerwalls were installed in Los Angeles County. They did not pass inspection because one was too close to garage vent. Apparently it makes no difference if it's garage or living area.
Rough, just be sure to ask the inspector for a code citation. There is no restriction in the code with regard to other openings besides doors and windows leading directly into the dwelling unit.

FYI there was a recent OSFM clarification with regard to other kinds of openings, but this has been withdrawn, so if this was the basis for the rejection the fire officials should be made aware of this.

Also LA county fire is among the most if not the most strict fire jurisdiction in California.

My county inspector didn't give my powerwalls more than a cursory glance. He looked inside my panel and the gateway. That's it. He was more interested in separate grounds and neutrals. My four powerwalls are installed inside a garage, 2 pancaked sets, maybe a foot apart.

My utility inspector just had me pull the 'off' switch, place it in 'off-grid' mode, and he was happy.

Rough, just be sure to ask the inspector for a code citation. There is no restriction in the code with regard to other openings besides doors and windows leading directly into the dwelling unit.

FYI there was a recent OSFM clarification with regard to other kinds of openings, but this has been withdrawn, so if this was the basis for the rejection the fire officials should be made aware of this.

Also LA county fire is among the most if not the most strict fire jurisdiction in California.
Yes, no surprise on strict. Sometimes things are just over done in the name of safety. But they did end up covering the vent and fire inspector passed it. I may have a chance to run that by a fire fighter in the near future. Thanks.

To maintain Tesla warranty batteries must be a minimum 12 inches apart when placed side by side. They must be 6 inches from a wall. This is according to the manual.

Attachments

• Minimum Clearance Powerwall.JPG
    Minimum Clearance Powerwall.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Disagree
Reactions: Vines
To maintain Tesla warranty batteries must be a minimum 12 inches apart when placed side by side. They must be 6 inches from a wall. This is according to the manual.
Check those numbers again, I think you mean there is 12" required ABOVE them when placed side by side. 10" BETWEEN Powerwalls is the correct dimension per the image you show.

Also, the 6" dimension you mention is only from the right side opening of the single powerwall, you can place them as close as 2" from the left wall, though they become extremely difficult to wire.

Reactions: BGbreeder