Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit late to the game on this, but still looking to see if the numbers work out for me.

I got two quotes from Swell Energy, and they seem high to me:
1 Powerwall:
Gross System Cost: $12,628.00
Estimated Rebates**: $4,935.00
Estimated Federal Tax Credit**: $3,788.40
Net Price After Estimated Incentives**: $3,904.60

2 Powerwalls:
Gross System Cost: $20,215.00
Estimated Rebates**: $9,870.00
Estimated Federal Tax Credit**: $6,064.50
Net Price After Estimated Incentives**: $4,280.50

The one thing that he said that sounded like BS to me was that "Tesla / SolarCity is not taking any installs unless you are one of their solar customers. They just don't have time for retrofits right now."

Anyone else heard something similar? Are the above prices high (they seem to be for me)?

Any other companies I should get quotes from for the San Diego area?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

EDIT - I have a 12kWh solar system on NEM 2.0. Is it even worth the bother to put a battery backup on a system this large? Right now, we have surplus generation (but we will be installing a pool in the next year or so).

Bit late to the game on this, but still looking to see if the numbers work out for me.

1 Powerwall:

2 Powerwalls:

The one thing that he said that sounded like BS to me was that "Tesla / SolarCity is not taking any installs unless you are one of their solar customers. They just don't have time for retrofits right now."

Anyone else heard something similar? Are the above prices high (they seem to be for me)?

EDIT - I have a 12kWh solar system on NEM 2.0. Is it even worth the bother to put a battery backup on a system this large? Right now, we have surplus generation (but we will be installing a pool in the next year or so).
Even if you're not generating any surplus the peak shifting and backup capability may be worth it to you. It would for me.

1 Powerwall:

2 Powerwalls:

Yes, that is BS regarding the "not taking installs if your not a Solar City customer". I am not a Solar City customer and there is nothing for them to retrofit, unless somehow the existing system is micky moused together or something?? They had no problems working with my existing solar system...in reality, they aren't doing anything with it other than redirecting the lines to the PW breaker box, etc.

On a side note, the $12,628 figure seems very very high. Are they doing any custom/extra work for your set up? I didn't need anything other than the PW equipment (no retrofitting, etc) and my PW installed was $7,200.

And side side note - I may have skipped over this, but where is the info on the federal tax credits? I wasn't sure if these PW qualified or not.....I skimmed through the tax forms but didn't see anything that quite fit this type of set up. Again, I am probably looking in the wrong place or something.

-adrian

Has anyone heard of any installations taking place recently? It seems there were a couple of single powerwall installs a while ago but nothing since.

Mine is being installed on Thursday, will try to post pics. FWIW, I was told mine is one of the first 100 installs, so they aren't getting installed that quickly around the U.S yet.

For me:

4/10/17 - Order placed in store
4/11/17 - Site Survey Scheduled
4/20/17 - Site Survey at home
4/27/17 - Docs signed (I think it showed up in the app the same day or shortly thereafter, but you can't do anything with it of course)
5/25/17 - Install scheduled
6/1/17 - Install day

April 9: Order placed online
April 10: Call about site survey
April 10: Provided pictures and docs for a self-site survey
April 11: Told I should get a response in 1 to 2 weeks
April 13: I ask what I should do while I wait, I'm told concierge will contact me
April 19: I contact them again because I haven't heard from the concierge
April 26: Over 2 weeks still no design
April 28: Start phone tags with "concierge"
May 1: Contract received, signed returned the same day
May 3: Told my SGIP rebate reservation is being generated
May 4: Told I will be tier 2
May 7: Asking questions about cost reductions, it appears they will do everything in their power to prevent you from talking to a "engineer", still haven't received answers to those questions.
May 8: Told they are in a holding pattern.
May 26: SGIP tier application received, signed and return
May 30: Now hearing that they need to add 3rd Powerwall because of the size of the PV system. I told them how much solar I had from the beginning. Told to write my questions down (again) and they will be sent along to an engineer.

I never checked "My Tesla" for the status of things. I just logged in for the first time tonight

Single for now just for backup of certain circuits. May add a second down the road after I test run time of the essential circuits.

Just a heads up.....when they are mounting the battery on the wall, make sure you let them know that you may want to add a second unit later. This may help with a bit less headaches later on.

They mounted mine in a spot which would require moving and rerouting of the piping to accommodate 2 units. Not a huge deal, but this was noted with the project manager when we discussed some "lessons learned" after my install.

Good luck!
adrian