Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wait list may have just gotten a lot longer. Australia is going to get all of them.
Tesla battery boss: We can solve SA's power woes in 100 days
IMG_1040.PNG

Reactions: Falkirk
First an aside: It would be really nice to move this conversation off to a separate appropriately titled thread (I'm not sure what this has to do with the Powerwall 2 waiting list :)

Many months ago, I asked for "Tesla Energy" to be broken up into "Solar Roof", "Solar Panel", "PowerWall" and "PowerPack", but the forum admins never did, so in order to avoid cluttering up the "Tesla Energy" section, I originally kept all PowerWall related discussion under the only thread that had it at the time.

I welcome forum admins making sections and/or threads appropriate to whatever type of organization they want and moving all the related messages for that discussion into those threads.

For instance, in this thread, we have discussed many topics, including but not limited to:
  • Waiting list
  • SGIP welfare system in California
  • Various installers for PowerWall
  • SolarCity
  • Installation details
  • Installation scheduling
  • Installation photos
  • User interface
  • Scripting
  • User experience
  • Operation
  • Ordering, and considerations for ordering
  • Provisioning
  • Behaviors
  • SolarEdge
That would get very cluttered up if it were also intermixed with Solar Panels and Solar Roof posts all under the Tesla Energy forum, and be horribly confusing. But I leave those decisions to the forum admins.

Reactions: Big Earl and Kren
First an aside: It would be really nice to move this conversation off to a separate appropriately titled thread (I'm not sure what this has to do with the Powerwall 2 waiting list :)

Here is my simple suggestion to whomever can help. First, all the most important info on Powerwall 2 is in this thread. But it is "only" 36 pages (compare that to popular Model S threads). I gather moderators have more important fires to put out. In the meantime, my idea is to ask if @ohmman is willing to edit the title of this thread to something like "Powerwall 2: Ordering, Installation, and Operation"? It would still start with him on the waiting list and go on from there in nice historical order. Nothing else would need to change for now until it gets bigger and then these items could be broken out. What do you think?

Here is my simple suggestion to whomever can help. First, all the most important info on Powerwall 2 is in this thread. But it is "only" 36 pages (compare that to popular Model S threads). I gather moderators have more important fires to put out. In the meantime, my idea is to ask if @ohmman is willing to edit the title of this thread to something like "Powerwall 2: Ordering, Installation, and Operation"? It would still start with him on the waiting list and go on from there in nice historical order. Nothing else would need to change for now until it gets bigger and then these items could be broken out. What do you think?
I do not have moderation permissions in this sub forum. I used the report button to recommend splitting this into a few different threads. I also cannot change my title because it has been too long since the thread has been created. If it doesn't get split, I will reach out directly to the moderator of Tesla Energy and discuss.

Reactions: Musterion
I do not have moderation permissions in this sub forum. I used the report button to recommend splitting this into a few different threads. I also cannot change my title because it has been too long since the thread has been created. If it doesn't get split, I will reach out directly to the moderator of Tesla Energy and discuss.
I'm sorry it grew like this. I'd be in favor of it being split up into a handful of threads at the pleasure of the moderators.

New firmware version! I'm not sure when, but I checked after this suspicious behavior this morning. I want to know if this is true and if PowerWall system waits before the upgrade to make sure utility is connected and reliable.

Here's my first observation which made me hunt for reasons:
View attachment 249148
The behavior when the PowerWall is busy showed up; my gnuplot makes a continuous line for all points, so those straight lines represent no samples, something that is common when the PowerWall is busy, such as switching to backup or other events like that, and perhaps software functions, perhaps such as firmware changes. I think that's likely, because I checked the software version, and it appears upgraded. Note that they picked a decent time to do it, but I would have done 3AM personally.
View attachment 249147

P.S., here's what it looks like in the app; it's a spike when you isolate the sources:
View attachment 249151 View attachment 249152
If my theory is correct, many PowerWall apps should be showing this ~today, but I think only for those who use PowerWall for night power, rather than using it just for backup or arbitrage from cheap nights to expensive days, except in the arbitrage case, if it was still charging, I'd expect a charging lapse dip showing as an inverse spike to happen as well (similar to my battery use app screenshot).

mod note: I've received permissions to Tesla Energy and am in the process of cleaning things up. It's going to take a few days. I'm doing my best to split off separate topics from this thread and others into their own threads, but it's not simple. Many times posts will incorporate numerous topics and quote other posts that I'd like to move. It's complicated. I'll do my best and sorry if things get a little mixed up for a bit. I'm starting by getting SGIP out of here and will then move to splitting off specific members' installation reports and details.

Now that this thread has undergone major weight loss surgery, I have a question that actually seems relevant here. :)

For those of you who used Tesla as your Powerwall 2 installer, how long did you wait from order confirmation (the signing of an actual contract, which comes after system design and before permitting) to installation? Trying to get a sense of how likely an installation in 2017 would be. I understand that there's uncertainty due to Puerto Rico needs, etc.

Now that this thread has undergone major weight loss surgery, I have a question that actually seems relevant here. :)

For those of you who used Tesla as your Powerwall 2 installer, how long did you wait from order confirmation (the signing of an actual contract, which comes after system design and before permitting) to installation? Trying to get a sense of how likely an installation in 2017 would be. I understand that there's uncertainty due to Puerto Rico needs, etc.

For me it was like this

November 14, 2016 - Placed Deposit for Quantity 1 Powerwall 2
Early April, 2016 - Received a call to scheduled my on-site picture and measurement session
April 27, 2017 - Tesla technician came onsite to take pictures of all my panels, meters, and entire garage with full measurements.
May 8, 2017 - Using Docusign, I received my quote for my system, including diagrams on where they have to install the Powerwall based on code, along with a much of legal stuff.
May 25, 2017 - I signed all the Docusigns after going back and forth asking clarification on a few of the items.
May 30, 2017 - I received another Docusign from the SGIP Incentive team asking me to provide details so they can complete my SGIP application on my behalf. Completed their questionnaire, including 4 or 5 PG&E bills and something else I can't remember right now
June 6, 2017 - Received email from PG&E/SGIP stating that "You've received a conditional rebate confirmation for Step 2 of the SGIP rebate program for your Powerwall".
July 29, 2017 - Received a call from Tesla stating that my area (I'm guessing my Zip Code) now has Interconnect Licenses from PG&E so we can pick an install date. I picked the 1st date in the system which was Sept 13, 2017 with a walk-through inspection with the master electrician on Sept 11, 2017.
Sept 11, 2017 - Master Electrician came onsite to talk about the install, review the location of the install, review all of the panels, and took notes. This took about 2 hours in total
Sept 13, 2017 - Two electrician came on site and start the install. Work stared around 9am and completed around 4pm. Installation could not be completed because the Powerwall/Gateway could not be provisioned. My Wireless Wifi unit had an additional security service turned on which prevent communication to the NOC.
Sept 14, 2017 - Another electrician came onsite to complete the installation as soon as I discovered the security service was blocking connections to the Tesla NOC and I had it turned off. Everything was provisioned correctly.
Sept 15, 2017 - I received one more Docusign from Tesla which contains the PG&E Interconnect Licenses that I need to review, sign and send back which I did.
Sept 22, 2017 - Alameda county inspection was scheduled for the early afternoon. Tesla electricians came back onsite because they forgot they needed to put a Nerio monitoring device around my 60amp breaker for my Tesla Wall Connector so when in use it's energy usage would appear under the HOME category in the Tesla App. Inspection by Alameda County completed without issue around noon.
Oct 10, 2017 - I received an email from PG&E with the following "Thank you for submitting an Interconnection Request Non-Export License...".

I think I should be complete now, and just waiting for my $9280 from SGIP hopefully before December 31, but who really knows. I think after the PG&E Interconnect Licenses email, there should not be anything else that is needed. Now I just wait

My setup is for Whole Home Backup, and my purpose of purchasing Quantity 2 Powerwall (deposit was for just one) is to take advantage of EVA Rate Plan's Time of Use pricing between 11pm and 7am, so I want to do Time of Use Load Shifting. While the current PowerwallOS 1.6.0 does not yet support it, I'm doing it manually each night by flipping breakers at 11pm and again at 7am. I have logged over 431 hours in Battery Backup mode to date (see attached image).

Note: Tesla is pretty sure that PowerwallOS 2.0 should arrive by end of year with support for Time of Use Load Shifting in the Tesla iOS app, so I don't have to flip breaker manually.

Note: I live not too far from the Fremont factory, so everyone that assisted me from day 1 to project competition was a Tesla/SolarCity employee. No subcontractors or authorized Tesla installers were used or every contacted me.

Note: My entire house (including my 5 ton AC unit) is running on my two Powerwall (the 60amp Tesla Wall Connector is not of course). My Powerwall and my Model S/Model X charge at night between the hours of 11pm and 7am.

Note: My house is around 2300 sqft, and I average around 14kwh per day (without the AC of course), so I went with two Powerwall 2. I may consider a 3rd one if my AC usage increases beyond 2 to 3 times per year for when we get over 95+ degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_4006.PNG
    IMG_4006.PNG
    270 KB · Views: 57
Does Tesla provide any numbers on Powerwall production similar to the numbers it reports on cars?

I placed a deposit for 3 Powerwalls last month. After a month of hearing literally nothing, I called to get a status report.

I had hoped that I could get these shipped and installed by my solar contractor, but Tesla wants to use their own people. The problem is that Tesla has NO people in my area. And my solar contractor is from Dallas, where Tesla does have people, so they aren’t Tesla certified. Tesla tells me they will have somebody by around April 2018.

When I asked if the wait until April was due to a backlog of orders, or due to not having a crew to install in my area, they said ‘both’. I was actually wanting to know the rate limiting step, but they simply wouldn’t tell me.

So, can anyone here say exactly how long the order backlog is?

Does Tesla provide any numbers on Powerwall production similar to the numbers it reports on cars?

I placed a deposit for 3 Powerwalls last month. After a month of hearing literally nothing, I called to get a status report.

I had hoped that I could get these shipped and installed by my solar contractor, but Tesla wants to use their own people. The problem is that Tesla has NO people in my area. And my solar contractor is from Dallas, where Tesla does have people, so they aren’t Tesla certified. Tesla tells me they will have somebody by around April 2018.

When I asked if the wait until April was due to a backlog of orders, or due to not having a crew to install in my area, they said ‘both’. I was actually wanting to know the rate limiting step, but they simply wouldn’t tell me.

So, can anyone here say exactly how long the order backlog is?

In addition to what you have found, I also noticed (with my own installation), and that is Tesla is not permitted to install or have someone else do the install until they get an interconnect license for storage from the local energy provider. In my case, there was a delay from when the engineering was done, and for me picking an install date. That 3 months delay was because PG&E delayed the interconnect licenses. Once Tesla acquired the licensed, they scheduled my install immediately (note, I don't have Solar, so I used it for Whole Home Backup until the software supports Time of Use Load Shifting at the end of the year.

Anyone have an install date pushed back because of resources being diverted Puerto Rico? I had actually thought about offering to defer install because of the disaster over in Puerto Rico. Tesla still wants to do the panel upgrade on the initial date for the end of October. My install date was supposed to be the following week.

arnold

Reactions: EinSV
Anyone have an install date pushed back because of resources being diverted Puerto Rico? I had actually thought about offering to defer install because of the disaster over in Puerto Rico. Tesla still wants to do the panel upgrade on the initial date for the end of October. My install date was supposed to be the following week.

arnold

My new install date is Dec 27-28. My previous date was Nov 6-7. Earliest "easy" install date was Dec 13, I have a complex install. So once you get to install ready it looks like about 2 months to get a date.

arnold

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
I have some more movement from SGIP... Here's the original list with the most recent update is at the bottom.

Early April, 2016 - Received a call to scheduled my on-site picture and measurement session
April 27, 2017 - Tesla technician came onsite to take pictures of all my panels, meters, and entire garage with full measurements.
May 8, 2017 - Using Docusign, I received my quote for my system, including diagrams on where they have to install the Powerwall based on code, along with a much of legal stuff.
May 25, 2017 - I signed all the Docusigns after going back and forth asking clarification on a few of the items.
May 30, 2017 - I received another Docusign from the SGIP Incentive team asking me to provide details so they can complete my SGIP application on my behalf. Completed their questionnaire, including 4 or 5 PG&E bills and something else I can't remember right now
June 6, 2017 - Received email from PG&E/SGIP stating that "You've received a conditional rebate confirmation for Step 2 of the SGIP rebate program for your Powerwall".
July 29, 2017 - Received a call from Tesla stating that my area (I'm guessing my Zip Code) now has Interconnect Licenses from PG&E so we can pick an install date. I picked the 1st date in the system which was Sept 13, 2017 with a walk-through inspection with the master electrician on Sept 11, 2017.
Sept 11, 2017 - Master Electrician came onsite to talk about the install, review the location of the install, review all of the panels, and took notes. This took about 2 hours in total
Sept 13, 2017 - Two electrician came on site and start the install. Work stared around 9am and completed around 4pm. Installation could not be completed because the Powerwall/Gateway could not be provisioned. My Wireless Wifi unit had an additional security service turned on which prevent communication to the NOC.
Sept 14, 2017 - Another electrician came onsite to complete the installation as soon as I discovered the security service was blocking connections to the Tesla NOC and I had it turned off. Everything was provisioned correctly.
Sept 15, 2017 - I received one more Docusign from Tesla which contains the PG&E Interconnect Licenses that I need to review, sign and send back which I did.
Sept 22, 2017 - Alameda county inspection was scheduled for the early afternoon. Tesla electricians came back onsite because they forgot they needed to put a Nerio monitoring device around my 60amp breaker for my Tesla Wall Connector so when in use it's energy usage would appear under the HOME category in the Tesla App. Inspection by Alameda County completed without issue around noon.
Oct 10, 2017 - I received an email from PG&E with the following "Thank you for submitting an Interconnection Request Non-Export License...".

Oct 26, 2017 - I received an email from the SGIP Program titled "SGIP Confirmed Reservation Letter". Looks like my money is now received for a total of 12 months from today, and they want the final documents to be uploaded (i.e. Incentive Claim Documents). Tesla/SolarCity will be doing that, and once SGIP receives those documents, the email indicates "Upon receipt of the Incentive Claim documents, a third-party entity will conduct an inspection of the SGIP installation to verify that the project is operational, interconnected and conforms to the eligibility criteria of the program. Payment of the incentive will be made after these items have been completed and verified."

I'll update this list once I get to whatever that next step is, which should be confirmation that all documents are submitted, scheduling the final inspection, and finally payment received and deposited.

I have some more movement from SGIP... Getting really close to hopefully getting my SGIP payment

Here's the original list with the most recent update is at the bottom.

Oct 26, 2017 - I received an email from the SGIP Program titled "SGIP Confirmed Reservation Letter". Looks like my money is now received for a total of 12 months from today, and they want the final documents to be uploaded (i.e. Incentive Claim Documents). Tesla/SolarCity will be doing that, and once SGIP receives those documents, the email indicates "Upon receipt of the Incentive Claim documents, a third-party entity will conduct an inspection of the SGIP installation to verify that the project is operational, interconnected and conforms to the eligibility criteria of the program. Payment of the incentive will be made after these items have been completed and verified."

November 9, 2017 - Received an email from PG&E SGIP. "This Non-Export Solar Battery Storage interconnection application for the above customer has been assigned to me on 11/08/2017. I will be assisting you in the interconnection process. This is only an acknowledgment and I shall be sending you a Follow Up email once I have reviewed the files to make sure we have what we need to commence the Initial Review for this Non-Export project. Your application needs to be reviewed by our planning engineer...".

What is interesting is that if there is an additional comment in the email that states. "Supplemental Review: For those projects not qualifying as simplified, a supplemental review (described in Section F.2.c of Rule 21 tariff) will provide either additional interconnection requirements, or a cost estimate and schedule for a detailed interconnection study (see below). We may require more information to complete this review. Supplemental reviews are issued within 20 business days of acceptance of the complete application. A non-refundable payment of $2,500 for the supplemental review is due PG&E within 10 days of providing the Initial Review results, unless your generator is exempt from interconnection study fees."

So if a supplemental review is requires, I guess that $2500 comes out of my pocket and eats into the $9200 SGIP rebate or maybe Tesla/Solarcity will pay for it like they did with the SGIP Application Fee.

I'll update this list once I get to whatever that next step is, which should be confirmation that all documents are submitted, scheduling the final inspection, and finally payment received and deposited.[/QUOTE]

• Informative
Reactions: Kren