Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Install from Semper Solaris norcal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to this OP I would be hesitant to apply under a "commercial" SGIP before I verified ALL consequences for saying my system was commercial. For example, would that change your electric service to a commercial pricing situation?

It's not "commercial" so you don't need to worry about changing your electric service.

The categories are based on the output power of the batteries
Small Residential Storage <= 10 kW (1 or 2 Powerwalls)
Large Scale Storage > 10 kW (3 or more Powerwalls)

You can see the current rebate levels for each at this link SGIP Program Metrics Dashboard

Last edited:
I found this nugget trying to look up stipulations on "large scale energy storage" as what it is called under SGIP:

===================================

With or without an Investment Tax Credit (ITC):
“Large-scale” Energy Storage Systems claiming a federal Investment Tax Credit will receive a reduced SGIP incentive amount, as specified in the table above. The reduction in SGIP incentive when claiming an ITC is equivalent to roughly 28%, depending on the incentive step. To be considered paired with, and charging from on-site renewables, an ESS must charge a minimum of 75% from the on-site renewable generator.

I recently completed an 8.9kw solar system + 2PW with Semper Solaris in socal.
Did they break out the cost for the Powerwalls? I got a bid from Semper in August: 3 Powerwalls for $36,900. I also got a bid from Cobalt Power for $40,000. Tesla's price depends on the installation, specifically if you need a main panel upgrade and how much that adds. Tesla told me I would need that, and it adds $4,000. So Tesla's price is about the same even without SGIP. If you don't need the main panel upgrade Tesla would be less. I ended up getting solar without the storage from another installer (Ilum Solar). Right after that the PG&E power shutoff happened so now I'm getting quotes on Powerwalls again.

Did they break out the cost for the Powerwalls? I got a bid from Semper in August: 3 Powerwalls for $36,900. I also got a bid from Cobalt Power for $40,000. Tesla's price depends on the installation, specifically if you need a main panel upgrade and how much that adds. Tesla told me I would need that, and it adds $4,000. So Tesla's price is about the same even without SGIP. If you don't need the main panel upgrade Tesla would be less. I ended up getting solar without the storage from another installer (Ilum Solar). Right after that the PG&E power shutoff happened so now I'm getting quotes on Powerwalls again.

they roughly give me a breakout of the price between solar and battery. Cost per battery including install was about 12k each before rebates.

You can see the current rebate levels for each at this link SGIP Program Metrics Dashboard
Does anyone understand why PG&E has so much money to give out? Just because they are a larger utility? Or are they harder to get money from? Why does everyone keep saying that SGIP is out of money when each of the utilities shows as having millions available?

And I kept thinking Step5 is simply the LAST of the SGIP money, but it looks like Step5 is for small energy storage. Step 1 is expressed in Watts of Generation, so that's not going to cover a PowerWall. Seems like Step5 is the name for the money allocated for battery storage.

I did my own solar install, I haven't filed my taxes yet, but I assume that there will be no issues getting the 30% back as everything else went fine with the city permit and the provisioning. Even if I cannot buy a PowerWall from Tesla, can I do my own SGIP paperwork and buy something, like from EV West? They have that used 13.2kWh battery pack for ~$1800 I am interested in.

Does anyone understand why PG&E has so much money to give out? Just because they are a larger utility? Or are they harder to get money from? Why does everyone keep saying that SGIP is out of money when each of the utilities shows as having millions available?

And I kept thinking Step5 is simply the LAST of the SGIP money, but it looks like Step5 is for small energy storage. Step 1 is expressed in Watts of Generation, so that's not going to cover a PowerWall. Seems like Step5 is the name for the money allocated for battery storage.

You're misinterpreting the page a little. The categories each had steps 1 through 5. What's displayed is the current step they're on. The default setting for the page is for Generation, which is in Step 1 for all utilities. If you're looking for the numbers for Powerwall purchases, you need to look at Small Residential Storage. Small Residential Storage is currently in Step 5 for all utilities.

I got a quote from another installer in the Bay Area, but they want 36K for 3 Powerwalls but are still eligible for SGIP Step 4 which makes the price roughly the same as going directly from Tesla. I doubt they would be able to install this year, but I assume the ITC credit is good for the total cost of the Powerwall installation assuming it is hooked up with solar?

I got a quote from another installer in the Bay Area, but they want 36K for 3 Powerwalls but are still eligible for SGIP Step 4 which makes the price roughly the same as going directly from Tesla. I doubt they would be able to install this year, but I assume the ITC credit is good for the total cost of the Powerwall installation assuming it is hooked up with solar?

YEs, ITC credit is good for Powerwalls if installed together with solar on the same contract.

YEs, ITC credit is good for Powerwalls if installed together with solar on the same contract.

On Tesla's website, it says it is also good for existing systems which I assume means they weren't installed together.

Powerwall is designed to qualify for the Federal Investment Tax Credit (ITC) when it is installed on an existing or new solar system and is charged 100% with solar energy. It does not qualify when installed without solar or if solar is installed after Powerwall. You should always consult your tax professional for your situation.

On Tesla's website, it says it is also good for existing systems which I assume means they weren't installed together.

Powerwall is designed to qualify for the Federal Investment Tax Credit (ITC) when it is installed on an existing or new solar system and is charged 100% with solar energy. It does not qualify when installed without solar or if solar is installed after Powerwall. You should always consult your tax professional for your situation.
m

Yes, you are eligible for FITC on the PW if you have existing solar as well.

If it’s the same cost either way, the things to consider would probably be:
1. Whether the PWs can be installed in the tax year you want
2. Which installers do you trust more with their work? Some are good and some aren’t so good on both sides (Tesla and 3rd party) from what I’ve seen and experienced.
3. Which installer do you think you can get a hold of on-demand for service and questions?

You can only take the ITC on your net cost after rebates. So, if your cost after rebate with a 3rd party installer is the same as going direct with Tesla, then your ITC credit will be the same, which means your total after rebates and credits will be the same.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
You can only take the ITC on your net cost after rebates. So, if your cost after rebate with a 3rd party installer is the same as going direct with Tesla, then your ITC credit will be the same, which means your total after rebates and credits will be the same.

Thanks. Yeah that is why I would probably just stick with Tesla. Just having a hard time justifying the cost. Keeping the money in TSLA would probably be smarter :)