Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall - Numbers don't add up (for me at least)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From other internet stories, I gather that swapping out a pool pump is pretty expensive, and I honestly wonder if that is the best approach. How about just putting your pump on a timer for some daily filtering, and getting in the habit of turning it on when the pool is being used ? The general problem with non-variable pumps is that they do more work than is necessary -- they are over-spec'd for the job.

I'm getting the variable speed pump installed this Friday. It's going to set me back ~$2,000. It's kind of crazy given that the existing pump is less than a year old. Even with a 50% reduction in energy usage (manufacturer says up to 90%, but I think that's optimistic), this thing will take years to pay for itself given the cheap price of electricity in Virginia.

That said, I honestly just can't stomach having a pool that consumes up to 1,500 kWh of electricity a month, more than anything else in my entire house. That just seems obscene. It also makes my solar aspirations seem futile - if I install a 7kW system, the entire solar array may be able to partially power my pool pump?!

I'll definitely share the energy usage comparison when we turn the pool up again this spring.

That is insane. Where do they produce your power? Mars?

Why is it so expensive?
Most power is produced by burning coal, oil or natural gas. Not much of any of this in HI.

Not sure why HI has not tapped into geothermal in a big way like NZ has.

But NorCal peaking costs are 44c kW/hr so you can see why some people hang out at superchargers locally.:)

Actually there is limited Geothermal production here on the Big Island. Supposedly a lot of potential, but a politically/cultural sensitive issue.

As for renewables in general, for a long time (and maybe still) the cost of renewables was tied to the fossil fuel costs, hence no savings to grid users. Last year Net Zero was pretty much crippled.

I believe HELCO is saying they are 49%from renewables. I pay .34 at my house. I don't know if they are counting household produced electricity in that 49%. About a third of the houses in my subdivision are solar generators.

That is not conservation, it is cost savings.

I agree though that the approach is the same.

By the way, ::two thumbs up:: on the solar array !

Just a note - I can't tell you how much I appreciate this perspective - it makes me feel better, considering my power bill (with 10 kw of solar capacity installed) is actually higher than it would be if I simply bought all electricity from Alabama Power (due to high grid interconnect fee). There are rumors that Southern Company would like to do some residential solar, so they may ask the PSCs in some states to reduce these fees to where solar power is at least equal in cost with conventional power... I'm hoping for that. Conservation is important, but it's even better if it comes with cost savings (that's really the only way to popularize it)...

Reactions: SageBrush
I'm getting the variable speed pump installed this Friday. It's going to set me back ~$2,000. It's kind of crazy given that the existing pump is less than a year old. Even with a 50% reduction in energy usage (manufacturer says up to 90%, but I think that's optimistic), this thing will take years to pay for itself given the cheap price of electricity in Virginia.

That said, I honestly just can't stomach having a pool that consumes up to 1,500 kWh of electricity a month, more than anything else in my entire house. That just seems obscene. It also makes my solar aspirations seem futile - if I install a 7kW system, the entire solar array may be able to partially power my pool pump?!

I'll definitely share the energy usage comparison when we turn the pool up again this spring.

Yeah, my old pool pump was straining and probably undersized when new. I ended up replacing it and a sand filter with new Pentair equipment. That included a new load center and I can do timed speed settings and also control from an app. Makes a big difference.