Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall to Keep Internet On During Power Outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to use a powerwall to keep the internet on when the power goes out?

I have a cabin in the mountains and during big snowstorms the power occasionally goes out. I’m wondering if I install a powerwall if I could have it power the router to keep the internet going? Main concern is there’s no cell service at the cabin so WiFi is the only way to communicate (and obviously I need the internet to survive).

Thanks

...Is it possible to use a powerwall to keep the internet on when the power goes out?...

I remember in the old days when the power went down, my conventional wired phone still worked throughout the power outage.

PowerWall definitely keeps your power on fine in your home but what about your Internet Providers?

Traditional wired phone utilities might have 24/7 clause but I don't think modern Internet Providers would have such guarantee.

I guess I could test it by plugging the router into a battery/generator when the power is out. If internet works then ISP has backup and powerwall would probably keep the internet on?

You could certainly test it in this manner.

If all you want is internet, you could do that a lot less expensively than installing a powerwall. A large computer UPS (uninterruptible power supply) could probably keep a DSL router alive for a couple of days or more.

If you want to power other things in your house like the furnace, lights and a well pump, powerwalls and/or a generator are great options.

You could certainly test it in this manner.

If all you want is internet, you could do that a lot less expensively than installing a powerwall. A large computer UPS (uninterruptible power supply) could probably keep a DSL router alive for a couple of days or more.

If you want to power other things in your house like the furnace, lights and a well pump, powerwalls and/or a generator are great options.

True, but it would be for things other than the internet as well (heat, fridge, internet are the main concerns)

Reactions: Jaywlker
I also live in the mountains/foothills and have had 4 power failures in the last week or so. Some time ago, I put my wireless phone and modem/WiFi router on a battery backup system consisting of 2 deep cycle batteries, a battery charger and an inverter. Since the network is always working off the inverter there is no switching involved in a power failure - it just keeps going. I calculate the it can keep my internet connection and phone going for several days. When I added a Powerwall 2, I hoped to not have to use my makeshift battery backup system, but so far I have kept it intact as in the winter when snow may affect my solar production and hence Powerwall availability. Fortunately I also have an 18 kW generator integrated into the system and that plus by internet backup system means that my internet connection never goes down.

Reactions: McManX and Big Earl
I also live in the mountains/foothills and have had 4 power failures in the last week or so. Some time ago, I put my wireless phone and modem/WiFi router on a battery backup system consisting of 2 deep cycle batteries, a battery charger and an inverter. Since the network is always working off the inverter there is no switching involved in a power failure - it just keeps going. I calculate the it can keep my internet connection and phone going for several days. When I added a Powerwall 2, I hoped to not have to use my makeshift battery backup system, but so far I have kept it intact as in the winter when snow may affect my solar production and hence Powerwall availability. Fortunately I also have an 18 kW generator integrated into the system and that plus by internet backup system means that my internet connection never goes down.

That’s for the experience! I’ve had a couple short outages today.

It's intended for outdoor setup as well but I think those engineers live in snowless California region :)

You might want to build them a porch or some kind of shelter from 10-foot snow because they need ventilation.

Well this is in California but one of those snowy parts. I could put them in the garage but space is at a premium and my falcon wings barely have enough room as it. ;)

At home (till I have referral Powerwalls) - I have my network equipment on a UPS. My connection is Fiber so I have an ONT on the side of the house that converts fiber to ethernet (which is also on a UPS). I have had brief outages (few minutes) and my network connection stayed online. Since my connection is fiber I would assume my connection would remain online as long as the Central Office has power.

I also have cellular failover just in case.

Reactions: McManX
Here in the SoCal mountains, we've had four or five feet of snow and temperatures mostly below freezing for the last 2.5 weeks. Our two Powerwalls are installed outdoors on a small porch that shelters them from the snow and rain. They've kept us powered through all of our recent outages totaling about 24 hours in duration. Keeping our forced air heater running has been a real blessing.

The only negative is that our solar panels have been buried by thick ice and snow, and we've had virtually no solar production so far this month (in spite of my efforts with a makeshift snow rake). To comply with the ITC (US Investment Tax Credit), Tesla does not normally allow solar-coupled Powerwalls to charge from the grid.

What kept us going is that Tesla activated the Storm Watch feature last week as a monster rainstorm, high winds, then snow hit us, and our Powerwalls recharged from the grid as an emergency measure. They're now back down to 80% charge and losing a few percent every day as they keep themselves alive in the cold. We're expecting more snow this week, so I'm not sure when our solar panels will be clear again. Storm Watch mode is only activated for particularly severe weather that's deemed by the National Weather Service to be likely to cause grid outages.

If using solar-coupled Powerwalls in the US in snowy climates, it's probably worth having at least a couple of solar panels that are installed at a steep pitch facing south. A south facing exterior wall might be ideal for some vertically-oriented panels. The idea would be to use those panels to slowly recharge the Powerwalls in the event the main solar array is buried.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX and PBBear