Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall won’t connect to Wi-Fi.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to discontinued 3G I’m trying to connect to WiFi. Powerwall won’t connect, I‘m guessing because I have an Orbi mesh system and the PowerWall needs a 2.4 ghz connection. Seems
pathetic if true. Any suggestions on how to get it to connect?

Your Orbi mesh system can't handle both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz, that would seem pretty pathetic if true. It is true that the wifi modem in the Gateway is only 2.4 GHz and there are known issues if you have the same SSID issue on both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz bands. This is also true for a lot of IOT devices.

If you don't want to change your Orbi settings then a low cost extender that supports both 2.4 GHz and 5.0GHz can act as a bridge like the Netgear EX3700.

Due to discontinued 3G I’m trying to connect to WiFi. Powerwall won’t connect, I‘m guessing because I have an Orbi mesh system and the PowerWall needs a 2.4 ghz connection. Seems
You may have other problems, I have Orbi and the Tesla inverter, GW2 and Model S all connected to 2.4, but I also have tons of Apple stuff, Google stuff and Amazon stuff connected to 5.0 at the same time, no issue, no dropout.

Its true that the powerwall wants 2.4Ghz, but if I remember correctly, when I was testing an Orbi system I bought at costco to see if it would work for me, there was a sort of "back end" way to make the Orbi offer separate SSIDs (network names) for both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

I ended up not keeping the orbi (costco's generous return policy) and this was a while ago, but I would check into that. Most IoT (internet of things) devices do not work on a 5Ghz SSID, and it is increasingly common for mesh systems to merge both of those SSIDs into "one network" and then separate the devices based on what they call for.

That doesnt always work, so having a 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID with different names is the easiest way (but certainly not the only way) to force these type of devices onto the 2.4Ghz wireless SSID.

You Might have another issue though as mentioned.

Only your gateway does WiFi, and admittedly only 2.4GHz. Your powerwalls themselves only communicate via a wired interface to the gateway.

You might want to browse Netgear's support site, e.g.

All the best,

BG

Wow. I have never played with a Mesh network and did not realize the limitations listed in post @BGbreeder referenced.
I have the belief that are reasons why mesh networks aren't used in non-residential settings. More generally, with the increasing prevalence of "smart" IOT devices that are actually quite slow and dumb, most users would benefit by segregating their 2.4/5GHz WiFi networks, adding in virtual LANs to wall off guests / IOT devices, and wiring access points instead of using mesh networks. (Rant over)

Mesh networks are easy, but not an optimal use of networks and bandwidth in my opinion.

@DaveS1717 as is suspect that you don't want to redo your home network, you might also look into a WiFi extender that you could then wire to your gateway with an Ethernet cable.

All the best,

BG

I have the belief that are reasons why mesh networks aren't used in non-residential settings. More generally, with the increasing prevalence of "smart" IOT devices that are actually quite slow and dumb, most users would benefit by segregating their 2.4/5GHz WiFi networks, adding in virtual LANs to wall off guests / IOT devices, and wiring access points instead of using mesh networks. (Rant over)

Mesh networks are easy, but not an optimal use of networks and bandwidth in my opinion.

@DaveS1717 as is suspect that you don't want to redo your home network, you might also look into a WiFi extender that you could then wire to your gateway with an Ethernet cable.

All the best,

BG
Thanks for the informational rant!

Also, I agree with using a wired connection, if at all possible, with the Tesla Energy Gateway. On Wi-Fi my Gateway often had dropouts and could not connect or other communication issues. Since I installed an Ethernet connection and removing my Wifi entry from the app (based on suggestions from these forums) the connection has been solid.

Wow. I have never played with a Mesh network and did not realize the limitations listed in post @BGbreeder referenced.

Mesh networks sort of focus on "easy", and most of them do not think their users have a need to segregate network SSIDs. Some devices dont even want to present a web gui in a browser for configuration, but instead want you to configure the entire thing "in the app" along with having to create yet another "account".

HAVING to use "an app" to configure a network device like a router is a non starter to me. I certainly dont mind if you can use an app to do some stuff easier while sitting on your own internal network, and using the app is an option, (not not the 1st option, at least for me).

I use Asus routers as a mesh network, which lets me have a mesh network but also have all the configuration that you normally get with regular routers. I have these here anyway, so it works for me.

Definitely better as @BGbreeder said to do it separate, and section off IoT etc, but I havent done that myself (section off the IoT stuff). A typical home user isnt going to want to bother with that, even though its the best way to handle this.

Mesh networks sort of focus on "easy", and most of them do not think their users have a need to segregate network SSIDs. Some devices dont even want to present a web gui in a browser for configuration, but instead want you to configure the entire thing "in the app" along with having to create yet another "account".

HAVING to use "an app" to configure a network device like a router is a non starter to me. I certainly dont mind if you can use an app to do some stuff easier while sitting on your own internal network, and using the app is an option, (not not the 1st option, at least for me).

I use Asus routers as a mesh network, which lets me have a mesh network but also have all the configuration that you normally get with regular routers. I have these here anyway, so it works for me.

Definitely better as @BGbreeder said to do it separate, and section off IoT etc, but I havent done that myself (section off the IoT stuff). A typical home user isnt going to want to bother with that, even though its the best way to handle this.
That is interesting. The geeky and controlling part of me would not like this. I want to know and control what every device is doing on our network!

That is interesting. The geeky and controlling part of me would not like this. I want to know and control what every device is doing on our network!

Lol... of all the subforums here, this particular one (Tesla energy) Has the fewest amount of people who fit the profile of "typical mesh network customer". This subforum regular members are the opposite of that. The technical level of the regular members of this subforum is astounding to me, frankly, lol.

Lol... of all the subforums here, this particular one (Tesla energy) Has the fewest amount of people who fit the profile of "typical mesh network customer". This subforum regular members are the opposite of that. The technical level of the regular members of this subforum is astounding to me, frankly, lol.
Yeah, one day I hope to be able to understand what the electrician types are talking about with all the single versus 3 phase wiring, circuit breakers, load factors, wiring codes, etc. My electricity knowledge is computer based and restricted to DC, 12 volt or less at under 1 Amp.