Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and license plate question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

Searched and could not find what I am looking for.

So I scheduled to have PPF installed. At same time I just got license plates and by state law, looks like I do need have front license plate installed.

Should I wait after PPF install to put on front plate? Tesla bracket has a adhesive tape in the back, will that mess up PPF?

Hey,

So I scheduled to have PPF installed. At same time I just got license plates and by state law, looks like I do need have front license plate installed.

Should I wait after PPF install to put on front plate? Tesla bracket has a adhesive tape in the back, will that mess up PPF?
I’m planning to get ppf (if and when I get the Model Y), so I ordered this to mount the front license plate:

It uses the Tesla-provided plate holder, but doesn’t require holes or adhesive. Since I don’t have the car, yet, I can’t vouch for how well it works, but I’m going to give it a try.

Hey,

You certainly don’t want to install the front plate before PPF…

I’m planning to get ppf (if and when I get the Model Y), so I ordered this to mount the front license plate:

It uses the Tesla-provided plate holder, but doesn’t require holes or adhesive. Since I don’t have the car, yet, I can’t vouch for how well it works, but I’m going to give it a try.
thanks, price seems very reasonable.

That etsy mount looks like it has the plate resting on the bumper. Does this cause rubbing away the paint?
There are foam pads that go on the plate frame where it contacts the bumper. If the mounting clamps hold the plate snugly, I wouldn’t expect any issue. If anything, there could be rub marks on the PPF, but that’s why the PPF is there, and you would only see it if you moved to a state that didn’t require a front plate.

I had the tesla factory license adhesive bracket installed upon delivery. 2 weeks later, I had full frontal ppf installed (that was the earliest appointment for my installer). I called the installer and he said it wasn't an issue/big deal removing the adhesive bracket off the car before the ppf was installed. I inspected the car after the installation and I didn't see any residue from the adhesive on the car paint (included photo of the completed ppf).

Afterwards I asked him to install the license bracket (with new adhesive) back onto my car lol.

Long story short, if your installer is good, it shouldn't be an issue. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20220505_162815.jpg
    20220505_162815.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 279