Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF - Cleaning Dirty Seams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I attempted to DIY and install PPF on my Model 3 on pretty much all panels. For the most part, it was a fun but time consuming project that didn't turn out too bad. I did purchase pre-cut film for certain areas of the car and wrapped edges on some parts where I could.

My question is for those who have a pre-cut film that's not edge wrapped, how do you clean the dirty edges? Washing it with car wash soap doesn't seem to help much. Wondering if there's any specific type of cleaner or solution I should be using. The car being pearl white doesn't help hide any of the dirt either. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Reactions: COBlue
Also, a soft bristled battery operated toothbrush works well. I spray a microfiber cloth with detailer spray, run the bristles over it, then run it along the edge of the PPF clear bra on the front. I also use it to get wax or clay out of various edges at the end of a detailing.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
I have some dirty edges, they are dirty to the point where the ppf is not adhering anymore. This is where I installed some PPF myself. Should I cut away this area, or is there a technique to make it re-adhere to the paint.

No way for the film to adhere again, once it's covered with dirt/debris and lifts off the paint. You'll need to take a razor and carefully score/remove that little strip of film. That's what I had to do with a few areas on my vehicle. Super easy, if you have a steady hand. For those who are not comfortable using/pressing a razor on the PPF and don't want to risk scratching the paint, I suppose you could try cleaning the film as much as possible and then applying an adhesion promoter to help the dirty film stick again.

As for removing dirt that has built up along the normal edges/seams, rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip and/or soft toothbrush has always worked for me.

Well unfortunately, the best way to solve a problem is to just avoid the problem. In this particular case, you have 2 separate issues. the 1st is that you have seams. That is an obvious down side to doing computer cut (pattern cut) installations. Doing a "custom" or "bulk" cut installation is probably not for the average DIY guy out there. A good expert should be able to install most panels with little to no relief cuts or seams. With all that being said, a soft bristled tooth brush and some diluted soapy water should do the trick.

However, there is a 2nd issue here, the lifting of the film. This is definitely an installation opps-ee... once the exposed adhesive collects debris, that's pretty much the end of it sticking.

As for the idea of you trimming the lifted area without risk and high probability of damaging the paint...you really are playing with fire here. A very light touch and steady hand are a must. IF you are successful at trimming it, you will now have a small area of exposed paint that will need to be covered.

I attached a pic of the lower part of a black Porsche that had the pattern cut installed poorly (by another shop). After a few years, the client brought us the car and we removed the old PPF and discovered that paint was really badly damaged in between the pieces of film.
20190829_140254.jpg
20190829_140305.jpg

Well unfortunately, the best way to solve a problem is to just avoid the problem. In this particular case, you have 2 separate issues. the 1st is that you have seams. That is an obvious down side to doing computer cut (pattern cut) installations. Doing a "custom" or "bulk" cut installation is probably not for the average DIY guy out there. A good expert should be able to install most panels with little to no relief cuts or seams. With all that being said, a soft bristled tooth brush and some diluted soapy water should do the trick.

However, there is a 2nd issue here, the lifting of the film. This is definitely an installation opps-ee... once the exposed adhesive collects debris, that's pretty much the end of it sticking.

As for the idea of you trimming the lifted area without risk and high probability of damaging the paint...you really are playing with fire here. A very light touch and steady hand are a must. IF you are successful at trimming it, you will now have a small area of exposed paint that will need to be covered.

I attached a pic of the lower part of a black Porsche that had the pattern cut installed poorly (by another shop). After a few years, the client brought us the car and we removed the old PPF and discovered that paint was really badly damaged in between the pieces of film. View attachment 503549 View attachment 503550
Yea the ones with seams were DIY. It was under $300 vs just under $2000 so I'll live with the seams.

If the job was professionally done I assume most reputable pros would remedy this for their clients, right? And if not, would the vendors (Xpel, Suntek, Llumar, etc.) step in and assist under warranty?

If the job was professionally done I assume most reputable pros would remedy this for their clients, right? And if not, would the vendors (Xpel, Suntek, Llumar, etc.) step in and assist under warranty?
film was stuck down, but heck if I know why it is lifting :p It's on a flat surface too... I think that area gets allot of wind drag, as it was adhesive next to the ppf, but then the PPF started lifting a little (like 1mm of it)

Order one of the really good clear bra cutting knives on Amazon - check the reviews.

Order some bulk film from Amazon.

Get a piece of metal, like a square sheet of copper or aluminum from Amazon or a hobby store.

Apply the film using the normal method.

Practice scoring the film without cutting all the way through to the metal. When you're doing it right, you'll hear a little squeaky noise as you're scoring the film, and you'll get used to how it feels just going through the top layer of the ppf. Take the film off to check your work.

When you're practiced and confident, trim the bad edges off your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam3
I am a vendor of Xpel. These flaws were not product failures. They were installation errors. They are not covered by any manufacturer warranty. Each shop has their own policies and their own levels of installation abilities. A GOOD shop would definitely encourage you to go back and let them fix or do whatever is needed to solve the issue.

I am a vendor of Xpel. These flaws were not product failures. They were installation errors. They are not covered by any manufacturer warranty. Each shop has their own policies and their own levels of installation abilities. A GOOD shop would definitely encourage you to go back and let them fix or do whatever is needed to solve the issue.
What do you do during the install process to prevent an exposed edge from collecting dirt?

My shop rolls the edges. That means the edges are tucked and rolled behind each body panel. In other words, we simply don't have an edge that is visible/exposed with the doors closed.

In this picture, you can barely see the edge of the clear bra in the bottom left of the pic. This is way down inside the mouth of the front bumper. The film edge is about 1/16 of an inch from the edge of the paint.
Model 3 PPF.jpg

My shop rolls the edges. That means the edges are tucked and rolled behind each body panel. In other words, we simply don't have an edge that is visible/exposed with the doors closed.

In this picture, you can barely see the edge of the clear bra in the bottom left of the pic. This is way down inside the mouth of the front bumper. The film edge is about 1/16 of an inch from the edge of the paint. View attachment 505280
That looks great, but my pre-cut kit didn't have enough material for that, so I would like to understand my install error so I don't repeat it.

The honest answer is exposed edges will collect dirt. To prevent it from lifting, make sure you "heat seal" all the edges. With a heat gun, we heat up ALL the edges and press them out to make sure nothing will lift later on. You will want to still be able to touch the material with your bare fingers, so you don't need to be super close with the heat gun.

Do you have any pics of the precut kit?

The honest answer is exposed edges will collect dirt. To prevent it from lifting, make sure you "heat seal" all the edges. With a heat gun, we heat up ALL the edges and press them out to make sure nothing will lift later on. You will want to still be able to touch the material with your bare fingers, so you don't need to be super close with the heat gun.

Do you have any pics of the precut kit?
You mean installed? I haven't had time to wash my car all month, but I should have a chance in a couple weeks.
I got the kit from servo PPF.

I did use a heatgun, but perhaps I should have spent a little more time on that edge.