Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or not PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a Model S that had PPF installed on the full front plus the door area above the rockers 8 years ago and 240,000 miles later.
IMG_2515.jpeg

The original PPF was beat to hell and had some large tears from some really significant hits. We just replaced it and the paint was still like new under the PPF. The rest of the car had some chips mostly from stones kicked by tires.

We very recently took delivery of another Model S. From lessons learned from the black one. The new one got full PPF this time. They make a nice pair.

For us PPF has been worth every penny we spent.

IMG_1146.jpeg

Here’s a Model S that had PPF installed on the full front plus the door area above the rockers 8 years ago and 240,000 miles later.
View attachment 1059736

The original PPF was beat to hell and had some large tears from some really significant hits. We just replaced it and the paint was still like new under the PPF. The rest of the car had some chips mostly from stones kicked by tires.

We very recently took delivery of another Model S. From lessons learned from the black one. The new one got full PPF this time. They make a nice pair.

For us PPF has been worth every penny we spent.

View attachment 1059737
Awesome!!!

I have finally made up my mind on how I will proceed with my Model S.

After over three years of ownership, my Model 3 was peppered with stone chips. I'd guestimate 90% of those chips were on the front bumper, mirror caps, and rocker panels. I had some additional on the hood and rear doors, but nothing like the aforementioned areas.

So, on my S, I am going to go with those three areas only. There's a good hunk of factory PPF at the rear doors. I can accept some small chips on the hood and rear doors; I'm good with touchup paint for those areas; they don't get sandblasted like the others.

These areas are also all plastic, so I'm not so worried about uneven fading versus doing the popular "front end" ppf that includes the hood and fenders. I have no desire to PPF the whole car, i like detailing, hand washing and polishing my car, so the value is not there for me.

The bonus is that the PPF guy will also remove the front plate holder for me.

View attachment 1059695
God that's a beautiful car!

If you drive any amount of miles do yourself a favor and install mud flaps on at least the front. Even more important on the current refresh. The ones Tesla is currently selling are good. Stiff on the top and flexible on the bottom. The early version was probably too long. These are better. They will drag occasionally but doesn’t seem to bother them at all.
Dragging occasionally doesn’t matter for me. It on the contrary tells me the flap does what it can to protect the worst quality paint I had on any car, ever. :oops:

Reactions: zoomer0056
If you drive any amount of miles do yourself a favor and install mud flaps on at least the front. Even more important on the current refresh. The ones Tesla is currently selling are good. Stiff on the top and flexible on the bottom. The early version was probably too long. These are better. They will drag occasionally but doesn’t seem to bother them at all.
I have PPF on my refresh Model S. When I purchased the Tesla refresh Model S front mudguards, they were annoying as constantly hitting lower areas. Have they improved them since first released? I ended up taking them off. Would be great if improved and would try again. No one is getting any paint damage from having these on?

I have PPF on my refresh Model S. When I purchased the Tesla refresh Model S front mudguards, they were annoying as constantly hitting lower areas. Have they improved them since first released? I ended up taking them off. Would be great if improved and would try again. No one is getting any paint damage from having these on?
I was apprehensive about them also. Even bought another set from Yeslak which are pretty decent. Apparently they did improve them because earlier folks were complaining about how they were dragging. The only time I notice anything is speed bumps or steeper driveways. The drivers side hit pretty hard one day in construction zone drain. I figured for sure “well that ones gone”. Nope really couldn’t tell it hit anything. With the bottom being more flexible it seems they can take quite a beating and survive.

Myself I’m okay with having them drag occasionally for the protection they provide. But we put on a lot of miles on roads that are less than ideal.

I did put Yeslak rear set on as Tesla doesn’t offer any for the rear. Those rear tires have gotten wide….