Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or not PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PPF is a complete waste of money
I agree and I’ve had a poor experience with PPF but that has proven to be an unpopular opinion on car enthusiast forums.

That's not fair, guys. Some people consider PPF to be a great value for the money.

If you're one of those people, I'd like to let you in on an exclusive, one-time offer of the world's best 24K-colored golden duct tape - on sale now for just $1,799.99. Don't miss this once in a lifetime opportunity. PM me for details.

images

If gold's not your color, but you still want to get in on a great deal... try our "Virtually Unlimited" THREE THOUSAND FOOT roll of plastic wrap for just $2,299.59. Buy it once, use it *FOREVER* (or until it runs out, whichever comes first). Deals like this don't come around often, don't delay. Order now.

images

First Tesla - I am neutral on the PPF to be honest. I have matte finish on my white MSLR because people saying the paint chips easier. I like the look but someone already hit my car and it was a paint after getting repairs done to get it redone again.

My F150, used it to drive all over US/Canada towing my RV, no protection at all, treated it with very little car. ONly a few chips here in there due to rock dents but i figure no PPF is going to protect from that.

White doesnt really have swirl marks so PPF isnt an advantage there. Would i do it again? Not sure, but then again, whats more lethel than some scratches is the amount the model S price dropped since i bought in 2021! What PPF protects from that LOL.. I feel bad for the Plaid guys! You can probably repaint your car 4 times for the amount the price was cut!

Reactions: father_of_6
Just curious, what made it a poor experience?
I had a 2005 BMW convertible that had high quality PPF on it for seven or eight years. it wasn’t a complete body PPF, it was the front only. The PPF started to clearly discolor over time versus the rest of the car, so I removed it. However, the underlying paint had aged differently than the non-PPF portion of the car and the car was forever two tone after that. Further, PPF did not stop rock chips. You get them anyway from bigger rocks, and it often damages the PPF.

I’ve heard the stories about installers cutting the paint during the process, which, if you’ve watched them work, it’s completely obvious this can easily happen. In the video @CleanDemon linked above that detailer Colton speaks about a Porsche owner this happened to. Finally, with PPF prices now being what they’ve become, I just don’t think the value is there. In many cases, you could repaint the car for what they’re charging.

But as I said, I’ve learned this is an unpopular opinion on car enthusiast forums.

I was not particularly found in the idea of PPF but after I got the very weak paint more or less ruined below the doors on my M3P in only 2.5 years, I think PPF is the only option as we can not get a Tesla with a real quality pant.

Yeah, there is no silver bullet. PPF is supposed to be damaged when doing its sacrificial job.

That doesn't matter, does it? No peer pressure need be accepted when doing your own thing.
Easy to say, but damaged PPF usually looks like garbage, man. Worse than chips. Fixing it is sometimes more expensive than first install, since removal is often needed.

But no, peer opinion doesn't matter in the least, which is why it's usually not worth the time to explain.

Many feel the need to rationalize their PPF purchase, and frankly I'm glad they have the option.

I just ordered a new Model S (blue) and a white Porsche Taycan (still awaiting delivery for both). I did do a 3M PPF on my first Tesla and I am seriously considering not doing it on either, for some of the reasons posted here but I also think some of the points made in this video have some validity…

I still have not decided 100% but I see both sides of the argument.

• Helpful
Reactions: coder and Resist
I sympathize with the PPF people though - my car looks like a shotgun went off in front of it. I think we all understand the desire to prevent chips. I just don't agree the crazy expensive PPF's are a solution. In my experience the cons outweigh the pros, sadly. I wish it were different.

With Llumar Valor (SunTek Reaction), which has ceramic properties, my 2023 Blue Model S looks much much much more glossy and clean than naked paint. Even orange peel and reflection is better. They key is to get the right film. All these videos with non sense edges that are dirtly are non sense. Clean your car and do not let it set for too long in dirt and u will be fine, and also, get a good film like SunTek or Llumar that has edge seal technology around the seam to prevent all the non-sense... Cheap film? u will have some issues. They key is a good film even more important than a good installer.

With Llumar Valor (SunTek Reaction), which has ceramic properties, my 2023 Blue Model S looks much much much more glossy and clean than naked paint. Even orange peel and reflection is better. They key is to get the right film. All these videos with non sense edges that are dirtly are non sense. Clean your car and do not let it set for too long in dirt and u will be fine, and also, get a good film like SunTek or Llumar that has edge seal technology around the seam to prevent all the non-sense... Cheap film? u will have some issues. They key is a good film even more important than a good installer.
I'm old enough to realize the promises of the PPF industry never end. I'm 54 and a car guy all my life. I can't tell you how many grandiose statements like that I've heard over the years.

But the truth is, I hope you're right. It will be fascinating to see what your car looks like in 5 years.

I sort of do detailing as a hobby. I have a random orbital polisher and all of the toys you’d might expect. I keep my cars ultra clean, but I have the dark edges in my PPF and it’s not from a lack of cleaning. I had 3M PPF installed (which was rated better than Llumar, or Xpel at the time it was installed 6 years ago), so it’s not a cheap film. My installers seemed competent although if I did it again, I’d use a different guy I know now that is amongst the best in Toronto. Having said that, if you live in a northern climate with heavy snow falls and where you might not be able to wash the car for a few days, you’ll have dirty edges.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I'm old enough to realize the promises of the PPF industry never end. I'm 54 and a car guy all my life. I can't tell you how many grandiose statements like that I've heard over the years.

But the truth is, I hope you're right. It will be fascinating to see what your car looks like in 5 years.
This is so true but for me, the biggest thing I struggle with a PPF film is this… who am I protecting the car for? Is it for the next owner? Like, if I change my car every 4-6 years, what’s the point?

I sort of do detailing as a hobby. I have a random orbital polisher and all of the toys you’d might expect. I keep my cars ultra clean, but I have the dark edges in my PPF and it’s not from a lack of cleaning. I had 3M PPF installed (which was rated better than Llumar, or Xpel at the time it was installed 6 years ago), so it’s not a cheap film. My installers seemed competent although if I did it again, I’d use a different guy I know now that is amongst the best in Toronto. Having said that, if you live in a northern climate with heavy snow falls and where you might not be able to wash the car for a few days, you’ll have dirty edges.
If you have a garage, I don't think that miniating the car would be a big deal even during winter. I would at least wipe the edges every 3 days via an ONR rinse-less solution and red sponge. Works like magic. Plus, if you have too many edges, then you installer knows nothing. Llumar cutting software made excellent cuts wherein I don't have many seams anyway. Again, it is not all about the installer, but the film itself. 3M isn't that good cutting wise. Llumar right now has the best cutting templates in the industry... they invested a ton of time based on what I heard optimizing their cutting templates and I can see that on my car.

PPF threads here are like oil threads for ICE motors. Let's start with the end; YMMV.

I am on my 4th Tesla in 2 years. The pain sucks for my Fremont built cars. Full stop. It sucks.

Of my 4 Teslas, one had no PPF, one had partial and two with full. The one without PPF (M3 LR), had its nose looking like it was sandblasted after 2k miles. The other one driving on the same roads, but typically at higher speeds, with PPF looked new. No rocks punched through the PPF.

I was lucky enough that someone drove across the nose of the M3 LR. So I got the entire nose repainted. SInce the car was already damaged, I didn't bother getting PPF on it and the paint needed to cure. Guess what? In the 18 months since the nose was replaced and painted, the car looks amazingly well. The Tesla-approved body shop did a much better job painting car than the factory did and has held up MUCH better.

I got some chipping behind the wheels until I got mudflaps on the M3. I don't worry that much about it at this point. It was sort of our beater car anyway. Hate to use that term but that is what it basically is.

On my MS Plaid, I switched from Xpel which had been on my other cars to STEK. This was clearly an improvement I can see. The hydrophobicity is better, it is clearer and I think a better film overall. The hydrophobicity as well as shine really makes the stock white paint pop. I also have to park my car where there are tree droppings at times. In one day the 3 was stained bad enough I had to spend hour taking care of it. With the Plaid, I just washed all the crap off when I got home pretty easily.

The PPF has saved all the chipping on my rear quarters and behind the wheels. All the power the Plaid lays down means it can through up a lot of road debris when hard on it. At the end of the day, it makes it easier to maintain my car and it looks cleaner. The lack of chipping is a huge plus to me. Not to mention, any paintwork will typically further devalue the car. So I have to repaint a section, I am going to get hit with even more depreciation. If the paint as thin as it was on my Y, I'd have even more to worry about.

For me the real benefit is in the garage. My wife walks past the car carrying stuff to hers most days. I can't tell you how many times she's grazed the car with her purse or other stuff she is carrying. The stock paint would have been chewed up pretty badly by now. With the PPF, it is holding up great. At times I am amazed by what the self healing has done by just leaving it in the sun or pouring warm water on it.

If you have a white car, don't do a strip of anything, do an entire panel or you will have a dirt seam that is annoying. I am glad I did my S and glad I didn't do my 3. Don't both ceramic coating the PPF, at least not for the first 18 months or so. I did do all my glass on the S's and Y and will do my 3 soon.

• Helpful
… the biggest thing I struggle with a PPF film is this… who am I protecting the car for? Is it for the next owner? Like, if I change my car every 4-6 years, what’s the point?
Very true. What’s the end game? Are you preserving the car so that years down the road you plan to take it off and enjoy it then? Are you preserving it for the next owner?

Recently a friend and fellow car guy said you never get the value of PPF dollars on the back end. Dealerships won’t pay you for PPF on trade - rock chips are the norm in their world as part of the typical wear and tear. But again I say that I’m glad people have the option and can vote with their dollars if they choose to.

Reactions: CleanDemon
PPF threads here are like oil threads for ICE motors. Let's start with the end; YMMV.

I am on my 4th Tesla in 2 years. The pain sucks for my Fremont built cars. Full stop. It sucks.

Of my 4 Teslas, one had no PPF, one had partial and two with full. The one without PPF (M3 LR), had its nose looking like it was sandblasted after 2k miles. The other one driving on the same roads, but typically at higher speeds, with PPF looked new. No rocks punched through the PPF.

I was lucky enough that someone drove across the nose of the M3 LR. So I got the entire nose repainted. SInce the car was already damaged, I didn't bother getting PPF on it and the paint needed to cure. Guess what? In the 18 months since the nose was replaced and painted, the car looks amazingly well. The Tesla-approved body shop did a much better job painting car than the factory did and has held up MUCH better.

I got some chipping behind the wheels until I got mudflaps on the M3. I don't worry that much about it at this point. It was sort of our beater car anyway. Hate to use that term but that is what it basically is.

On my MS Plaid, I switched from Xpel which had been on my other cars to STEK. This was clearly an improvement I can see. The hydrophobicity is better, it is clearer and I think a better film overall. The hydrophobicity as well as shine really makes the stock white paint pop. I also have to park my car where there are tree droppings at times. In one day the 3 was stained bad enough I had to spend hour taking care of it. With the Plaid, I just washed all the crap off when I got home pretty easily.

The PPF has saved all the chipping on my rear quarters and behind the wheels. All the power the Plaid lays down means it can through up a lot of road debris when hard on it. At the end of the day, it makes it easier to maintain my car and it looks cleaner. The lack of chipping is a huge plus to me. Not to mention, any paintwork will typically further devalue the car. So I have to repaint a section, I am going to get hit with even more depreciation. If the paint as thin as it was on my Y, I'd have even more to worry about.

For me the real benefit is in the garage. My wife walks past the car carrying stuff to hers most days. I can't tell you how many times she's grazed the car with her purse or other stuff she is carrying. The stock paint would have been chewed up pretty badly by now. With the PPF, it is holding up great. At times I am amazed by what the self healing has done by just leaving it in the sun or pouring warm water on it.

If you have a white car, don't do a strip of anything, do an entire panel or you will have a dirt seam that is annoying. I am glad I did my S and glad I didn't do my 3. Don't both ceramic coating the PPF, at least not for the first 18 months or so. I did do all my glass on the S's and Y and will do my 3 soon.
Good to know about stek vs Xpel. I’m reading the Xpel adhesive is more aggressive. Looking into ppf’ing my whole car and it looks like it’s down to stek or Xpel. Haven’t read too much into llumar. Did you ever look into that?