Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or not PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used this on my 1st Corvette also. At the time I did my research, it was the best. "Multi-step process" is a major understatement. In addition to claybar, I think you had to line up 7 or 8 bottles to do all the steps. I did this for a couple of years. It became a PITA with all the steps. For my 2nd Corvette I switched to P21S carnauba wax. It doesn't last as long but is beautiful and goes on better than any wax I've used. It smells good too. Then I switched to Xpel PPF and Halo ceramic for my Feb 2022 MSLR and my workload has deminished even more and with shine and protection. I still use claybar and P21S on my wife's ICE ages car.

Reactions: teko
I loved the Zaino. Like you folks, I used it on my corvettes (except my last one----2015 Z06 with 625 HP, which I had Expel put on 100% of it). Initially, I found the Zaino instructions and multi step process to be extremely confusing, but after the first application it really did become a simple and quick way to keep the cars looking pristine. I also used Rejex (I think it was called) on the rims---not many folks heard of it, but it worked great. Of course, I didn't use the vettes as our every day car, so I don't know how the Zaino would work on cars driven every day.

I loved the Zaino. Like you folks, I used it on my corvettes (except my last one----2015 Z06 with 625 HP, which I had Expel put on 100% of it). Initially, I found the Zaino instructions and multi step process to be extremely confusing, but after the first application it really did become a simple and quick way to keep the cars looking pristine.
I know that shortly after I started using Zaino they came up with less products you had to use, I think they combined a few which made things less time consuming.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Just tested Llumar Valor for the very first warranty claim. Easy, smooth and no issues at all.

One of the edges around the taillights had a seam that looked wrinkled on the edge allowing dust to build there. Took me 10 seconds showing it to the store and issue was resolved with a new piece wrapping the taillights.

One thing I learned about the new Llumar PPF (Llumar Valor):
1. It's a 12 years warranty
2. It also covers any rock-chip that goes through film. In most cases, chips that don't go through the film are self-healable, hence anything else really that fully goes through the film warrants a full replacement of that piece.

I’m on team Not Needed. It’s obviously a personal decision but I haven’t found PPF necessary.

Here’s our X. 3 1/2 years old, just over 67k miles. Been all over the USA. Just had it detailed Wednesday, still looks fantastic. No PPF.

PS - Nevermind the removed parts - our owners’ club was doing a class for first responders this weekend. We take panels off the X to show the first responders where the cut loops, airbags and hinges and springs and such are.

Attachments

• IMG_4468.jpeg
    IMG_4468.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Resist
I’m on team Not Needed. It’s obviously a personal decision but I haven’t found PPF necessary.

Here’s our X. 3 1/2 years old, just over 67k miles. Been all over the USA. Just had it detailed Wednesday, still looks fantastic. No PPF.
I agree with you. But it's difficult to prevent front end nicks from tiny stones on wet roads, which is what many say PPF protects against. I'm just not good with how expensive PPF is and if I had done it I wouldn't want only a small section wrapped in it. My 2018 Model 3 with only 25k miles had a lot of front end nicks and windshield chips from driving a lot of 2 hours trips in good weather. You couldn't really see them 10 to 15 feet away, so it didn't bother me too much, well, expect for a few windshield chips right at eye level but what are you going to do as it's unavoidable. But it's a good thing I never spent the money putting PPF on it because I traded it in a few weeks ago, and I wouldn't have gotten much extra if any for having PPF on the trade.

The sad reality is that it adds zero value at trade or resale. Not saying it’s right, but there is no value assigned to it for buyers.
I kinda disagree... It may not add that much, but it adds a bit. If I am buying a used one, and I see two identical cars one with full PPF from a top brand that looks neat, shinny with flawless paint, and another one with normal swirlk marks or chips for it's age, I would be glad to pay at least 1000 USD more for the one with full PPF.

Now, depending on where you live the labor cost, you do NOT need to always pay 8K for a full PFF. In some areas, it is no more than 4K (smaller towns and states wherein labor hourly late is not as high) for a top PPF brand. PPF film does not cost shops that much, it is mostly labor, and can be done in one day for a good pre-cut templates... Hence, 4-4.5K is completely reasonable to expect. Of course if you live in FL or the bay area, good luck getting anything for less than 7K.

So, in summary, if you can get full PPF for a good price using a top brand film, why not!!!... I would at least gladly pay 1000 more for a neat flawless car with full PPF if not more, and I have done that in the past. Now not everyone would do that, but in the private sale market, you for sure will get just some money above fair market value for a full PPF or full wrap.

Also, keep in mind that many of us are NOT doing PPF for the protection, but simply to have a car that looks sooooo glossy and shiny with no swirl marks whatsoever. I hand wash my cars, and with PPF, I am guaranteed to have a car with paint that looks even better and more glossy that factory even after years. Llumar Valor has 12 years warranty and covers any seam that lifts or any rock chips that goes through the film. Majority of rock chips that do not fully penetrate the film can self-heat (some won't) but in most cases you are guaranteed to have a better looking vehicle, and most importantly, easy to clean. That's why I got it... it is for me, not the next owner. I can't tell you how much I love my PPF each time I look at it under the sun when clean and shiny. It really adds a lot of gloss and character especially on blue paint. Maybe not so much on white, but darker colors or blue, it adds a lot of extra gloss. Not "necessary*" but it does add a lot of benefits cosmetically for sure. Worth it? that is subjective there is no right/wrong answer.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fleer and Resist
Fact: Any driven Model S with the extra wide body + sticky summer perf tires is going to get peppered with rock chips.

I see even relatively new Model Ss 2021+ in various states of condition. This is why even in this very tiny, niche thread you have people who don't seemingly give af to those who consider a $5K PPF job a no brainer.

Value is as value does. If paint chips don't matter to you, don't bother. If keeping your Model S paint chip free is important, there are specialty plastics out there to aid you.

Xpel'ed out

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 12.52.21 PM.png

the type of guy who braces his body weight on door sill ingress/egress to eliminate driver seat bolster wear/tear

Last edited:
Fact: Any driven Model S with the extra wide body + sticky summer perf tires is going to get peppered with rock chips.

I see even relatively new Model Ss 2021+ in various states of condition. This is why even in this very tiny, niche thread you have people who don't seemingly give af to those who consider a $5K PPF job a no brainer.

Value is as value does. If paint chips don't matter to you, don't bother. If keeping your Model S paint chip free is important, there are specialty plastics out there to aid you.

Xpel'ed out

View attachment 982970

the type of guy who braces his body weight on door sill ingress/egress to eliminate driver seat bolster wear/tear
Yup.

Just wanted to say, that's not a specific Tesla thing. Any vehicle will take rock and paint chips ... so whether to wrap or not wrap is an individual decision for any car you'd own.

Just wanted to say, that's not a specific Tesla thing. Any vehicle will take rock and paint chips ... so whether to wrap or not wrap is an individual decision for any car you'd own.
Yeah, that's a given. Any car. I've had two beautiful Corvettes and never gave PPF even one thought... then. However, one day back then, after work I decided to take the long way and drive my 1996 C4 Corvette around the Wagon Wheel loop. It's in the Mojave desert. Long stretches of barren road, some curves and hills for this last of a model year LT4 'vette. I was enjoying the drive when a dust devil carrying 1/8" sized gravel gobbled up my car. Holly crap if I didn't cry when looking at the damage once home. PPF would've saved us both.

On my other cars, I only had to PPF the front end to appease my auto ocd.

On my 2023 MSP, I did the whole car as I didn't want to just partial the rear door and rear quarters. I saw first hand how shot up these sections get in my friend's not PPFed 2022 MSP with just 5K miles. Tesla paint is substandard compared to paint on my other vehicles from Japan and Germany.

Nasty

Screenshot 2023-10-17 2.39.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-17 2.36.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-17 2.36.33 PM.png

Last edited:
I was not particularly found in the idea of PPF but after I got the very weak paint more or less ruined below the doors on my M3P in only 2.5 years, I think PPF is the only option as we can not get a Tesla with a real quality pant.

I was also in this camp. Never have had or have seen the need for PPF.

I have a '21 M3P and the paint on the front bumper, hood, rockers, snd lower rear doors is just trashed. Low mileage car (13K) at 2.5 years but my commute is high speed highway and regular debris from yard companies, trucks, etc. has just decimated my paint.

I don't think it's a paint quality issue, but more of an aerodynamics and lack of plastic/grill thing combined with rocks flung up from sticky summer tires.

I'll be trading up to a Model S sometime next summer, and I'm 95% sure I'll go the PPF route. I just can't stand seeing the white primer spots all over my rockers especially. Trying to figure out if I go front end only, or full car at this point.

My biggest fear is install errors. And I don't like the lines, but I like rock chips even less.