Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-cool remotely?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you pre-cool the Model 3 remotely? My wife would be thrilled if on a typical day in July here in the Atlanta area (95 degrees and 90% humidity) I could get the car cooled down a few minutes before leaving the restaurant to drive home. This would be a factor in my convincing her to buy the car.

Here...
Screenshot_20210115-105633_Tesla.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz and alexgr
Please beware, this can affect beer drinking time, turn it
on too soon your partner will be rushing you out the door.
Its cool now lets go, its warm now lets go..... but I want another
beer, sorry those days are gone. On the other hand I just say
I am not going to go in a car thats not at the right temp. It may buy
you 15 minutes max so use it wizely. Darn neat, hear you can get
fined for running the car for such pleasure (ICE).

Please beware, this can affect beer drinking time, turn it
on too soon your partner will be rushing you out the door.
Its cool now lets go, its warm now lets go..... but I want another
beer, sorry those days are gone. On the other hand I just say
I am not going to go in a car thats not at the right temp. It may buy
you 15 minutes max so use it wizely. Darn neat, hear you can get
fined for running the car for such pleasure (ICE).

User name checks out

Cooling and heating the car from inside a restaurant or store is one of our favorite features, you can also keep the climate on while you make a quick store run or something.

Can you pre-cool the Model 3 remotely? My wife would be thrilled if on a typical day in July here in the Atlanta area (95 degrees and 90% humidity) I could get the car cooled down a few minutes before leaving the restaurant to drive home. This would be a factor in my convincing her to buy the car.

Yep, one of the few things my wife actually likes about the car. We’re from Atlanta and now live in Charleston, which believe it or not is HOTTER and MORE HUMID in the summer than Atlanta. But a few minutes after turning on the AC with the app those black pleather seats are nice and cool. :cool:

Hell Yeh! :p
From anywhere on the planet when your phone has the internet connection you can control the temperature inside your Tesla. I sometimes even change music when my wife is driving, but that's not advisable, you may experience a sudden damage when your spouse comes home.

Also, in winter when it's cold, you can turn on seats heaters remotely.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: smartypnz
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe if the AC was off when you got out of the car, it doesn’t turn on remotely for cooling? Just does the best it can without turning on the compressor. At least that’s what I remember last summer. Might’ve changed with an update.

I live in Tulsa, we have 100+F in summer often, which can mean 150+F inside. The car has an overheat protection set at about 105F which perfectly works. Then, before leaving we cool the car down and it works. There is an option to NOT use the AC for overheat protection to save battery, turn it off and get your AC on when you need it.

Reactions: Nocturnal
There is an option to NOT use the AC for overheat protection to save battery
How exactly do you do that? I don't remember seeing that option, but need to check again after the last 2 updates. I have it in OFF since it's winter now.

And good to know A/C kicks in automatically if needed when cooling remotely. I always turn A/C off before arriving home, to avoid musty smell over time.

Gonna pay attention to it again this summer and see what’s up. All I know is that I went to an outdoor shooting range w/ my dad last year in SC, it was 1,000°. In an attempt to convert him, I precooled the car remotely to like 68°, but the AC never turned on. So the fans were going insane and helped a little, but no compressor.

We do this all summer long. The AC runs when I remote-cool the car; after a day at the shore, I can get the car down to a frigid 68 degrees in no time. It’s magnificent.

We do this all summer long. The AC runs when I remote-cool the car; after a day at the shore, I can get the car down to a frigid 68 degrees in no time. It’s magnificent.
Yeah it worked for me as long as the AC was on the last time I was using any HVAC. Who knows. These cars do whatever the hell they want. Could’ve been a quirk that’s been since remedied.

Not only can you remotely turn on the climate control, you can just leave it on if you're making a short stop somewhere. During the summer, I frequently just set "Climate Keeper" to ON, which keeps the A/C/Heat at whatever temp you want. I've done an entire day of errands and driving around on 110+ degree days with it on non-stop. Might as well keep the car nice and cool the whole time. The app will warn you if its been on for more than a few hours (in case you forget).

Another selling point around this same topic: Drive thru lines. Starbucks, In-N-Out, Popeye's, Chick-Fil-A, whatever. Long lines, no idling engine wasting fuel while you have your A/C or heat on. The car just sits quietly using only as much power as it needs to keep you comfortable. After doing several drive thru lines I drove my truck again for a few days and I couldn't believe how badly I wanted to turn off the engine while in line. Its like it was burning dollar bills just to keep me cool (and I love my truck - but still)

Reactions: Gasaraki
Gonna pay attention to it again this summer and see what’s up. All I know is that I went to an outdoor shooting range w/ my dad last year in SC, it was 1,000°. In an attempt to convert him, I precooled the car remotely to like 68°, but the AC never turned on. So the fans were going insane and helped a little, but no compressor.
I live in the tropics + desert. id definetly notice if the AC wouldnt precool.