Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
option 4: find someone who can help on TMC

@DaBase was able to activate 2nd row heating and ambient lighting on MCU2, model s, latest firmware- hardware for new features needs to be installed already obviously.

Price is reasonable- about half of Tesla's cost estimate to "investigate" why my HW was not working ;) - but no guaratee Tesla techs will activate features. I previously had good luck getting my MCU2 radio, fog lights, heated stearing wheel, spolier on display activated by a friendly tech at Tesla during warranty work, so that was basically free. But my friendly tech left :(

All @DaBase needed was a Windows 10 laptop, anydesk/teamviewer, Tesla fakra-ethernet Service Cable (Tesla PN 1013230-00-A or ebay ) and a strong internet connection near car. Took a couple of hours to setup the laptop but the actual activation was quick.

Was done using standard Tesla Toolbox 3.0 but with the privileges to unlock the gateway, which is the most important thing. I belive this makes the changes persistent between fws and can apply to any Tesla Model.

edit: any tesla model, found cheaper cable on ebay

Last edited:
I've got a Dec. 16 2014 manufactured model S, would I need an updated sccm for this upgrade? One of the diagrams in this thread has me thinking I don't.
You would have to see if you have the heated wheel fuse installed (model dependent) or take the steering SCCM off the car and check the pins/part number to see if you have the right one. Good luck in your quest.