Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-facelift vin <50900 can't use v3 supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with older Model S unable to use v3 superchargers? Tried multiple locations and stalls, and each time, get yellow light around the charge port and the following messages in the instrument cluster 'Charge port latch not engaged' 'Fully insert charge cable or check for obstruction' messages.

I can charge at v1 & v2 supercharger stalls, as well as with umc successfully. So seems like it's something with mine or older Model S charge port design/latch position??

Anyone with older Model S unable to use v3 superchargers? Tried multiple locations and stalls, and each time, get yellow light around the charge port and the following messages in the instrument cluster 'Charge port latch not engaged' 'Fully insert charge cable or check for obstruction' messages.

I can charge at v1 & v2 supercharger stalls, as well as with umc successfully. So seems like it's something with mine or older Model S charge port design/latch position??
I did have a problem with that at one place, and it's not a software thing. It's a physical thing with the diameter of the plastic handle on the charging cable. Some of the new handles on the newer installations are just barely slightly thicker, and it's a damn tight fit trying to get them into your charge port, and it doesn't go in far enough for the latching pin to engage. I was at Emporia, KS when I had that happen. I don't think it's actually relevant to V2 versus V3 except that the old ones have gotten a lot of use and have been kind of worn down and smoothed off, and the newer ones haven't yet and are too tight to fit sometimes. A little fine grit sand paper would fix that.

I did have a problem with that at one place, and it's not a software thing. It's a physical thing with the diameter of the plastic handle on the charging cable. Some of the new handles on the newer installations are just barely slightly thicker, and it's a damn tight fit trying to get them into your charge port, and it doesn't go in far enough for the latching pin to engage. I was at Emporia, KS when I had that happen. I don't think it's actually relevant to V2 versus V3 except that the old ones have gotten a lot of use and have been kind of worn down and smoothed off, and the newer ones haven't yet and are too tight to fit sometimes. A little fine grit sand paper would fix that.
Thanks, at least that confirms it should work. Guess I can try a tad bit more push-in force. Not sure me sanding the charging cable connectors would get a welcomed look. Just seemed strange that this happens at multiple locations and multiple stalls, and these SCs have been around for at least 6 months. Gonna have to try attempts again otherwise this summer's road trip will require a bit more planning.

I charged at a v3 supercharger in Dahlgren, VA on Easter without any drama. I didn't even know it was v3 until I just looked it up. My car is pre-facelift but has a VIN after 50900. What happened after 50900?
Thanks for info...another data point that it's prolly just me. The vin was when they switched tpms systems, so wasn't sure if also updated charge port (design).

Thanks, at least that confirms it should work. Guess I can try a tad bit more push-in force. Not sure me sanding the charging cable connectors would get a welcomed look. Just seemed strange that this happens at multiple locations and multiple stalls, and these SCs have been around for at least 6 months. Gonna have to try attempts again otherwise this summer's road trip will require a bit more planning.
Yeah, it is definitely just a physical fit kind of thing from the explicit message that the car says it just can't get the locking pin to latch in. The handle is not getting in far enough for that notch in the bottom of it to allow to pin to get up in there without catching the edge of it. The sanding thing I was only half joking about wouldn't even need to be on the Supercharger handles. A pass along the inside edges of your port would smooth it out and open it up a little more to let the handles slip in easier.

I have a 2014 P85D and i use the V3 chargers all the time. They take a little more force to get into the plug but the same could be said about the V2 chargers when they came out. they are new and need a little wear and soo it'll slide in all easy like the V2 ones do. till then just use 2 hands and shove that plug in there like you're stuffing a turkey or something.

Reactions: Rocky_H