Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-heat from battery when plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone knows whether there's any way when the car pre-heats the cabin to tell it to pull the power from the battery rather than the wall when it is plugged in? Or maybe it already does this? I don't have my Model 3 yet but I know on my old ID.3, if I turned on the cabin heating via the app it would only pull the power for it from the battery when it wasn't plugged in.

Reason I'm wondering is, my cheap overnight electricity tariff runs from midnight to 5am. So if I want to leave for work at 8am, defrosting the car just before will cost me a lot more if it's pulling the energy from my home electricity supply than if it pulled it from the car's battery instead (which is filled with the cheap overnight electricity!)

Thanks!

There's no direct way, but either scheduled charging (if you have a smart wall charger), or using an app such as ev.energy to control the allowable charging times would achieve the same ends.
Thanks, that's a shame then. I do have a smart wall charger, but it ain't that smart in my opinion because when you set your off-peak times in its app all that means is that it will wait to start charging until the off-peak rate begins. But it will then continue charging until the car no longer accepts more charge. So if I set the times as midnight to 5am, it won't start charging until midnight but will keep charging past 5am if the car hasn't yet reached its charge limit, or - in this case - if the car cabin heating turns on.

I haven't heard of the ev.energy app... I'll google it to see if it's something I could add into my setup somehow to help with this.

There's no direct way, but either scheduled charging (if you have a smart wall charger), or using an app such as ev.energy to control the allowable charging times would achieve the same ends.
what he said.
If the charger is powered up the car will always try to draw power from there for everything except charging if that is scheduled.
The only workaround is to unplug or power down the charger via whatever means works for your charger.

Reactions: AutomaticMan