Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Order for Family Member

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smilepak

May 11, 2015
SoCal, CA
Now that we are getting closer for them to being deliver, I wonder if anyone explore the answer to this situation and care to share?

I am an existing Model S Owner. I submitted a reservation for two Model 3. One for myself and one for my sister-in-law (wife's sister).

When the time come, how can I transfer that over to her? The only method I am aware of is I need to add her name on the title at time of purchase, once the car is fully paid for, withdraw my name?

Is there any other methods?

Thanks,

Now that we are getting closer for them to being deliver, I wonder if anyone explore the answer to this situation and care to share?

I am an existing Model S Owner. I submitted a reservation for two Model 3. One for myself and one for my sister-in-law (wife's sister).

When the time come, how can I transfer that over to her? The only method I am aware of is I need to add her name on the title at time of purchase, once the car is fully paid for, withdraw my name?

Is there any other methods?

Thanks,
Prior written approval from Tesla will do the trick.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/model_3_reservation_agreement.pdf

I emailed tesla, someone called me back less than 24 hours later.

I mentioned the site saying transfers possible with written notice and they said they weren't doing transfers on the model 3, presumably due to the demand and potential for people to sell off their cars for profit. Not sure how knowledgeable the rep was on the topic and YMMV, but that was my takeaway from our conversation. If someone has better luck, let me know as I'm open to trying other methods. Tesla had my money for over a year, and I'm legit trying to give the reservation to family-in-law rather than it having been a waste.

If Musk can get a transfer of rights, doesn't that set precedence on transfers of reservations?

"Ira Ehrenpreis had rights to 1st car as he was 1st to place a full deposit, but gave those rights to me as my 46th bday present. Tks Ira!
5:39 PM - 8 Jul 2017"

I'm looking to transfer/gift to my officemate or daughter's godparents without compensation and still hoping that we can get them in on our current reservations instead of canceling them outright.

I don't think getting approval is quite so easy. I tried transferring mine to my father-in-law and tesla wasn't havin' it...

OP, if you have better luck -- please let me know.
I don't think it's easy to transfer reservations, simply because that's the obvious way for folks to sell their spot in line. The time to transfer is at delivery. Worst case, put your name and your inlaw's name on the title.

Reactions: NerdUno
how does this affect tax credit?

im not concerned about him not paying for the car. would i claim the credit since the reservation is in my name, add him to the title and let him insure and make payments on it?

I don't think it's easy to transfer reservations, simply because that's the obvious way for folks to sell their spot in line. The time to transfer is at delivery. Worst case, put your name and your inlaw's name on the title.

how does this affect tax credit?

im not concerned about him not paying for the car. would i claim the credit since the reservation is in my name, add him to the title and let him insure and make payments on it?
You should talk to a professional, but my understanding is that either person could claim the credit (just not both). IRS doesn't care about the reservation, only who purchases the vehicle.

Just buy it, register it, and transfer the title to your family member or whomever. Should be no out-of-pocket costs for you if your relative gives your the purchase money up front and pays for the registration and transfer of title costs.