TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pre-paid Service Plan on a Lease

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dss33, Aug 5, 2016.

1. dss33

dss33 Member

I know this has been discussed before though search wasn't bringing up much that was specific to this question.

I have a lease (15k miles/year) and we have about three weeks left before the pre-paid service plan purchase option is no longer available. It'd be $1,325 for the three-year plan.

Is it worth buying that up front? I've run through the scenarios though I'm really curious to hear peoples' actual experiences over time.

2. iwanT

iwanT Member

I leased, and I get the three-year pre-paid plan. Otherwise, I don't know any outside garage that can inspect tesla inside-out, change battery coolant, etc.

My only complain is that Fremont SC appointment wait-time is > 30 days. :(

3. jf2go

jf2go Member

I have been struggling with this decision myself. I have 2 days left to decide. The 2nd and 4th year services are more significant. It seems like Tesla is only offering an ~12% discount on pre-paid service, which is not a very attractive discount. The only real benefit would seem to be price protection against a future price increase in services. I purchased my Model S, and am thinking about skipping the pre-paid service and taking my car in for the 2nd and 4th year service. I may need to find a 3rd party for tire rotation/alignment anyway, since I have after-market wheels on my car.

4. dss33

dss33 Member

Not that alignment is super pricey, but I think if it were included (not just the alignment check), it would be an easier decision. I'm assuming with the pre-paid service, they're going to check the alignment and if you need it, charge you extra for that.

5. jf2go

jf2go Member

Agreed, although I read in another thread somewhere that they took care of the alignment for service agreement folks - even though it only says check. For me, the SC may not even offer to do a paid rotation/alignment since I have after market wheels. I hope that is not the case, because I would like service to be done through Tesla. Maybe I will have to sign a release of liability or something in case they damage my wheel.