Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-refresh S / X now officially known as “Legacy” in terms of software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but put a dang message for us to manually roll up the windows.
I’m sure there will always be (loud, lawyered up) customers that will have their car pretty wet (and thus damaged) for Tesla to prefer avoiding this kinda non-sens troubles.
You can roll the windows up from 3rd party apps just not the Tesla app. Another thing Tesla put us into Legacy awhile ago. They just don’t want to take the time to program these features in for us, they already got their 100k plus from us we’re old news.
I think there is no pinching sensor to avoid injuries. But I haven’t tried and no, do plan on trying, even with a wiener.

Been living without such “convenience” feature and still amazed at how people can get so passionate about such things. First world problem anyone?

Uh.. car wash would me useful to me? Is there some technical reason a 2016 X can't have car wash? No one is going to claim this is about screen orientation or CPU capability right?
On old S ans X you can't close automatically Windows for security raison. I you try from the apps you get an error message car wash verify if you windows is closed and close it but it's impossible on olds cars it's why we don't have this function but blind spot blinkers I really don't now WHY because when driving I can see the all video left-rear and right in live motion

I kind of wish Tesla would take a more deliberate approach

Yes.... to most aspects of their software development & strategy. Having watched earlier owners forced to dump (?v8) UI in favor of 'worse' replacements, and issues relating to updates that in all honesty seem more about masking flaws than genuinely adding real value (for most owners) I really don't see that Tesla has given more than the slightest nod towards true longevity & sustainability.

at the expense of foundational functionality.
features might be related to Vertical vs Horizontal screens
When I bought my MSR-LR I kinda knew the vertical screen's days were numbered, and given how Tesla seems to struggle with delivering even small UI changes without introducing new 'issues' I had no expectation for the vertical screen to carry on long term. You'd think it could be a good thing if they tested stuff out on latest cars and eventually let it trickle down to older models, but the process is evidently far from slick enough for that to happen.

Since features are made available by geo-location and model variant, it would surely be very simple to have a user control panel where you checked or unchecked features based on user preference. Knowing that hardware needs to keep improving and software will keep pushing the hardware (usefully or not), it doesn't take a very good crystal ball to know that today's hardware will soon be inadequate to run the latest software. I really object to having games and other clutter I will NEVER use (except in the past as a discussion point when showing people the car) contribute to my car's obselescence. One check box 'Don't install games' should free up MCU resources to keep useful updates (such as there are) useable.

The current 44.25.2 update is the first one I really don't want to install. It feels like I have finally learned how things are likely to go, and without any liklihood of ever seeing any benefits from FSD here in the UK, this other stuff is just fiddling around IMO - not for my benefit but to allow Tesla to claim they are keeping their fleet up to date! Any talk about Tesla focussing resources on the latest models etc is nonsense while FSD continues to be such a prominent part of their offering - and not delivered at all in some markets (as in EAP already offered most if not all the same functions).

In all honesty, I will not pay what Tesla are asking for the refresh Model S, so the 'lagacy' car (Freudian typo?!) I bought towards the end of its life was the only way I would own a Tesla. Since I could still sell my car for a very reasonable price, I can't complain. But I am in no doubt that Tesla is NOT leading the way to some kind of sustainable personal transport future and I find that quite a sobering thought.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Boza
It's an odd feeling that I'm bummed my new car is already legacy and that features they could give me, they won't. But based on previous experience and reports of how slow vision-based self park is, I would be frustrated if they did give it to me!

So I guess the are doing me a favor?! :confused:
Legacy Model S/X don't get vision based autopark either, even though green was able to enable it on a rooted Model S.

Another Tesla feature gone. One reason to buy a Tesla was the continuous software improvements and new features. Looks like Tesla is changes hardware in the same pace as normal PCs meaning compatibility/CPU issues develop within months. One year old Tesla's are not getting the latest updates anymore.

After 3 Tesla's I can say I went from:
- free supercharging
- free mobile connections
- good service
- Tesla dedicated Superchargers
- Significant software upgrades
to
- no free supercharging
- connectivity subscription
- poor service
- Superchargers for every EV
- Significant software updates only for the latest models

Only think that seems to be stable and did not change is the very bad build quality. Not sure if Tesla can be proud of this....

Only think that seems to be stable and did not change is the very bad build quality. Not sure if Tesla can be proud of this....

The car development model is still very, very agile and it hasn't changed much either. We just polled several hundred cars at our local tesla owners club here and turns out that the Octovalve has left over 30% of the 3/Ys ever delivered stranded as the car cannot be driven without heat in the cold weather. 30% in less than one year! Mind boggling. They will all fail. The issue also has not been fixed, even brand new cars are still experiencing the very same stuff.

The car development model is still very, very agile.......
'agile' or may be fragile? ;)
even brand new cars are still experiencing the very same stuff.

I hate the model where brand-new is old as soon as you buy it! This happens all the time. Talk to any sales person. Even when old spec = new spec they will talk as though new has all those old problems fixed.

With Tesla, the service centre staff just say anything. My MS has been reporting random windows down since the app was capable of providing that info. Of course the error goes away when you recalibrate the windows, but unless you recalibrate every time you close, the false messages come back! Supposedly it was an app problem and to be fixed soon..... several app versions ago. Confidence and trust are hard to earn and easy to lose.

The car development model is still very, very agile and it hasn't changed much either. We just polled several hundred cars at our local tesla owners club here and turns out that the Octovalve has left over 30% of the 3/Ys ever delivered stranded as the car cannot be driven without heat in the cold weather. 30% in less than one year! Mind boggling. They will all fail. The issue also has not been fixed, even brand new cars are still experiencing the very same stuff.
Never heard the octovalve had so many issues.

However I don't see how the blind spot camera feature would really affect resources in any meaningful way ... I can already drive around with 3 cameras displaying at all times without any issue.
Just making it pop up with the turn signal wouldn't be an issue.

Skipping safety features like this in favor of games to me is what doesn't make any sense.
+1

100% agree

Reactions: pilotSteve