Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-refresh S / X now officially known as “Legacy” in terms of software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it’s incredibly frustrating that owners of vehicles delivered as late as January 2021 are now owners of $100k+, single digit mileage, “legacy” cars.

What are your thoughts on this? It seems these features could be added to vertical screen vehicles but Tesla has no incentive to do so, leaving some owners in the dust with almost brand new cars.

Well that puts another nail in the coffin of my plan to consider a used Model S for our second EV. I'll be watching what happens with future software updates closely. Guess we'll be staying on ICE for our low mileage second car for a while yet and seeing what else develops up in the EV market.

I'd guess that the Tesla software team are in "branching hell" having to support 3 different screen layouts on top of dozens of hardware and specification changes over years. One obvious way to cut the amount of work is by minimising UI changes for the lower volume 'legacy' cars. Adding new apps to the arcade and toybox section of a Model S is probably a much easier change than modifying the car UI and adding functionality like a blind spot camera. Continually improving manufacturing design rather than phased model refreshes every few years really adds to the complexity of software updates.

It still stinks that a year old $100K Model S is a legacy car but a 2018 Model 3 at originally $40K is not. Sadly this kind of crappy purchase timing luck often happens in tech and there's deliberately no advance warning that you're about to buy into a technological dead end because it will hurt short term sales while the new product is being developed.

I don't buy the argument that we shouldn't complain because other car brands don't get any updates at all. Tesla are using car software updates as a powerful marketing tool and it's working. I'd guess that planned obsolescence is not much of a motivation *yet* as Tesla still can't make cars quickly enough to meet demand.

Years ago I bought an eye wateringly expensive iPhone 3G. The initial OS was crashy and buggy. The first OS update was stable but limited. The second OS update was pretty much unusably unstable. Apple then abandoned users on an unstable OS with no OS upgrade or downgrade path or support for newer applications and deleted older compatible application versions from the app store. I shifted platforms to Android and never returned. Apple produce beautiful and highly usable products but they obsolete older products very aggressively. I would argue that they are deliberately producing electronic waste at a highly accelerated rate as part of their core business model.

Some people may well decide to move away from Tesla if they obsolete cars too aggressively especially if other car manufacturers catch up on the software side. The issue of support for older products is a delicate balancing act for any tech company.

I was going to create a whole new thread about my early-2021 Model X 'Legacy" and the new 2021.44.25.6 software and v10.8 FSD Beta, with multiple screenshots compared the new screens with the old. But decided against another thread... Here, in a nutshell:
  • Trepidation about updating due to the many TMC Forum criticisms.
  • But loaded it (Tuesday night) and drove (50 miles on surface streets Wednesday) with zero problems.
  • Screen appearances are similar if not identical to previous (portrait) screens.
  • My left (clock) and right (tire pressure) display "tiles" on the driver's-side dash display are still there. Yes!
  • Speed limit sign graphics are still present with FSD enabled or not.
  • Haven't tested FSD Beta extensively, but it is no worse than v10.6.1, and probably a little more stable.
  • Haven't fiddled with the center-display bottom icons, but I see no major problem. (I ignore most of that stuff anyway.)
  • My only major complaints remain the lack of the blind-spot camera display and Sentry Mode live camera access (which I knew ahead of time).
So in conclusion, switching to the new software was (so far) painless for me. Perhaps the difference is due to the portrait display and "older" hardware (early 2021, for crying out loud).

Reactions: AustinP and xxMxx
I was going to create a whole new thread about my early-2021 Model X 'Legacy" and the new 2021.44.25.6 software and v10.8 FSD Beta, with multiple screenshots compared the new screens with the old. But decided against another thread... Here, in a nutshell:
FYI, you can swipe up along *any*where* on the bottom of the screen to bring up the whole HVAC dialog box. Or pressing an up/down arrow it will bring up a mini-HVAC dialog box (yellow box below). --- eek I need to get out my microfiber cloth.
WaFtXvf.jpg

Actually I found a major plus to the new UI on my legacy S. I'm in the minority I guess and like the browser. First thing I noticed it could only take up half the screen - Tesla just wants the map up all of the time. But in a single ride test it was actually stable and didn't crash. Made Waze, Android Auto, and ABRB as viable options again. Hopefully that aspect is not an anomaly. So for that alone it's worthwhile to me and I can adjust to the lousy layout.

Actually I found a major plus to the new UI on my legacy S. I'm in the minority I guess and like the browser. First thing I noticed it could only take up half the screen - Tesla just wants the map up all of the time. But in a single ride test it was actually stable and didn't crash. Made Waze, Android Auto, and ABRB as viable options again. Hopefully that aspect is not an anomaly. So for that alone it's worthwhile to me and I can adjust to the lousy layout.
FYI, various tweets and news from Elon that they are adjusting the UI ... after getting a lot of feedback.
qDSmXMc.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: xxMxx and Nujec
  • Trepidation about updating due to the many TMC Forum criticisms.
  • But loaded it (Tuesday night) and drove (50 miles on surface streets Wednesday) with zero problems.
  • Screen appearances are similar if not identical to previous (portrait) screens.
  • My left (clock) and right (tire pressure) display "tiles" on the driver's-side dash display are still there. Yes!
  • Speed limit sign graphics are still present with FSD enabled or not.
  • Haven't tested FSD Beta extensively, but it is no worse than v10.6.1, and probably a little more stable.
  • Haven't fiddled with the center-display bottom icons, but I see no major problem. (I ignore most of that stuff anyway.)
  • My only major complaints remain the lack of the blind-spot camera display and Sentry Mode live camera access (which I knew ahead of time).
So in conclusion, switching to the new software was (so far) painless for me. Perhaps the difference is due to the portrait display and "older" hardware (early 2021, for crying out loud).
We have a late 2020 model X and I don't understand why we can not get the blind-spot camera, Sentry mode live camera & the new Christmas Show.
The model X does a great Christmas show with the falcon-wing doors and the new one should work???? Will we ever get it?

Reactions: xxMxx
Well that puts another nail in the coffin of my plan to consider a used Model S for our second EV. I'll be watching what happens with future software updates closely. Guess we'll be staying on ICE for our low mileage second car for a while yet and seeing what else develops up in the EV market.

I'd guess that the Tesla software team are in "branching hell" having to support 3 different screen layouts on top of dozens of hardware and specification changes over years. One obvious way to cut the amount of work is by minimising UI changes for the lower volume 'legacy' cars. Adding new apps to the arcade and toybox section of a Model S is probably a much easier change than modifying the car UI and adding functionality like a blind spot camera. Continually improving manufacturing design rather than phased model refreshes every few years really adds to the complexity of software updates.

It still stinks that a year old $100K Model S is a legacy car but a 2018 Model 3 at originally $40K is not. Sadly this kind of crappy purchase timing luck often happens in tech and there's deliberately no advance warning that you're about to buy into a technological dead end because it will hurt short term sales while the new product is being developed.

I don't buy the argument that we shouldn't complain because other car brands don't get any updates at all. Tesla are using car software updates as a powerful marketing tool and it's working. I'd guess that planned obsolescence is not much of a motivation *yet* as Tesla still can't make cars quickly enough to meet demand.

Years ago I bought an eye wateringly expensive iPhone 3G. The initial OS was crashy and buggy. The first OS update was stable but limited. The second OS update was pretty much unusably unstable. Apple then abandoned users on an unstable OS with no OS upgrade or downgrade path or support for newer applications and deleted older compatible application versions from the app store. I shifted platforms to Android and never returned. Apple produce beautiful and highly usable products but they obsolete older products very aggressively. I would argue that they are deliberately producing electronic waste at a highly accelerated rate as part of their core business model.

Some people may well decide to move away from Tesla if they obsolete cars too aggressively especially if other car manufacturers catch up on the software side. The issue of support for older products is a delicate balancing act for any tech company.
2020 Model X Long Range Dual Motor/ with FSD Beta. Will, we ever get the blind spot camera and Sentry mode view, upcoming Christmas shows? We have the cameras, speakers, and other hardware needed. why not update the software? We are helping with the beta FSD software every time we drive the car. I went to my neighbors to show the new Christmas show to him and 10 kids but they were disappointed that it was the same show as last year. The car costs twice as much as the new Model 3's that have the update. Frustrated, but looking forward to a happy tesla stock to the moon 2022.

Last edited:

So odd. So far it seems to me nosecone = no x-ray photo of the car, with the ability to set the charge limit. Every example I have seen of AP2.5/AP3 has the same screen you are showing here. And any pre-AP/AP1 (with the MCU2 upgrade as that is needed for this update) I have seen does not have that. Hopefully someone chimes in to prove my theory wrong here. But so far that's the pattern I have seen
Nosecone owner here. Indeed missing the possibility to set battery charge level in car.
I sent a picture to our service center, so I expect it to come back in one of the next updates.

If you haven’t seen, Tesla recently released the V11 software update for all models and with that update Tesla has confirmed that S and X models as late as model year 2021 are now “legacy” and it seems a lot of new software features will not be coming to these cars in the future regardless of if there is no hardware restriction.

See the link below and the bottom of the page for reference:

The features currently unavailable are:

- Sentry Live Mode Camera View
- Blind Spot Camera
- Automatic Seat Heaters
- Lightshow
- Car Wash Mode

Possibly a few others that I’m missing.

I think it’s incredibly frustrating that owners of vehicles delivered as late as January 2021 are now owners of $100k+, single digit mileage, “legacy” cars.

What are your thoughts on this? It seems these features could be added to vertical screen vehicles but Tesla has no incentive to do so, leaving some owners in the dust with almost brand new cars.
I have a 2021 Model S delivered in Dec 2020 with 4K miles and I am very angry that all these features are missing!

My Founders X with mcu2 upgrade looks like screen 3 ofJohn Rambo on page 5 of this thread. When the update just came out, I spent an hour with Tesla Tech on the phone trying to get the car/battery icon back. The conclusion was that I needed to take it in for Service so that could uninstall and reinstall the update. It appears that I am not the only one with the problem. Fingers crossed that the next upadate will return the battery/car icons so I can set charge levels on the touch screen instead of the app which I am doing now as a workaround.

But where is the stealth invisible car graphic (with its four wheels). No good without that. 🙂
I guess when they found out, they scrambled to fix this on time for the next release, usually 2-3 weeks sprints. And they prioritized the function over the look. Pretty sure the car graphic will be back in one of the next updates.
Really good actually to fix it so fast.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
I don't know how many so-called legacy Model S/X owner is out there but I believe if we create a group and file a petition, we can force Tesla to add BSM and live sentry mode available for all of us, what do you think?

Right now, I'd be happy with just having basic Sentry Mode and Dashcam video recording capability (my USB data ports have not been working since December).

I don't know about forcing Tesla--maybe "encourage?"

But I do have a 'legacy' (2021) Model X. I'll be your first second sign up.

I would like the blind spot mirror and Sentry Mode live camera access, if at all possible.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Right now, I'd be happy with just having basic Sentry Mode and Dashcam video recording capability (my USB data ports have not been working since December).

I don't know about forcing Tesla--maybe "encourage?"

But I do have a 'legacy' (2021) Model X. I'll be your first second sign up.

I would like the blind spot mirror and Sentry Mode live camera access, if at all possible.
Model X Convoy to Fremont? 😀

I don't know how many so-called legacy Model S/X owner is out there but I believe if we create a group and file a petition, we can force Tesla to add BSM and live sentry mode available for all of us, what do you think?
I'd love it if it would work, but I wouldn't be optimistic. I don't really want that much the blind spot camera pop up, but Sentry Mode Live is a big added security feature that we are lacking, even though our cars are capable of doing it. I wish they would add that one.

Do all Legacy S/X have free premium connectivity for life? I know that our 2016 does, but do the newer ones have it too? It could be an issue of only giving Sentry Mode Live to cars with paid connectivity to help cover Tesla's costs & excluding cars with free premium connectivity from it.