Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning on 120v...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VandalSibs

I am One with the Force, and the Force is with me
Oct 28, 2019
Spokane, WA
Question on preconditioning on 120v power...

My SR+ gets back all of the power I use in my 50-ish mile round trip commute overnight on a 120v/15amp plug in my apartment's garage. I charge to 80%.

What I'm wondering is, does the car restrict the amount of 'climate control' to what shore power can provide, or does it balance between shore power and battery power?

What I'm wondering is, does the car restrict the amount of 'climate control' to what shore power can provide, or does it balance between shore power and battery power?

I've not observed any difference in preconditioning itself between being plugged into an l1 outlet and an l2 one. The car will draw what it needs without restraint in both cases. I've seen preconditioning draw as much as 9 kW in my car, and it happily dipped into the battery for the 8 out of those 9 that an l1 connection wasn't able to supply.

Argh.
Conditioning by definition comes from the battery.
Nonsense. Conditioning just means running heaters. This energy can (and does) come from various sources.
There is no such thing as shore power.
WTF? Of course there is. That is the outlet the car is plugged into and draws energy from.

At 120 volts there’s no way the battery can keep up, especially when it’s cold.
All of this is just basic subtraction of power levels. For a regular 5-15 outlet, it can only supply 1.4 kW of ongoing power draw. If the car is running some kind of heating for cabin or battery preconditioning, and that is consuming 4 or 6 or more kW, then sure, it is going to draw all of that 1.4kW from the "shore power" connection and also take whatever else it needs in addition from the battery too.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bwettt
Argh.

Nonsense. Conditioning just means running heaters. This energy can (and does) come from various sources.

WTF? Of course there is. That is the outlet the car is plugged into and draws energy from.

All of this is just basic subtraction of power levels. For a regular 5-15 outlet, it can only supply 1.4 kW of ongoing power draw. If the car is running some kind of heating for cabin or battery preconditioning, and that is consuming 4 or 6 or more kW, then sure, it is going to draw all of that 1.4kW from the "shore power" connection and also take whatever else it needs in addition from the battery too.

Sounds like you guys are saying the same thing. Just arguing if A/C power goes the charger to the heater, or from charger to battery and then to heater.