Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predict speed of Tesla charging on CCS 350kW charger (with adapter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless tesla moves to superconductors as the charging cable the anything higher than 150Kw will require super thick cable at 400V.

The V3 SuC cable will be liquid-cooled, so the bottleneck shifts to the car's uncooled internal wiring, where P = I^2*R gives the heat loss.

The MS/X cables are of copper, whereas M3's are of aluminium, a material with 58% higher resistivity, thus need to be thicker to handle the same load.

It is unclear what max current the MS/X cables can handle, but if same as M3 then the battery/cooling comes into question. M3 has several parallel coolant flows whereas MS/X has a single ribbon contacting all cells.

My guess is the 100D pack should manage ~185kW.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The V3 SuC cable will be liquid-cooled, so the bottleneck shifts to the car's uncooled internal wiring, where P = I^2*R gives the heat loss.

The MS/X cables are of copper, whereas M3's are of aluminium, a material with 58% higher resistivity, thus need to be thicker to handle the same load.

It is unclear what max current the MS/X cables can handle, but if same as M3 then the battery/cooling comes into question. M3 has several parallel coolant flows whereas MS/X has a single ribbon contacting all cells.

My guess is the 100D pack should manage ~185kW.
It is well known that the cables in the Model S (likely X too) from the charge port to the junction box area are much smaller than the Model 3. This is probably the main reason that the Model 3 will have a higher peak charging rate than the older platform. Fall 2019 is a rumored timeframe for S & X refresh.