Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predicting Battery Sizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of talk in videos about 1366 4680 cells, does not make sense. Am I missing something? Misheard? Not divisible properly unless I am missing something…
1366/2 =683…which is prime. Not good.

7:30 here:

Also posted on Twitter by Baglino that for 400V, pack is split in half. Must keep balance!

Background:
I don’t think anyone ever worked out the WAY underperforming 67kWh Model Y AWD 4680 pack.

Summary post: '2022 Model Y 4680 Structural Pack is "Amazing", Says Munro & Associates'
2022 Model Y 4680 Structural Pack is "Amazing", Says Munro & Associates
Apparently 92s9p, 67kWh pack capacity. Depop 1 out of 9? No one knows (pack not light enough for that?) Only 81Wh per 4680 if fully populated; terrible, or software limited. Info needed here since 81Wh is lower than expected (91Wh might be better?).

I can think of a few configurations close to 1366, but there are limitations due to bandolier structure and module structure, on what is actually possible. Have not accounted for all that below:

1376 = 2*8*86 (361V/722V (max voltages, not how they will be referred to, seems to be about 86%, so 310V/620V))
Would require 94Wh per 4680
86 not divisible by 4…no idea module count…

1344 = 2*7*96 (402V/804V aka 350V/700V) same as Model 3 voltage.
96Wh per 4680
Maybe. How would it be built though? Depopulate bandoliers?

1344 = 2*8*84

1656 - 2*9*92 - two Model Y packs using same structure. Way too big. If it had Model Y terrible density it would be close, 135kWh. But still too big.

Anyway. If anyone has seen this worked out, please post.

What is bandolier size?
From form the CT forum RVAC:
I'm thinking Cammisa might have meant to say 1386 cells? With two modules that are 8-cell wide and two modules 6-cell wide. That would be a pack longer than 92" though, could also be 1360 cells in four modules that are 8-cell wide.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
FYI from GhostAndSkaterr post:

"More info we can extrapolate from the EPA data for the Cybertruck
Pretty much confirmed 220S6S battery, or 1320 cells"

Only problem (with this assuming 1366 is actually right), is how are those 46 cells configured for the 48V?

I could not make it work.

Lots of assumptions here of course.

Lots of signs pointing to the 123kWh rather than 129kWh but as discussed that is weird too.

Only problem (with this assuming 1366 is actually right), is how are those 46 cells configured for the 48V?
I could not make it work.
Lots of assumptions here of course.
Lots of signs pointing to the 123kWh rather than 129kWh but as discussed that is weird too.
Related:
Tweet question to GhostAndSkaterr : "Are you assuming 25Ah cell?"
We can work it backwards, assuming the cells was the wrong way, but the document gives us energy directly
220S for 816 V is 3.709 cells nominal voltage, with 1320 cells and 122.4 kWh (816 V x 150 Ah), each is 92.73 Wh
From all that, each cells is exactly 25 Ah
Or also, 150 Ah and 6 cells in parallel also gives 25 Ah each

Related:
Tweet question to GhostAndSkaterr : "Are you assuming 25Ah cell?"

Yeah that all makes sense, and 220s6p seems quite conceivable as I said elsewhere. It certainly seems like 6p is for sure, given the approximate voltage (around 924V - 940V max).

Only minor issues:
a)
As I said, 1366, if it is the correct number, doesn't seem to work with this. That leaves 46 cells (1366-220*6) for the 48V system. Only choice is 23s2p which obviously doesn't work at all. Obviously the 1366 number could just not include the 48V system at all, though (48V done with prismatic cells or whatever), and the remaining 46 cells are blanks or something. Or 1366 is just wrong.
b)
110s is called "400V" for the Plaid. So why would 220s be 816V? (Or was it 410V? Can look it up…)
c)
224s6p works better for the "48V inside the pack" issue. (224s6p (main pack) + 11s*2p (48V))

For modules I am not sure which one works better without detailed dimensions of cooling tubes, etc. Model Y 4680 pack was 92s9p. 4 modules of 23 series alongside each other lengthwise (4*23 = 92).
Dimensions: Length: 23 series cells ends up about 35 cells long (2/3 of 35 is about 23) because they're tied in staggered groups of 9 (of width 6!!!), shown here. Width: Ends up being width 6 for 9 cells in parallel. (6 in parallel as in CT will be 4 cells in width)

110 factors as 2*5*11. 112 factors as 2*2*2*2*7.

110s:
So you only have the choice of 5 modules really per each sub pack with 110s (you could do 2 as well but then you end up with very long and skinny). Each module of 22 series cells would be about the same length as the Model Y; about 33 cells long rather than 35. But width would be too skinny; just 4*5 = 20 cells wide compared to Model Y 24 cells wide. Won't work; we need about 28-32 cell width!

This could be rotated and placed perpendicular to travel direction. 33 series cells might just fit across CT with margin?
So then you'd have 5 modules placed crossways across the truck, times two. Coolant flow might not be ideal this way?

But I think it could work, without going through detailed dimensions.

112s:
Go with 8 modules of length 14.
Width is going to be 4*8 = 32 cells (each 6p module is 4 cells wide). Might work if they make the cooling tubes & pack overhead tighter (otherwise will be too wide). Compare to 24 cells wide in Model Y, plus overhead.

Length of each sub-pack is about 21 cells (14s cells goes to 21 length; in Model Y 23s was about 35 cells long). So two end to end would be 42 cells in length (Cybertruck) vs. 35 cells in length (Model Y). That seems like it would fit easily (wheelbase is ~150 inches vs. 113 for model Y)

114s: (works out to be 1368, 114s*6*2). 48V is not composed of 4680s. 1366 is wrong (should have been 1368).
Could work with modules, six modules of 19s6p. Length about 29 cells, could be laid across the vehicle, which would fit the width (maybe too short). The width of the sub pack would then be about 24 cells (6 of 4-wide rather than 4 of 6-wide), similar to Model Y.
I think this ends up being too narrow and too long for the truck?

Anyway hard to know which one works from a practical standpoint without a good model of the dimensions. If you have that it is possibly easier to see which one works better. There is that other thread you pointed to. They can probably work it out.

Not all modules have to be the same - another complication not covered here. So many options.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I don't have anything to say about the rest of the issues, but the palladium S docs say 410v, palladium X says 408v

S: https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=57010&flag=1
X: https://dis.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=56731&flag=1

In theory both cars should have the same batteries in reality. So 110s should work for 816v.
The existence of 110s already does seems to speak to them just doing that again. The only issue is that might work fine for 18650 but maybe the dimensions don’t quite work out right for 4680.

I assume the 110s is done with 5 modules? I guess if so they just duplicate that.

It does make sense. Seems like 220 probably works. The dimensions I mention in that post just must work out.

But then there is talk about there being four “200V” pieces.

Who knows. It’s like reading tea leaves because it is hard to tell what info (1366 cells, four 200V packs) is correct.

I would imagine 220s6p (~93Wh per cell). Split into 4 banks of 110s6p (two in parallel, two in series) or 4 banks of 55s6p (all 4 in series)

Model S/X is 110s72p. Googling, it does appear to be 5 banks of 22s72p to make a 110p module

Tesla-Model-S-Palid-Cell-Orientation-Bottom-Side.webp

Yeah that all makes sense, and 220s6p seems quite conceivable as I said elsewhere. It certainly seems like 6p is for sure, given the approximate voltage (around 924V - 940V max).

Only minor issues:
a)
As I said, 1366, if it is the correct number, doesn't seem to work with this. That leaves 46 cells (1366-220*6) for the 48V system. Only choice is 23s2p which obviously doesn't work at all. Obviously the 1366 number could just not include the 48V system at all, though (48V done with prismatic cells or whatever), and the remaining 46 cells are blanks or something. Or 1366 is just wrong.
b)
110s is called "400V" for the Plaid. So why would 220s be 816V? (Or was it 410V? Can look it up…)
c)
224s6p works better for the "48V inside the pack" issue. (224s6p (main pack) + 11s*2p (48V))

For modules I am not sure which one works better without detailed dimensions of cooling tubes, etc. Model Y 4680 pack was 92s9p. 4 modules of 23 series alongside each other lengthwise (4*23 = 92).
Dimensions: Length: 23 series cells ends up about 35 cells long (2/3 of 35 is about 23) because they're tied in staggered groups of 9 (of width 6!!!), shown here. Width: Ends up being width 6 for 9 cells in parallel. (6 in parallel as in CT will be 4 cells in width)

110 factors as 2*5*11. 112 factors as 2*2*2*2*7.

110s:
So you only have the choice of 5 modules really per each sub pack with 110s (you could do 2 as well but then you end up with very long and skinny). Each module of 22 series cells would be about the same length as the Model Y; about 33 cells long rather than 35. But width would be too skinny; just 4*5 = 20 cells wide compared to Model Y 24 cells wide. Won't work; we need about 28-32 cell width!

This could be rotated and placed perpendicular to travel direction. 33 series cells might just fit across CT with margin?
So then you'd have 5 modules placed crossways across the truck, times two. Coolant flow might not be ideal this way?

But I think it could work, without going through detailed dimensions.

112s:
Go with 8 modules of length 14.
Width is going to be 4*8 = 32 cells (each 6p module is 4 cells wide). Might work if they make the cooling tubes & pack overhead tighter (otherwise will be too wide). Compare to 24 cells wide in Model Y, plus overhead.

Length of each sub-pack is about 21 cells (14s cells goes to 21 length; in Model Y 23s was about 35 cells long). So two end to end would be 42 cells in length (Cybertruck) vs. 35 cells in length (Model Y). That seems like it would fit easily (wheelbase is ~150 inches vs. 113 for model Y)

114s: (works out to be 1368, 114s*6*2). 48V is not composed of 4680s. 1366 is wrong (should have been 1368).
Could work with modules, six modules of 19s6p. Length about 29 cells, could be laid across the vehicle, which would fit the width (maybe too short). The width of the sub pack would then be about 24 cells (6 of 4-wide rather than 4 of 6-wide), similar to Model Y.
I think this ends up being too narrow and too long for the truck?

Anyway hard to know which one works from a practical standpoint without a good model of the dimensions. If you have that it is possibly easier to see which one works better. There is that other thread you pointed to. They can probably work it out.

Not all modules have to be the same - another complication not covered here. So many options.

First thing I did was try to line up 48 V LV batteries with that number, even two 48 V batteries for redundancy, nothing lined up so 1366 must be wrong and also not including the 48 V LV battery, then I started expanding the search to see what would fit, and in the end 220S6P lines up perfectly, specially with EPA data out now

220S7P would also work if not for the EPA data, because with 122.4 kWh, it would mean each cells is 79.48 Wh, which in considerably worse than gen 1 4680s and doesn't line up with Drew comments of 10% higher energy density

It seems like the gen 2 4680s are 92.7 Wh, or 7% improvement in energy. If the 10% comment is accurate, it also means the cells are 344 g, vs 355 g before, so 269 Wh/kg

in the end 220S6P lines up perfectly, specially with EPA data out now

Would be cool to see a footprint of how it fits, using dimensions and approximate structure from Model Y AWD. Relatively easy once you have the building blocks of a diagram (Model Y pack size and layout is well understood), but I don’t have time for that!

Model Y uses only top cell connections, I think.

Why not 224s6p? That leaves 22, 11s2p, for the “48V” if that design (4680s for the 48V) is being used. It’s close to 48V!

Anyway doesn’t matter, we’ll find out eventually.

Would be cool to see a footprint of how it fits, using dimensions and approximate structure from Model Y AWD. Relatively easy once you have the building blocks of a diagram (Model Y pack size and layout is well understood), but I don’t have time for that!

Model Y uses only top cell connections, I think.

Why not 224s6p? That leaves 22, 11s2p, for the “48V” if that design (4680s for the 48V) is being used. It’s close to 48V!

Anyway doesn’t matter, we’ll find out eventually.

Oh so you mean the 48 V pack integrated into the pack? That is a nice idea, don't know if good or bad in terms of redundancy, specially with the steer by wire, might be good to have two power sources, as in, if the HV pack fails catastrophically, the 48 V LV battery is in another location safely providing steering, and if the 48 V LV fails catastrophically, the DC/DC converter can provide 48 V for the steering

Or there might be two LV batteries for redundancy

For pack layout, each of the 4 "modules" have to have a pair number of row for the cooling channels, 6 cells like on the 4680 Model Y seems too narrow, but possible

8 would mean a pack that is too square and doesn't fit the pictures we've seem, so a Model Y arrangement but longer seem plausible, but maybe too long

6 cells like on the 4680 Model Y seems too narrow
It’s (MY) 6 cells wide per module with a cooling snake down each bandolier pair. That gives 9 cells parallel due to wiring pattern using 3 cells for each 2 cells making up the width.

Cybertruck if using same collector wiring scheme would be 4 wide per “sub module” with two cooling snakes.

But there are so many permutations and possible enhancements it is hard to know what we will get.

Oh so you mean the 48 V pack integrated into the pack?
Yeah I think biggest issue is HV isolation when sharing coolant loop, but still seems like there might be ways with heat exchangers or something. Best part is no part!

I’m not suggesting it is done that way. We just have to wait and see.

Reactions: GhostSkater
It’s (MY) 6 cells wide per module with a cooling snake down each bandolier pair. That gives 9 cells parallel due to wiring pattern using 3 cells for each 2 cells making up the width.

Cybertruck if using same collector wiring scheme would be 4 wide per “sub module” with two cooling snakes.

But there are so many permutations and possible enhancements it is hard to know what we will get.

Yeah I think biggest issue is HV isolation when sharing coolant loop, but still seems like there might be ways with heat exchangers or something. Best part is no part!

I’m not suggesting it is done that way. We just have to wait and see.

Not even worthy trying to draw since hopefully we will see one tire apart pretty soon

I don’t think they will have cooling for the LV battery, even if it’s inside the pack

Or better put, if the 48 V needs cooling it will be inside the pack, which honestly make sense because I tried but couldn’t spot a LV battery in any of the pics, not even where it would go

Could Tesla have ditched it altogether? Best part is no part, it’s possible to design a DC/DC converter that is efficient in high and lower power drain, as in vehicle at idle vs steer by wire working at full power

Not totally related, but I worked with some inverters that have stand by current draw lower than the self discharge of a lithium cell, different scenario because stand by meant zero output, not a few 10s or 100s W at idle

I don’t think they will have cooling for the LV battery,
For heating primarily. I have no idea how they manage the prismatic cells in current “12V” but maybe they do not need to be above freezing to charge. Or it heats itself. No idea. It’s not probably necessary to share a loop as long as it can heat itself somehow. (If using 4680 NCA.)
Could Tesla have ditched it altogether?
I think the big issue with entirely ditching it is ensuring that complete HV isolation is possible. For that you need to be able to open/close contactors which requires a power source.

Reactions: GhostSkater
For heating primarily. I have no idea how they manage the prismatic cells in current “12V” but maybe they do not need to be above freezing to charge. Or it heats itself. No idea. It’s not probably necessary to share a loop as long as it can heat itself somehow. (If using 4680 NCA.)

I think the big issue with entirely ditching it is ensuring that complete HV isolation is possible. For that you need to be able to open/close contactors which requires a power source.

Good points, I had seen the datasheet for the cells they use there floating around a while ago, and there was a allowable charging current even bellow freezing, different than most cells

That is true, if you lose isolation and have to open contactors you lose LV power