Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Even before the current conflict in Ukraine, Krynytskyi, the Ukrainian activist, was wary of nuclear energy. His environmental group has historically pushed to phase out both fossil fuels and nuclear energy. Ukraine is more reliant on nuclear power than nearly any other nation in the world. But the nuclear power plants that supply about half the nation’s electricity are now at unprecedented risk. Its largest plant, Zaporizhzhia, has already survived Russian shelling. Fires have reportedly also broken out at Zaporizhzhia, and Chernobyl, already the site of the worst nuclear power plant disaster in history — both of which have been seized by Russia.

“When the whole country and the whole world is shaking, thinking about what will happen in Ukraine with nuclear power plants,” Krynytskyi says. “Look what can happen here. You need to phase it out.”
Yet Elon Musk thinks it's insane to be against nuclear.
He's called on Germany to turn plants back on.
But what does Elon Musk know about being green anyway?

Yet Elon Musk thinks it's insane to be against nuclear.
He's called on Germany to turn plants back on.
But what does Elon Musk know about being green anyway?

There’s a world of difference between advocating for new nuclear vs existing. Extending the life of existing nuclear makes some sense for a few more years. Spending $15B to build a new 1GW reactor does not.

There’s a world of difference between advocating for new nuclear vs existing. Extending the life of existing nuclear makes some sense for a few more years. Spending $15B to build a new 1GW reactor does not.
Musk: I want to be super clear. You should not only not shut down the nuclear power plants, but you should also reopen the ones that have already shut down. Those are the fastest to produce energy. It is crazy to shut down nuclear power plants now, especially if you are in a place where there are no natural disasters. If you are somewhere where severe earthquakes or tsunamis occur, it is more of a question mark. If there is no massive natural disaster risk-which Germany does not have-then there is really no danger with the nuclear power plants.

AND

Musk is so certain that there is little risk from relying on nuclear power that he is willing to go to a “high-radiation” area and “eat locally grown food on TV.”

“Hopefully, it is now extremely obvious that Europe should restart dormant nuclear power stations and increase power output of existing ones,” the Tesla CEO tweeted on Sunday night.

“This is *critical* to national and international security.”

AND

Elon Musk: Nuclear energy is safe​

“I think modern nuclear power plants are safe contrary to what people may think,” the Tesla and SpaceX CEO said at the conference, adding “I really think it’s possible to make very, extremely safe nuclear.”

“People should really think positively of nuclear energy,” Musk stated. “I’ve been surpised by a movement away from nuclear energy. The reality is that it’s quite safe. My considered opinion is that they do not present a danger.”

AND

“We should build more nuclear power plants” Elon Musk​

"'We should build more nuclear power plants,' said Musk in an interview with PBS. 'I think that's a better way to generate energy than certainly a coal power plant or a natural gas power plant.' Unlike coal or natural gas power plants, nuclear power doesn't need to burn fuel to create heat, since it's powered by nuclear fission. 'We should build more nuclear power plants.'

Musk: I want to be super clear. You should not only not shut down the nuclear power plants, but you should also reopen the ones that have already shut down. Those are the fastest to produce energy. It is crazy to shut down nuclear power plants now, especially if you are in a place where there are no natural disasters. If you are somewhere where severe earthquakes or tsunamis occur, it is more of a question mark. If there is no massive natural disaster risk-which Germany does not have-then there is really no danger with the nuclear power plants.

AND

Musk is so certain that there is little risk from relying on nuclear power that he is willing to go to a “high-radiation” area and “eat locally grown food on TV.”

“Hopefully, it is now extremely obvious that Europe should restart dormant nuclear power stations and increase power output of existing ones,” the Tesla CEO tweeted on Sunday night.

AND

“I think modern nuclear power plants are safe contrary to what people may think,” the Tesla and SpaceX CEO said at the conference, adding “I really think it’s possible to make very, extremely safe nuclear.”

“People should really think positively of nuclear energy,” Musk stated. “I’ve been surpised by a movement away from nuclear energy. The reality is that it’s quite safe. My considered opinion is that they do not present a danger.”

AND

"'We should build more nuclear power plants,' said Musk in an interview with PBS. 'I think that's a better way to generate energy than certainly a coal power plant or a natural gas power plant.' Unlike coal or natural gas power plants, nuclear power doesn't need to burn fuel to create heat, since it's powered by nuclear fission. 'We should build more nuclear power plants.'
If he really thinks it's safe, he should go to Chernobyl. It's a high radiation area where the Russian solders who took it over are getting sick from radiation poisoning.
Also, nuclear plants do burn fuel. It's nuclear fuel which has to be mined, refined and transported then stored in a secure facility "forever" after its brief 18 months of burning in a reactor.

If he really thinks it's safe, he should go to Chernobyl. It's a high radiation area where the Russian solders who took it over are getting sick from radiation poisoning.
Also, nuclear plants do burn fuel. It's nuclear fuel which has to be mined, refined and transported then stored in a secure facility "forever" after its brief 18 months of burning in a reactor.
His words are his words. Has nothing to do with my opinion. That was all Elon Musk
He clearly sees nuclear energy as a good idea.

Chernobyl was a design that was never and never would be approved in the West.

I‘m curious though; In your opinion Are Teslas unsafe because Chevy Volts have burned?
we should ban all EVs then because of those fires now shouldn’t we?

Reactions: mangrove79

AND

AND

AND

So why isn't he putting his money where his mouth is? Why did he invest ~$100M on solar panels for the Giga Factory instead of $1.5B for a SMR?

His words are his words. Has nothing to do with my opinion. That was all Elon Musk
He clearly sees nuclear energy as a good idea.

Chernobyl was a design that was never and never would be approved in the West.

I‘m curious though; In your opinion Are Teslas unsafe because Chevy Volts have burned?
we should ban all EVs then because of those fires now shouldn’t we?
Musk didn't make a distinction.

Reactions: eevee-fan
Musk didn't make a distinction.
No he didn’t Why would he?
That awful Soviet design was never even used in the West. Would never even have gotten approval if it were considered and is never being built again anywhere.

Or are you suggesting by not mentioning an outdated Soviet design he somehow approves of it and supports building obviously poor failed old technology.?

Reactions: mangrove79
Just read the OP again.
That didn't age well at all

Apparently Bloomberg failed to predict a supply chain disrupting pandemic, the stubbornness of petrol addicts and Russian petrol-crats that don't accept the borders of sovereign states. But even oil companies are reluctant to place too heavy a bet on an industry with a limited future.

Wrong about eating food in a high radiation area.
Wrong about building new nuclear (if indeed he does think that).
He's not perfect, in spite of what some fanbois think.
I don't think he's perfect.
But he's certainly brilliant and has proven that as well as being an engineer and expert on sustainable energy .
You and I are unknown people chatting on a forum.
Believe what you want. , I will believe what I think makes sense. And Elon Musk will believe what he believes.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I don't think he's perfect.
But he's certainly brilliant and has proven that as well as being an engineer and expert on sustainable energy .

As is evidenced by the fact he invests heavily in solar and storage while not at all in nuclear. Actions speak louder than words. ;)

The guy invested in reusable rockets. He’s clearly not risk adverse but even nuclear power holds too little hope to justify investment.