Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: mspohr

The European parliament has backed plans to label gas and nuclear energy as “green”, rejecting appeals from prominent Ukrainians and climate activists that the proposals are a gift to Vladimir Putin. One senior MEP said the vote was a “dark day for the climate”, while experts said the EU had set a dangerous precedent for countries to follow.

Under the plans, gas can be classed as a sustainable investment if “the same energy capacity cannot be generated with renewable sources” and plans are in place to switch to renewables or “low-carbon gases”. Nuclear power can be called green if a project promises to deal with radioactive waste.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and DrGriz

The European parliament has backed plans to label gas and nuclear energy as “green”, rejecting appeals from prominent Ukrainians and climate activists that the proposals are a gift to Vladimir Putin. One senior MEP said the vote was a “dark day for the climate”, while experts said the EU had set a dangerous precedent for countries to follow.

Under the plans, gas can be classed as a sustainable investment if “the same energy capacity cannot be generated with renewable sources” and plans are in place to switch to renewables or “low-carbon gases”. Nuclear power can be called green if a project promises to deal with radioactive waste.
Disappointing. But feeling optimistic on my end that much of this is political theater related to ostensibly appeasing different lobbies and demographics.

Europe for the first time has real internal and national security costs for now moving as quickly as possible to renewables.

BGR: MIT scientists think they’ve discovered how to fully reverse climate change.

I can see big oiling funding this. By blocking out the sun somewhat, they can reduce solar production and make the world rely on oil and gas. 😆

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
BGR: MIT scientists think they’ve discovered how to fully reverse climate change.

I can see big oiling funding this. By blocking out the sun somewhat, they can reduce solar production and make the world rely on oil and gas. 😆
All I have to say is "What could possibly go wrong?"

Germany only gets 50 percent of it's energy from Russia? Germany doesn't seem to be able to increase renewables before winter? Musk could deploy mega packs to support the grid.

More exciting tech than Elon's boring machine. LOL

As battery storage plants become more common, then what are they replacing? The answer is natural gas power plants, said Ric O’Connell, founding executive director of GridLab, a nonprofit in Berkeley, California that provides clean energy expertise to advocates and policymakers.

GridLab has been studying how California can move toward a cleaner grid, including a report issued in May that shows pathways for getting the state to 85 percent carbon-free electricity by 2030. All of them include big increases in solar and batteries. “We think we can retire probably half the gas (power plants) in the state and still be reliable,” O’Connell said. By that, he means that gas plants can continue to close as other resources come online over the remainder of the decade.

Reactions: bruce4000

As battery storage plants become more common, then what are they replacing? The answer is natural gas power plants, said Ric O’Connell, founding executive director of GridLab, a nonprofit in Berkeley, California that provides clean energy expertise to advocates and policymakers.

GridLab has been studying how California can move toward a cleaner grid, including a report issued in May that shows pathways for getting the state to 85 percent carbon-free electricity by 2030. All of them include big increases in solar and batteries. “We think we can retire probably half the gas (power plants) in the state and still be reliable,” O’Connell said. By that, he means that gas plants can continue to close as other resources come online over the remainder of the decade.
I think that once PG&E figures out their brand spanking new battery in Moss-landing becomes cheaper as it cycles more often, they'll cycle on the peakers daily (combined with batteries) to replace baseloads like coal.

CABatteryPowerUseICE700px.png

This chart is exactly my point. See that section between 11pm and 6am when batteries are idle, nat gas is winding down (since 8pm), and imports are rising? That's a point in time when the batteries could be sopping up power (for a second charge/discharge cycle) to carry the baseloads for a few hours before 7am.

Do these large Battery Storage Units work well in extreme cold?
In California, there's no need to install them in the coldest places. In fact, the biggest ones are near the coast where the weather is the most consistent. However, given that they are now housed in something like a shipping container, it's relatively easy to maintain thermal conditioning.

There was also a recent installation in Alaska. So, I think that proves they are fine in the cold.

Reactions: bruce4000