Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One concern that comes up on these threads frequently is that China continues to build coal generation capacity even if it as a percent of its energy inputs is not growing.

Not being here to defend China, but to suggest one of their reasons is likely them having large reserves of the stuff whereas little of natural gas and oil, by comparison. Following their general modus operandi of industrial policies, it is consistent with them over-building capacity in coal generation to game out "what if" geopolitical scenarios where they might envision themselves as needing to be energy self sufficient for a lengthy period of time.

One concern that comes up on these threads frequently is that China continues to build coal generation capacity even if it as a percent of its energy inputs is not growing.

Not being here to defend China, but to suggest one of their reasons is likely them having large reserves of the stuff whereas little of natural gas and oil, by comparison. Following their general modus operandi of industrial policies, it is consistent with them over-building capacity in coal generation to game out "what if" geopolitical scenarios where they might envision themselves as needing to be energy self sufficient for a lengthy period of time.
Ok but China has also a big potential capacity of renewables. Why don't they increase their renewables and decide to become energy self sufficient with renewables rather than using coal?
Considering the gravity of the Climate Change issue this attitude of China to increase their coal capacity is a threat for mankind IMO.

Ok but China has also a big potential capacity of renewables. Why don't they increase their renewables and decide to become energy self sufficient with renewables rather than using coal?
Considering the gravity of the Climate Change issue this attitude of China to increase their coal capacity is a threat for mankind IMO.
Under the most optimistic scenarios, they are many years away from being able to go 100% renewable and handle intermittency emergency issues, seasonality issues, once in 10-100 year weather pattern systems, etc. Would rather see them not build extra coal generation capacity but more optimistic that they’ll continue to let more and more of that capacity go unused.

The unholy alliance between America’s governments and the fossil fuel industry has been going on for decades, undeterred and unpunished. Federal and state governments subsidize and facilitate the production and consumption of oil, natural gas and coal despite knowing these products are permanently damaging life on a planetary scale. Many of our elected officials have participated in a carbon cartel that has blocked effective climate action. U.S. scientists began warning in the 1950s that fossil fuels were changing the climate. Yet fossil fuels still provide about 80 percent of U.S. energy, and America has become the world’s biggest oil and gas producer. The Teapot Dome scandal involved oil industry bribes of a single public official. Today, the oil industry can influence elected officials with unlimited campaign contributions, unrelenting lobbying, and expensive advertising campaigns to burnish the industry’s image.

Open Secrets reports that the oil and gas industry spent over a trillion dollars on election campaigns between 1990 and last month. Between 1990 and 2020, five big oil companies reportedly spent at least $3.6 billion on advertising. While scientists have determined that most of the world’s underground reserves of fossil fuels must remain, the U.S. oil and gas industry keeps drilling, netting an average of $2.8 billion a day over the last 50 years, according to Statista, a data analysis firm. Statista says the industry made more than a trillion dollars annually for much of the past decade.

The unholy alliance between America’s governments and the fossil fuel industry has been going on for decades, undeterred and unpunished. Federal and state governments subsidize and facilitate the production and consumption of oil, natural gas and coal despite knowing these products are permanently damaging life on a planetary scale. Many of our elected officials have participated in a carbon cartel that has blocked effective climate action. U.S. scientists began warning in the 1950s that fossil fuels were changing the climate. Yet fossil fuels still provide about 80 percent of U.S. energy, and America has become the world’s biggest oil and gas producer. The Teapot Dome scandal involved oil industry bribes of a single public official. Today, the oil industry can influence elected officials with unlimited campaign contributions, unrelenting lobbying, and expensive advertising campaigns to burnish the industry’s image.

Open Secrets reports that the oil and gas industry spent over a trillion dollars on election campaigns between 1990 and last month. Between 1990 and 2020, five big oil companies reportedly spent at least $3.6 billion on advertising. While scientists have determined that most of the world’s underground reserves of fossil fuels must remain, the U.S. oil and gas industry keeps drilling, netting an average of $2.8 billion a day over the last 50 years, according to Statista, a data analysis firm. Statista says the industry made more than a trillion dollars annually for much of the past decade.
But I think we should also add that now the USA is the Country who is investing more than all other Countries all over the world to transition to a Clean Energy future.

See the speech of Vice President Kamala Harris at COP28.

But I think we should also add that now the USA is the Country who is investing more than all other Countries all over the world to transition to a Clean Energy future.

An "all of the above" investment strategy is a strategy for failure.
We need to stop investing in fossil fuels. Complete stop.

Are you sure? Seems China is investing more in renewables than the USA... mainly because we have a party that is funded by the fossil fuel industry and totally against renewables.

Since there is disagreement I report the speech of Vice President Kamala Harris at COP28

"PRESIDENT BIDEN AND I HAVE MADE THE LARGEST CLIMATE INVESTMENT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR COUNTRY AND SOME HAVE SAID IN THE WORLD. Today we are demonstrating through action how the world can and must meet the climate crisis. In order to keep our critical 1.5 degrees Celsius goal within reach we must have the ambition to meet this moment."

Vice President Kamala Harris at COP28

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr
Since there is disagreement I report the speech of Vice President Kamala Harris at COP28

"PRESIDENT BIDEN AND I HAVE MADE THE LARGEST CLIMATE INVESTMENT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR COUNTRY AND SOME HAVE SAID IN THE WORLD. Today we are demonstrating through action how the world can and must meet the climate crisis. In order to keep our critical 1.5 degrees Celsius goal within reach we must have the ambition to meet this moment."

Vice President Kamala Harris at COP28
"some have said" is wiggle room for lie. It might be the largest investment in US history, but spending historic amounts of money on inflated prices (think pentagon spending $10,000 on a toilet seat) doesn't make for "largest investment" against climate change. Removing fossil fuel production would have a far LARGER impact.

"some have said" is wiggle room for lie. It might be the largest investment in US history, but spending historic amounts of money on inflated prices (think pentagon spending $10,000 on a toilet seat) doesn't make for "largest investment" against climate change. Removing fossil fuel production would have a far LARGER impact.
Sorry but I disagree. Not possible to get rid of fossil fuels without having first developed renewables and a clean energy future.
I mean everybody wants to phase out from oil and fossil fuels but we need to transition to a Clean Energy future to do it.

This is what Vice President Kamala Harris meant at COP28 IMO. Luckily we have the committment of Vice President Kamala Harris and President Joe Biden to accomplish this ambitious plan.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Sorry but I disagree. Not possible to get rid of fossil fuels without having first developed renewables and a clean energy future.
I mean everybody wants to phase out from oil and fossil fuels but we need to transition to a Clean Energy future to do it.

This is what Vice President Kamala Harris meant at COP28 IMO. Luckily we have the committment of Vice President Kamala Harris and President Joe Biden to accomplish this ambitious plan.

Forgive me, but I'll have to hold off on praising their "committment". As someone who voted for them, I felt disillusioned by how their perspective got tainted by politics, to the point where they introduced policies that actively worked AGAINST Tesla and SpaceX. It makes their committment ring hollow.

Forgive me, but I'll have to hold off on praising their "committment". As someone who voted for them, I felt disillusioned by how their perspective got tainted by politics, to the point where they introduced policies that actively worked AGAINST Tesla and SpaceX. It makes their committment ring hollow.

Agreed, US is known for talk, China is known for action. ;)

"So, Americans pay for fossil fuels four times: first through tax subsidies, second in energy bills, third with health care and environmental cleanup costs, and fourth with the rapidly growing costs of climate-induced disasters."

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and Genie

Our choices shouldn't be between bad and worse! This is a dichotomy that's been forced upon us by the political machines. Anyway, I'm going way off-topic. I only brought up my distrust of the administration's "committment", because you firmly believe that it'll will matter. It won't. We've reached the point where economics (Thanks to Tesla) will drive the renewable energy push and Trump won't be able to stop it. He tried during his administration and will also fail IF he somehow gets a second term. If Biden wins, and renewables become the predominant source of electricity in the US, it won't be because of his presidency!

Government policy doesn't drive innovation. This was made clear by CARB's failed initial EV mandate in 1990! The follow-up mandates would've failed too, if some rich idiot didn't spend all his money to push the engineering (no radical new tech needed to be developed) forward. Engineering and market forces drives innovation.