Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Coal fell to 15.9% of US electricity and to 5% or less in 22 States in 2023.

The 22 States are CA, CT, DE, FL, HI, ID, LA, ME, MD, MA, MS, NH, NJ, NY, NV, OK, OR, PA, RI, VT, VA, WA.

Coal is zero or nearly gone in 22 states. Next gas!

Bottom line: coal has fallen, gas is next BUT ONLY IN THE USA.

We know that for instance in India the situation for what is concerning coal consumption is completely different.

Too many still thinking fossil fuel is cheap - because it does not account for the cost of burning fossil fuels. The bad news is that everyone shares in the cost regardless! :(

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr

This is the world’s first steel made without burning fossil fuels. Steel is a massive emitter so this is hugely important!

I invite all TMC Members to watch the reported video.

Hydrogen. Not optional.

So we stop adding solar once we have enough to charge cars? Why?

H2 isn't optional. Why not keep adding solar so we can get H2 from H2O instead of CH4?

View attachment 1057947

"This propaganda is spun out of six key terms that dominate the language of climate politics: alarmist, cost, growth, “India and China,” innovation, and resilience."

This is why I keep jumping on the India/China excuse we keep hearing here as an excuse to do nothing.

Reactions: mspohr
Of course if produce more Clean Energy than that which you used you can still continue to have a positive Carbon Footprint if you do many plane trips and you use heavily an ICE car.

I mean you have to refer to the Table in the quoted post to calculate your own Carbon Footprint.
I am not sure I agree but maybe a 2nd language is getting in the way. One should produce more clean energy than the total energy they use. If say today my solar produced 30kWh, and I used 15 kWh directly sent 15kWh to the grid, but then used 40 from the grid during the night, I would be net negative as I used 55 kWh that day but only produced 30kWh. This is what China is doing. Yes they are producing a lot of clean renewable energy and they do export solar panels and batteries. BUT China also uses the most coal by far, making them also the most carbon negative country in the world. Hopefully coal use will peak this year and begin to decline, but so far coal use has continued to increase.

I am not sure I agree but maybe a 2nd language is getting in the way. One should produce more clean energy than the total energy they use. If say today my solar produced 30kWh, and I used 15 kWh directly sent 15kWh to the grid, but then used 40 from the grid during the night, I would be net negative as I used 55 kWh that day but only produced 30kWh. This is what China is doing. Yes they are producing a lot of clean renewable energy and they do export solar panels and batteries. BUT China also uses the most coal by far, making them also the most carbon negative country in the world. Hopefully coal use will peak this year and begin to decline, but so far coal use has continued to increase.

What if the "customer countries" get credited for both green and non-green energy in China? Meaning, US should get credited for being responsible for the coal use in China because we keep buying stuff from China made using coal power. At the same time, China should get credited for green energy in the "customer countries" because without solar panels from China, those countries will be burning fossil fuel - probably even coal.

This goes back to the discussion about "how many Earths will you need if the rest of the world lives like the US"...

Reactions: dhrivnak
What if the "customer countries" get credited for both green and non-green energy in China? Meaning, US should get credited for being responsible for the coal use in China because we keep buying stuff from China made using coal power. At the same time, China should get credited for green energy in the "customer countries" because without solar panels from China, those countries will be burning fossil fuel - probably even coal.

This goes back to the discussion about "how many Earths will you need if the rest of the world lives like the US"...
While I like the concept it is not one easy to track unless the world, or at least a good part of it, agrees to a price on carbon.

Coal fell to 15.9% of US electricity and to 5% or less in 22 States in 2023.

The 22 States are CA, CT, DE, FL, HI, ID, LA, ME, MD, MA, MS, NH, NJ, NY, NV, OK, OR, PA, RI, VT, VA, WA.

Coal is zero or nearly gone in 22 states. Next gas!

Bottom line: coal has fallen, gas is next BUT ONLY IN THE USA.

We know that for instance in India the situation for what is concerning coal consumption is completely different.
In the USA, coal generation was actually up through March, but that was due to high generation in January. February and March 2024 were more record lows for those months, aided by relatively low demand, especially in March. March had renewables up and fossils down.

I can't see natural gas going down too fast in the USA. It's been growing apace as coal has been converted to gas or closed, Although solar PV installations have picked up, and battery is going OK, wind installation isn't that fast.

You should see natural gas usage decline in some other countries as well.
The UK has had natural gas use decrease because of higher prices and continued deployment of renewables into a natural-gas-heavy grid.
There's also been an increase in heat pump installation, but it's been slow to get going.
It should also increase from 2025 as new homes will not be allowed to connect to the natural gas grid.
There's a lot of anti-heat-pump misinformation floating around, there's up front cost, including some additional cost if people need to change some plumbing (this is for central heating), plus they need to train people up.
It's not that it'd be _really_ difficult because there's a lot of natural gas boilers replaced every year, so there's a lot of people working in HVAC, although they're used to natural gas.

So who do you think is burning more coal than China, getting total coal use is much easier than determine how much CO2 is associated with a Solus inverter made in China.

You still don't get it. The big question is "what if the whole world lived like the USA". China is burning all that coal for the benefit (and cost) to the res of the world that keeps buying stuff from China. As long as our demand outpaced China's ability add renewable, it is really our fault.

You still don't get it. The big question is "what if the whole world lived like the USA". China is burning all that coal for the benefit (and cost) to the res of the world that keeps buying stuff from China. As long as our demand outpaced China's ability add renewable, it is really our fault.
I get that part of it, but what I do not get is your solution. Telling the US to stop buying mostly crap is akin to spitting in the wind.

Mostly in the sense that it increases energy demand, so if the grid doesn't have much overhead, it can cause brownouts.

Unusually high temperatures could also increase some hardware failures.
So we have another good reason for NET ZERO, which is useful not only to work out the Climate Change issue, but also to become completely independent from the grid which could fail.